Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

Will be a shame if he goes, but if it is for north of £15m and we can get a replacement in fast (not easy in January) then I wouldn't mind as much as I might have in the summer. 

We probably need to rethink our entire supply chain to the strikers, because it hasn't been working. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2017 at 09:03, TrentVilla said:

He was rubbish in the 1st half against Forest, he had a good spell in the second half where he got two assists. Somehow in the sands of time that has beeen lost and he is deemed to have been excellent the whole game which really wasn't the case.

It's entirely subjective, isn't it.

I suppose if you were absolutely determined to minimise his impact on that game you could describe- through gritted teeth- the time around the two goals as simply a good spell. The inference being he did nothing else all game. 

As I recall it, he was our most dangerous player first half, even if he did screw a shot horribly wide (if that's where the idea he was rubbish emanates from) and absolutely ran the show second half. 

Derby he was MOTM in a more disciplined central midfield role, Sheff Wed away he was our biggest attacking threat. Newcastle at home he turned the game, and so on and so forth. 

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I rate Ayew for what it's worth but I appreciate that there may be a better player out there in that price bracket. Particularly on the wing. The main issue is, are they available?

Pretty much my feelings. I rate Ayew as one of our better players, but he's a square peg in a round hole for us. If we can get decent money for him and buy someone with quality that can naturally play wide left, then I'd be okay with moving him on.

The problem is I don't think we can attract a player the 'known' quality of Ayew right now, despite how hugely frustrating and inconsistent he is, he is still a highly rated player that quite a few lower level Prem clubs would buy purely because of his reputation in France and internationally. And i don't rate him that highly anymore as he's never really delivered yet.

Yes we could probably get better but it would be a gamble on a unknown quantity and I can't remember the last time a single one of our gambles paid off, our transfer record has been nothing short of an abomination for years now. Kodjia and Chester aside it goes on being dire.

On 11/01/2017 at 17:18, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I rate Ayew for what it's worth but I appreciate that there may be a better player out there in that price bracket. Particularly on the wing. The main issue is, are they available?

I think that the highlighted bit is my main issue with Ayew, I'm just not sure what he is/does. The bloke has a bit of ability but he isn't a winger for me. I put wingers in 2 brackets:

I) There is the traditional winger (for old farts like me) who hugs the byline, beats his man and gets in a cross. These sort of men get their kicks from the amount of assists they get. 

II) Then there are the Hazard (modern) sorts, they start on the wing but drift all over the place. These are very skilled, more technical sorts. 

Ayew is neither of these and as such offers pretty damn little. And least said about his contribution as a center striker the better.

Non plussed about this. Could be great, but I think he is just not right for us. Maybe right man but definitely wrong time. We need to get back to basics and looks like Bruce is doing just that, would rather see a solid midfield five with Kodjia upfront Drogba style, like we should've with Benteke.

He's got talent but he's not prolific enough to be playing up front and not effective enough on the wing.

Nothing against the lad but if he can get £15m from China then lets cash in

• Like 4

On 11/01/2017 at 17:18, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If we could get Brady for similar price to what we get for ayew then  think it would benefit us .

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

He's got talent but he's not prolific enough to be playing up front and not effective enough on the wing.

Nail on the head.

There is no doubt he is a talented player and I reckon he would look great in training but he is a bit of a nomad in terms of where he should be playing.

Put him out wide and he almost never gets to the byline and puts a cross in. Instead he constantly cuts inside then slows play down in having to beat the same player a couple of times. He is also so frustrating as at times he could play others in but is very much head down and doesn't look up. In fairness to him earlier on in the season that selfish approach was working as he was cutting inside and getting shots off but for the last 3 or 4 months that hasn't been the case.

Up top he can't hold the ball up and doesn't seem to have the awareness to run in behind defenders or that natural instinct to find space in the box.

It has been suggested his best position is in the hole behind a front man but I think in McCormack and Grealish we have better players for that position.

You can't fault his work rate but I think for balance what we desperately need is someone on the left more in the mould of Adomah on the right. A natural wide man and if we can get the kind of money being reported for Ayew then we should comfortably be able to find an effective one.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Just something to consider. I understand the feeling that he has been less effective than most Villa fans hoped going forward but when played out wide he has a shit load of tracking back to do to help cover for the FB.

In today's game being effective going forward while constantly having to track back is a very hard thing to do stamina wise.

If Villa sign better midfielders this window who can actually hit a through ball for Ayew to run onto but also have good positional sense to sit when needed to help negate Ayew's defensive duties then you might see a more effective Ayew in the run in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Just something to consider. I understand the feeling that he has been less effective than most Villa fans hoped going forward but when played out wide he has a shit load of tracking back to do to help cover for the FB.

In today's game being effective going forward while constantly having to track back is a very hard thing to do stamina wise.

If Villa sign better midfielders this window who can actually hit a through ball for Ayew to run onto but also have good positional sense to sit when needed to help negate Ayew's defensive duties then you might see a more effective Ayew in the run in.

He has all the awareness of a cluster of blind hedgehogs in bag

• Like 3

He's like when an athlete from another sport takes part in one of them charity matches against the likes of Gordon Ramsey and Robbie Williams etc, athletic as **** but spends the entire game shinning the ball out of play

sell sell sell

• Like 1

Â