Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I personally feel our business this pre season has been average and I don't think we have improved a whole lot as a team.

We are stronger in potentially two positions: Amavi > Cissokho / Veretout > Cleverley

We are infinitely weaker in terms of goals: Benteke > Gestede.

We need at least 2 new first team players to come in before I get excited about our prospects this season. Ideally we need 3...ST, CB, RW.

I would hazard a guess that even if we got those 3 in, you would not be happy.

Why wouldn't I be happy if we signed 3 more first team players?

Im happy with his recruitment so far but I agree we are basically treading water transfer wise at the moment in that anything coming in is replacing what we had that was good. Vlaar, Delph, Cleverley, Benteke for Richards, Veretout, Gueye and Gestede. Crespo and Bunn are really neither here nor there.

Ayew needs to be better than Weimann which wont be hard and Amavi looks a much better bet than Cissokho.

Other than having a better left back and potentially a better striker playing on the wing we haven't really improved the squad much.

YET

I don't mind pundits writing us off. I'm happy with being the dark horses this season. Everyone always brings their A game against the big boys. Teams will turn up expecting an easy win against predicted 17th. BRING IT ON I SAY! We escaped relegation with the worst scoring record in our history? I can't see that happening this year.

Presumably because you're not happy with those we have signed?

Yes I am. We're just not any stronger than we were last season.

Apart from no Paul Lambert.

This cannot be underestimated in my opinion. 12 league goals through February. I mean **** hell.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

Anybody who thinks we're weaker offensively want to bet we'll score fewer goals this year than last year? I would give you good odds that we'll score more this year.

yeah without a doubt we will score more, and the games will be more enjoyable.

Presumably because you're not happy with those we have signed?

Yes I am. We're just not any stronger than we were last season.

Apart from no Paul Lambert.

This cannot be underestimated in my opinion. 12 league goals through February. I mean **** hell.

good grief was it really that bad! I'd forgotten how cack we were last season

Anybody who thinks we're weaker offensively want to bet we'll score fewer goals this year than last year? I would give you good odds that we'll score more this year.

yeah without a doubt we will score more, and the games will be more enjoyable.
Without a doubt, but there are a few on here saying we're worse offensively this year than last year. I get the basic reasoning: Benteke is gone. But that is a myopic view of the situation, and if they're so certain let's see them bet we'll score less. Edited by tyklip

There's no way we are infinitely weaker than our worst goal scoring season in the entire 100+ years of the football club. That is complete nonsense.

There's no way you can argue a point with the '100+' years line.

We were shite last season and relied massively on Benteke for goals. We have lost Benteke and the only direct replacement I can see is Gestede. This for me isn't great business and makes us massively weak up front.

We are still a poor side, highlighted in our poor pre-season performances.

As soon as Sherwood came in our goal scoring improved just because the way we approached games. I think you've forgot how bad Lambert was. We've lost benteke but added Ayew and Gestede and look to be adding another striker. I'm very confident that those 3 will score more than benteke did last season. We've also got Sinclair and Gil for the whole season, Grealish improving and I'm confident Veretout and Gueye will chip in with more than delph and cleverly did. Amavi has the potential to chip in with a couple and I can see Richards getting 4/5 goals.

Your attitude is like a neutral who has just seen benteke leave and looked at no other factors. You've ignored an awful lot to think we're so much weaker than our worst season in our entire history.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

To reiterate something I said earlier, most people seem to be forgetting just how bad we were up until March last year.

Also, Grealish and Gil area going to be huge I think. Both very skilful, intelligent footballers. Players we didn't have for that period.

Back on topic, Adebayor and a proper winger would make an even bigger difference. We are *so close*...

There's no way we are infinitely weaker than our worst goal scoring season in the entire 100+ years of the football club. That is complete nonsense.
There's no way you can argue a point with the '100+' years line.

We were shite last season and relied massively on Benteke for goals. We have lost Benteke and the only direct replacement I can see is Gestede. This for me isn't great business and makes us massively weak up front.

We are still a poor side, highlighted in our poor pre-season performances.

As soon as Sherwood came in our goal scoring improved just because the way we approached games. I think you've forgot how bad Lambert was. We've lost benteke but added Ayew and Gestede and look to be adding another striker. I'm very confident that those 3 will score more than benteke did last season. We've also got Sinclair and Gil for the whole season, Grealish improving and I'm confident Veretout and Gueye will chip in with more than delph and cleverly did. Amavi has the potential to chip in with a couple and I can see Richards getting 4/5 goals.

Your attitude is like a neutral who has just seen benteke leave and looked at no other factors. You've ignored an awful lot to think we're so much weaker than our worst season in our entire history.

We've scored a lot more with a lot worse strikers. As pointed out its the way you set up to attack.

Benteke gone sure.. 

Replaced by Ayew, Gestede, Gil, Sinclair, Veretout, Gueye and Amavi players that have proven they all have goals in their game in previous teams.. I mean a front three of Ayew, Gestede and Sinclair is already vastly better than one Benteke and a midfield that once in a blue moon links up with him. Yes on paper Gestede isn't a like for like replacement for Benteke, but look at the squad on the whole and you see several players that can contribute the 40-60 goals we need in a season, it doesn't have to always fall on just one main man every season. 

To reiterate something I said earlier, most people seem to be forgetting just how bad we were up until March last year.

Also, Grealish and Gil area going to be huge I think. Both very skilful, intelligent footballers. Players we didn't have for that period.

Back on topic, Adebayor and a proper winger would make an even bigger difference. We are *so close*...

Agreed. Add a centre back and another midfielder on there and we start looking competitive.

We'd still need to add another RB, LB, CB and Striker after that before we'd have a really strong squad with depth I'd believe in because however happy we are we're still only an injury away from Richardson or Bennett at LB....

I think we are in a good position at the minute. Alongside this summers new signings we have the bonus of Gil and Sinclair having a pre season at the club. We still need a few players but our attacking options are a lot better than last year. We may have lost Benteke but I think we have enough players with creativity to cover that. We were over reliant on him and that isn't healthy we are a far more balanced team and squad now. I'd still like a RB and a winger by the end of the window though.

Benteke was either injured, unfit or CBA up until Sherwood's arrival. I really don't think we will miss him that much tbh.

We certainly wont be in the same position points, goals and league position as we were in Feb so won't have to rely on someone to bag some goals to keep us up.

we look like a team that we score goals from all positions next season.