Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

I thought he got involved quite well but kept going offside. I'm not sure if he's runs are out or the passes a bit slow. He good technically and will score goals as he always makes runs. Personally I'd rather a striker make runs all the time than stand still waiting for the ball like Gabby.

Only signing so far to not show much. Give him time though, scored 12 goals last season in a decent league and is still young.

Yep. Big transition too and he has come into a new league, new team, with new players who are also learning. 

He's not getting many chances to show case what he was bought for... scoring goals. Hopefully he gets better. Angel looked bad first 6 months.. even Benteke struggled.

Only signing so far to not show much. Give him time though, scored 12 goals last season in a decent league and is still young.

That's my worry, whilst all the new lads are still finding their feet (maybe with the exception of Amavi who hit the ground running) to a certain extent there is clearly something there, with Ayew though I'm just not seeing anything yet.

He played down the middle tonight and his movement was poor, when he did make a run he was constantly offside (taking over from Betenke in one department then).

It's still far to early to think we have signed a dud but he really does have to improve to justify his price tag.

He did score, not 100% sure what had happened to make it not count.

Offside (one of many). 

On the positive side with this lad, you can see he's an athlete. He looks in good physical shape. That's as much as I can say positive right now. Like I said in the post-match thread, he was constantly offside, didn't read any of our attacking patterns, and was often to be found hidden behind a defender when midfielders were looking for a pass. 

I think he needs to be taken out of the firing line for a while. Until he can read Grealish/Sinclair/Gil and their attacking patterns, he just isn't going to be of much use. Get him thinking on the same page on the training ground first for me. Right now he looks brainless like Gabby, but unlike Gabby, at least time is on his side.  

Well that's something that can be taught. He does have the attributes so fingers crossed we sort him out. Another few million we could have got Austin. So it's a massive dissapointment if it doesn't work out. Early days yet

Offside (one of many).

On the positive side with this lad, you can see he's an athlete. He looks in good physical shape. That's as much as I can say positive right now. Like I said in the post-match thread, he was constantly offside, didn't read any of our attacking patterns, and was often to be found hidden behind a defender when midfielders were looking for a pass.

I think he needs to be taken out of the firing line for a while. Until he can read Grealish/Sinclair/Gil and their attacking patterns, he just isn't going to be of much use. Get him thinking on the same page on the training ground first for me. Right now he looks brainless like Gabby, but unlike Gabby, at least time is on his side.

Was he offside or someone else? He didn't look it

Offside (one of many).

If I recall correctly, and I might very well not at this point (I really mainly remember the linesman flagging for offside, I'm a bit hazier about the buildup) but I feel like he may have been unlucky, in that County might have tried to clear the ball, kicking it against one of our players in the process, with the rebound falling to Ayew who was just offside? That could be wrong though. 

Offside (one of many).

I think Bakers header hit Cole on the line then it fell to Ayew who scored but Cole was offside! He just needs a break to get him going.

It's a real shame that he didn't impress. He has a lot of work to do to settle in and get up to speed.

You'd expect him to impose himself more on a side like Notts County. I appreciate it will take time for him to get going but from what I've seen I don't think he's putting enough effort in. He's a much superior athlete compared to the Notts Count players, he should have made that tell. 

Isn't he supposed to be a bit moody though? Maybe he was in a strop because he had to play against lower league opposition? 

That obviously doesn't excuse it but might shed some light on his less than convincing performance. 

I have concerns about his aggression, it tends to be those players that like a battle and a fight that settle in England, but for me, pace is the big worry - he's the type of player that I thought relied on quickness, but he doesn't seem particularly quick and has been outpaced on a number of occasions, including last night. The rest I think can change, he'll start to adjust to the team and to English football, but I don't think he can get quicker.

Offside (one of many).

I think Bakers header hit Cole on the line then it fell to Ayew who scored but Cole was offside! He just needs a break to get him going.

Yeah, that sounds right actually, sorry I got muddled. 

He needs a goal. Once he gets that first one I think it'll do him the world of good and he'll settle down.

Slightly OT but I always felt the same with Savo, remember when he got his hattrick against Coventry, the roof nearly come of the holte end.

Back OT, Sadly I don't see it with Ayew. Like I said above, with some players (irrelevant of performance) you see the class and know its a matter of settling into a new environment, (Could be said of Veretout, certainly of Savo) I hope I'm wrong but with Ayew it just looks like a lack of ability.

I really really hope I end up with egg on my face

Edited by av1

Â