Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Anybody else still expecting to wake up to a world where our manager is Paul Lambert and we're still buying average, mid-table players from League One and the Eredivisie?

I still can't fathom the amount of savvy we've seen this transfer window so far. I didn't start watching the Villa until the post-MON days so this could very well be the most exciting squad I've seen so far. Imagine if we actually get Traore in...

I don't really blame Lambert for his signings. Resources were clearly more limited back then than they are now and on the whole he spent the money reasonably well in most cases. The problem with Lambert was actually managing the team and getting results.

• Like 2

Anybody else still expecting to wake up to a world where our manager is Paul Lambert and we're still buying average, mid-table players from League One and the Eredivisie?

I still can't fathom the amount of savvy we've seen this transfer window so far. I didn't start watching the Villa until the post-MON days so this could very well be the most exciting squad I've seen so far. Imagine if we actually get Traore in...

I don't really blame Lambert for his signings. Resources were clearly more limited back then than they are now and on the whole he spent the money reasonably well in most cases. The problem with Lambert was actually managing the team and getting results.

i would go as far as to say that Lambert's signings were probably his biggest asset. Considering his budget I thought he purchased relatively well. Vlaar, Westwood, Benteke, Okore, Bacuna. Kozac and Gill could still both make an impression as well. Obviously a lot of flops as well, but all considered not to bad. Obviously I prefer the signings we have made this window, but we have splashed a lot more cash.
  • Like 1

I recognize that Lambert was constrained by a very tight budget. But IMO he bought too much dross with the money he did have. The likes of Tonev, Luna, Bennett, Bowery, etc. could've been consolidated into one or two genuine quality purchases. Lambert unearthed a gem in Benteke, but his other semi-expensive purchase (not counting Kozak because PL can't be blamed for an injury and he was looking a decent goalscorer before it) was Sanchez who absolutely stunk up the joint. Granted, he did have a fantastic WC but it seems he was a bog-standard anchor in a relegation-tier La Liga squad before that... his performance here certainly suggests as much.

^

The problem was not low transfer budget but also wage restrictions as well.

Also, I think Sanchez will come good.

i would go as far as to say that Lambert's signings were probably his biggest asset. Considering his budget I thought he purchased relatively well. Vlaar, Westwood, Benteke, Okore, Bacuna. Kozac and Gill could still both make an impression as well. Obviously a lot of flops as well, but all considered not to bad. Obviously I prefer the signings we have made this window, but we have splashed a lot more cash.

I agree but..

WHO THE **** IS KOZAC AND GILL!? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

:P

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 3

stokes ex barca players, bojan (24) muniesa (23) affelay (29) i dont think any of them have actually ever been a team mate of him, the spanish speaking element might help him (they've got joselu too) but its not necessarily that much of an advantage, the report last night said he was coming over to meet the teams, see the facilities and then barca would open negotiations with the team that he preferred

so thats him being lead down past our new pitch side trophy cabinet then...

Don't forget this guy...

article-1127036-066172F60000044D-781_306

Kind of my point, the notion that Stoke might have an advantage over us because of the barca links, Hughes played for barca about 5 years before the kid was born

I don't think it necessarily means anything

I think we need a breather now, all these signings can't remember so much going on all at once before.

Perhaps get rid of the ones we dont want, see how much space is left in the 25 man squad, then take it from there.

I think we are 9 out and 7 in so space for more. Guzman, Baker, King Kozak, N'Zog, Tonev, Cissokho, Hutton, Richardson and maybe Senderos all could go so plenty of scope yet.

We would have to pay someone to take Tonev off us. Guzan,Hutton and Baker are definently going to stay. Personally I would be happy to keep Richardson, Nzogbia and Kozak as back up.

Really need a CB to come in. Hopefully there are plans for 1 before the window shuts.

I'm pleased to see that we appear to be in for a winger with the links to Adama and Thauvin so far this window. Fingers crossed we can bring in a quality creative wide player as well.

Only other question marks are around the Mason Holgate link and whether Sherwood will look to replace Guzan.

Going to be an exciting few weeks (hopefully).

One thing that has been lacking in the last few weeks (as far as I've seen) is the number of videos of the new signings doing their initiation karaoke. Richards & Bunn, fair enough.

As we've got the right numbers and to save time, I suggest Sinclair, Gueye, Amavi, Gestede, Ayew, Veretout & Crespo to perform "Reach" by S Club 7.

The subsequent recording to be played as the team walks onto the pitch.

• Like 1

Only other question marks are around the Mason Holgate link and whether Sherwood will look to replace Guzan.

I recall reading somewhere that Rio said that Michael Keane was a certain future England CB.

I wonder if we might be looking his way?

No doubt but the media doesn't seem to have caught wind of the links just yet.

They are generally speaking pretty bad at picking up on most of our targets though until something leaks out in foreign press and that is usually when things are close.

We were linked with Lescott last week though.

They are generally speaking pretty bad at picking up on most of our targets though until something leaks out in the FRENCH press and that is usually when things are close.

We were linked with Lescott last week though.

Corrected.

Edited by dounavilla

Media have made no loud noises of any of our signings. You just know if the 4 or even Liverplop signed the likes of Gestede, they would be having a wank fest and reporting on him almost every day that he is the next world class striker.

• Like 1