Micah Richards

Demitri_C

anything under 6ft is a full back defender not centre back, maybe im pigeon holing a little, best of luck to him, always liked him

World Cup winning Fabio Cannavaro at 5' 9" disagrees with your assumption.

While Cannavaro also sprang to mind for me too, I think we can all agree that Cannavaro was a world class centre half. Richards has operated as a decent rightback for the majority of his first team apperances.

Error.

Richards needs a leader and organiser alongside him as his positional sense isn't great at all, I'm not sure which of our other central defenders would provide that? Maybe Senderos but he seems out the door.

Not sure what he's like in the air defending crosses and corners, we have conceded plenty of header goals under Sherwood's watch so that is room for improvement next season.

Clark.

Ciaran Clark has strung a couple of months decent form together...we're not talking about a season in season out experienced premier league defender quite yet. Can Clark keep it up or will his form nosedive again?

I'd rather he just concentrate on his own game than be given the leadership role in the back 4.

If it's natural to him, he'll take the leadership role. I think it is. Ciaran is one of those people who seem to thrive when given responsibility.

• Like 1

Oh I know he was world class, my point was that him being of average height didn't stop him being world class. If anything stops Richards being a world class centre half, it won't be his height.

Error.

Richards needs a leader and organiser alongside him as his positional sense isn't great at all, I'm not sure which of our other central defenders would provide that? Maybe Senderos but he seems out the door.

Not sure what he's like in the air defending crosses and corners, we have conceded plenty of header goals under Sherwood's watch so that is room for improvement next season.

Clark.

Ciaran Clark has strung a couple of months decent form together...we're not talking about a season in season out experienced premier league defender quite yet. Can Clark keep it up or will his form nosedive again?

I'd rather he just concentrate on his own game than be given the leadership role in the back 4.

It is what Clark does naturally. Still disappointed he was not made captain - he is a natural.

Welcome to the club Micah! 

Nice to see this deal come off and it does show Tim can persuade quality players to sign for him when they have other options. 

This could well end up being seen as the best value catch of this transfer window.  

Must be alot of man city fans here, saying hes no good at cb, must of watched alot of man city when he was there even though he played more at rb.

Solid defender at either cb or rb. Nobodys seen him play for awhile so to come out with those kinda comments is stupid.

Must be alot of man city fans here, saying hes no good at cb, must of watched alot of man city when he was there even though he played more at rb.

Solid defender at either cb or rb. Nobodys seen him play for awhile so to come out with those kinda comments is stupid.

I agree that he shouldn't be dismissed as a centre-back, purely because he has never played there enough to make a conclusive judgement. I don't recall him ever having a run there since his initial breakthrough all those years ago. On the same basis, it's also equally baseless to say with certainty that he is 'solid' as a centre-back.

Edited by Isa

I agree that he shouldn't be dismissed as a centre-back, purely because he has never played there enough to make a conclusive judgement. I don't recall him ever having a run there since his initial breakthrough all those years ago. On the same basis, it's also equally baseless to say with certainty that he is 'solid' as a centre-back.
Hes solid defensivly i meant

For a first signing I'm happy enough with Richards, the Richards I recall would stroll into our team.

Anyone worried should judge how he does playing for us, personally I prefer him to Vlaar.

Welcome Micah Richards, to the best team in the world....bar Barcelona, Bradford, Real Mad... ;)

For a first signing I'm happy enough with Richards, the Richards I recall would stroll into our team.

Anyone worried should judge how he does playing for us, personally I prefer him to Vlaar.

Welcome Micah Richards, to the best team in the world....bar Barcelona, Bradford, Real Mad... ;)

Second

I think those questioning the signing, if Richards has indeed been signed as a CB, have every right to be concerned. He has never played there on a consistent basis, the coaches/ managers he has worked with in the past have not considered him a CB, he has no real experience playing in the role and has barely played any football for three years.

He may turn out great there, but it is just as likely that he will struggle horribly at CB.

One massive plus point for this signing, is that it's a clear change in direction from the quality of players we've been signing in recent years.

Richards > Lowton/ Bennett/ Luna/ Senderos etc etc

This is the kind of signing that other teams would make and we would be saying "Yeah, it's a gamble, but it's a gamble that WE should be making!"

Richards on a free is better than Senderos or Richardson, in my opinion.

Richards is worth more, has years left to reach his potential and has played at a higher level than the other signings mentioned.

I don't think this signing has anything to do with a takeover, but I think it could be an indication that our wage bill issues are looking to be over, and we're now looking to pay competetive wages and sign players that we previously would have missed out on.

And finally......... Welcome Micah!

• Like 1

Â