Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't buy this, his decision making and execution of pass has not been up to par in a lot of games. I think he's a talented player, but is unable to piece it all together consistently, plus overall his decision making isn't very good, these issues are all his fault and his alone. 

With his ability he ought to be showing that he's a level above this division every time he plays, unfortunately for us he doesn't show this often enough.

I disagree for the most part. He's a forward thinking player who likes to make things happen. When he keeps hold of the ball too long or gets caught in possession, it's often to do with minimal to no movement from those around him. You can tell from his body language with every backwards pass he's forced to make that he really doesn't enjoy doing it. 

10 hours ago, TRO said:

The problem with them all is consistency.....thats one of the reasons SB is for ever swapping them around.

I totally agree. He absolutely deserved to be dropped after that Norwich performance, as did Grealish. That was never the point being made, his form was in the toilet and he is extremely frustrating. 

However, I also find it frustrating to see so many people now coming to 'defend' Ayew and stating that they know he has the ability, following weeks of unopposed talk of booting him out. It makes Villa Talk so bloody predictable at times, I'd much rather hear from Trent today ;)

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Why? One run and cross hasn't changed my view on him just as one poor performance wouldn't change yours.

Because I'm wondering what it will take for you to accept that he has the ability, if not the consistency yet, to make it here. It wasn't a pop at you as such, only that you've been his most visible detractor, so your name sprang to mind. 

It wasn't just "one run and cross" either, at least that's not what I'm basing my argument on. It was his general drive, ambition and end product that won us the game yesterday. Not to mention the kind of tackle a defender would be lauded for. I also saw him smile at one point ;)

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Because I'm wondering what it will take for you to accept that he has the ability, if not the consistency yet, to make it here. It wasn't a pop at you as such, only that you've been his most visible detractor, so your name sprang to mind. 

It wasn't just "one run and cross" either, at least that's not what I'm basing my argument on. It was his general drive, ambition and end product that won us the game yesterday. Not to mention the kind of tackle a defender would be lauded for. I also saw him smile at one point ;)

I've only seen the highlights so that's all I've seen.

Ive never said he is without ability, you are projecting an opinion on me that Ive not expressed. He clearly has ability on the ball, what i think he lacks is ability to use what talent he has to have a meaningful impact on a game or contribution to the team, I think he lacks the awareness of team mates and the game in general to change that.

If anything I'm more critical because there is some ability there but his contribution this season has, in my view, been woeful.

I'm delighted his contribution helped us win the game yesterday but it's one moment in one game. For what we paid for him and what we continue to pay for him he should have contributed more.

My view therefore remains the same, if we sold him and replaced him with someone who had a bigger impact on the team I'd be happy. Much as we did with Adama/Adoma. Frankly I struggle to understand why that stance is so difficult for some to swallow, in theory it applies to all players at all times.

As for Ayew himself, we've had glimpses of impact from him before such as the second half against Forest. If he can do it with anything even remotely resembling consistency then I'll change my view on him as it is I fully expect him to continue in much the same vein.

• Like 3

It's not "one moment in one game" thought is it as you yourself say. 

I accept your view that if we had replaced him with somebody who had a more consistent impact, just as we did Adomah for Adama, you would be happy. That's fine, I'm not finding that difficult to swallow at all. You are now arguing against a point I haven't made. However I think that is a lot more difficult a task than you make it sound. Players with his ability AND consistency don't grow on trees, if we can find them I too would be elated. 

I'd still want us to keep Ayew, for his ability to impact a game in such a short space of time. Like yesterday, like Reading, like Forest. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

I don't understand how a less impactful player (say, Grealish) gets lauded but Ayew gets criticised for not doing enough. They basically play the same role. Why is one given all the time in the world and "must start" whereas the other gets called up for "not doing enough"?

(FWIW, I think I'd start them both)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't understand how a less impactful player (say, Grealish) gets lauded but Ayew gets criticised for not doing enough. They basically play the same role. Why is one given all the time in the world and "must start" whereas the other gets called up for "not doing enough"?

(FWIW, I think I'd start them both)

Over the course of this season, Grealish has had a bigger impact. 

If it was left to individual player ability and nothing else .... we would be challenging in the top 6

but its much more than that.

Steve Bruce has conceded in the local press that some of these players inc Ayew have had their confidence ripped apart with last season and early this.

He said it takes some rebuilding.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I've only seen the highlights so that's all I've seen.

Ive never said he is without ability, you are projecting an opinion on me that Ive not expressed. He clearly has ability on the ball, what i think he lacks is ability to use what talent he has to have a meaningful impact on a game or contribution to the team, I think he lacks the awareness of team mates and the game in general to change that.

If anything I'm more critical because there is some ability there but his contribution this season has, in my view, been woeful.

I'm delighted his contribution helped us win the game yesterday but it's one moment in one game. For what we paid for him and what we continue to pay for him he should have contributed more.

My view therefore remains the same, if we sold him and replaced him with someone who had a bigger impact on the team I'd be happy. Much as we did with Adama/Adoma. Frankly I struggle to understand why that stance is so difficult for some to swallow, in theory it applies to all players at all times.

As for Ayew himself, we've had glimpses of impact from him before such as the second half against Forest. If he can do it with anything even remotely resembling consistency then I'll change my view on him as it is I fully expect him to continue in much the same vein.

Frustratingly I think you both have valid points.

both Ayew and Grealish made a significant impact when they came on their talent was in start contrast to what had been dished up.

Grealish is definately looking stronger and more durable and still retaining that Steve Heighway/Tommy Hutchinson gangly elusiveness

However, we need that for a full game not half an hour.....but baby steps and all that.

Sunderland are rumored to lose both Defoe and Borini in January.

Wonder if they will come in and rival the Chinese for Ayew?

If not they are free to take Kozak, Gabby, Gestede or even for the right money McCormack off our hands.

@sne I can't see Defoe being sold, it is throwing the towel in.

Ayew won't attract PL teams at present, as has been pointed out above, he really needs to show consistency of a long period. He is certainly not a team player and as an individual, whilst there is an occasional spark of genius, he is just not stand out enough to warrant interest from bottom half teams and top half teams will have better players/systems.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Sunderland are rumored to lose both Defoe and Borini in January.

Wonder if they will come in and rival the Chinese for Ayew?

If not they can take Kozak, Gabby, Gestede for free or even for the right money McCormack off our hands.

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1

Â