Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Not sure if its been mentioned. Stuart Pearce on Talk sport has us finishing 17 in his predictor below Watford. Cheeky fracker.

To be fair given the way we have preformed the last few seasons and the beatings we took at the end of last year it's understandable. Our defence also looks ropey to say the least and we have a lot of untested premier league players in the squad. It could go either way this season. I wouldn't be suprised if we are in a relegation scrap again this season

Our defence doesn't look any more scrappy than last season tbf. We've basically swapped Vlaar with Richards and brought in a better LB. We weren't leaking like crazy last season so I don't think there'll be much difference this year, especially if we bring in another experienced CB and push Richards out on the right.

I think we have done well to sign players to boost our midfield so this looks positive. We've lost our star player but filled the gap with some promising players there too. On top of that I don't see us being goalless for long spells and suffering horrendous losing streaks like we did under Lambert. There will be ups and downs, sure, but it's pretty much a miracle we survived last season and I sincerely doubt we'll be as bad this year.

Up the Villa!

Not sure if its been mentioned. Stuart Pearce on Talk sport has us finishing 17 in his predictor below Watford. Cheeky fracker.

Weve been in a relegation battle for the last 4 seasons, have lost our better players, and haven't looked great pre season, 17th is entirley realistic.......and its not just Stuart Pearce, many pundits are predicting such a finish. 

Its not the death knell of course, pundits can and often are wrong. But I don't think 17th is an outrageous prediction.

• Like 3

I personally feel our business this pre season has been average and I don't think we have improved a whole lot as a team.

We are stronger in potentially two positions: Amavi > Cissokho / Veretout > Cleverley

We are infinitely weaker in terms of goals: Benteke > Gestede.

We need at least 2 new first team players to come in before I get excited about our prospects this season. Ideally we need 3...ST, CB, RW.

• Like 1

There's no way we are infinitely weaker than our worst goal scoring season in the entire 100+ years of the football club. That is complete nonsense.

I personally feel our business this pre season has been average and I don't think we have improved a whole lot as a team.

We are stronger in potentially two positions: Amavi > Cissokho / Veretout > Cleverley

We need at least 2 new first team players to come in before I get excited about our prospects this season. Ideally we need 3...ST, CB, RW.

I think Gueye will be an upgrade on Delph and Ayew will be an upgrade on Weimann FWIW.

We're stronger than last season - however, we're without Benteke which is a huge blow.

There's no way we are infinitely weaker than our worst goal scoring season in the entire 100+ years of the football club. That is complete nonsense.

i think what he's done is tried to move the dependency away from benteke rather than directly replace him

last years league goals - 

attackers - 23

midfield - 2

defence - 3

personally i think we can beat that without gestede needing to be better than benteke, and benteke only got 13 goals last year so its not an unrealistic statement to say he will beat it

• Like 1

I think Sherwood would gladly take 17th.

Not in a month of Sundays. He has bought a lot of "his" players, he's in his first major permanent job and needs to solidify the supposition he is a good manager. Those are just the selfish reasons on his end.

As regards the club, I genuinely believe he's attached and want's to better us, push us forward, it of course puts him in a favourable light but I think he has taken a shine to Villa. To suggest he would be happy with 17th is to suggest he would be happy at Lambert's level, you can't honeslty believe that is the case surely?

• Like 1

There's no way you can argue a point with the '100+' years line.

We were shite last season and relied massively on Benteke for goals. We have lost Benteke and the only direct replacement I can see is Gestede. This for me isn't great business and makes us massively weak up front.

We are still a poor side, highlighted in our poor pre-season performances.

Benteke scored 13 goals last season. He only really started banging them in come March.

Judging our potential on last season as a whole is almost impossible. Judging us on pre season is pointless too, always, they are kick abouts in the sun.

In truth I've absolutely no idea how this team will perform, I've never seen them play.

I would hazard a guess that even if we got those 3 in, you would not be happy.