Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

If we even try and buy adama traore and balanta then I'm convinced sherwood plays football manager, we're a savitskiy link away from me having a meltdown

Still waiting on Freddy Adu.

Going OT - adu is my least favourite "crazy" football manager wonderkid, the lad was genuinely hyped everywhere, I can remember the rags linking him to Utd and him signing with Nike at 15 and all kinds of daft stuff and then he just ended up being shit, I think a lot of it was the yanks desperate to get a youngster at one of the big European teams in order to boost interest in the MLS

He's no Cherno Samba

Why did someone go and mention Balanta? However much I've tried to reason with myself I've gone and got my hopes up now! Frantically trying to convince myself we can fend off the best Serie A, Ligue 1, La Liga and England have to offer. I hope he's like really good mates with Carlos.

I personally feel our business this pre season has been average and I don't think we have improved a whole lot as a team.

We are stronger in potentially two positions: Amavi > Cissokho / Veretout > Cleverley

We are infinitely weaker in terms of goals: Benteke > Gestede.

We need at least 2 new first team players to come in before I get excited about our prospects this season. Ideally we need 3...ST, CB, RW.

Without actually seeing the team perform after they've had a chance to gel/ learn to play together, I think we are actually stronger than last year, potentially.

Player for player we might not be, but the plan hasn't been to replace a £32.5m striker with a £32.5m striker. When you look at it, in the context of our whole team, it looks much better.

Potentially, the below could become true:

Gestede & Ayew > Gabby and Benteke

Veretout, Gueye & Westwood > Delph, Westwood & Cleverley

+

Amavi > Richardson/ Cissokho

• Like 3

About £40m

So what's our net this summer then? Money going in and coming out etc.
Oh I see...

No idea. I guess we're about even.

I'll work it out tomorrow when I have time at work.... but remember from the Benteke sale we lose 15% to Genk and 10% in 'loyalty' bonus.

The loyalty bonus is paid to everyone we sell unless they hand in a formal transfer request.

I personally feel our business this pre season has been average and I don't think we have improved a whole lot as a team.

We are stronger in potentially two positions: Amavi > Cissokho / Veretout > Cleverley

We are infinitely weaker in terms of goals: Benteke > Gestede.

We need at least 2 new first team players to come in before I get excited about our prospects this season. Ideally we need 3...ST, CB, RW.

Without actually seeing the team perform after they've had a chance to gel/ learn to play together, I think we are actually stronger than last year, potentially.

Player for player we might not be, but the plan hasn't been to replace a £32.5m striker with a £32.5m striker. When you look at it, in the context of our whole team, it looks much better.

Potentially, the below could become true:

Gestede & Ayew > Gabby and Benteke

Veretout, Gueye & Westwood > Delph, Westwood & Cleverley

+

Amavi > Richardson/ Cissokho

This

Its shrewd. Its moneyballing.

I personally agree with sherwood that we have a more balance squad already. I agree with both/all of you that man for man, Benteke aside, we look like we've done ok. but we really haven't strengthened in depth yet. And I think that's all Snakeinho is trying to say. Both those points seem to highlight the same things to me, that it would be unfair to expect Gestede to step into Benteke's shoes, that we have got a better left back and that we think Ayew has the potential to be better than Weimann in terms of strengthening the squad.

Adebayor seems to be having second thoughts according to the Daily Mail.

That's fine. Would only want him here if he really wanted to be here. Don't want money to be the only motivating factor for him. 

Anybody who thinks we're weaker offensively want to bet we'll score fewer goals this year than last year? I would give you good odds that we'll score more this year.

Well yeah we had over half a season of Lamberts ultra defensive poopball.

Anybody who thinks we're weaker offensively want to bet we'll score fewer goals this year than last year? I would give you good odds that we'll score more this year.

Well yeah we had over half a season of Lamberts ultra defensive poopball.

If we don't we are going down as the only reason we stayed up last season was largely down to our ok defence, which went for a burton once Sherwood came in.  At least Sherwood made us watchable again and we started scoring some goals but the defence is a worry as the 6-1 at Southampton highlighted, and we have sold our best striker.

I think we will struggle for results until Christmas but will pull through it and finish strongly, injuries permitting. Could do with 5 more decent back ups though. Adebayor would have helped, so maybe we go for Charlie Austin to calm the nerves. Gabby is a waste of a squad number.

Any news yet on a new CB?

Come back August 31st.

I think Tim will use the first four games as a barometer. If Richards and Clark looks a car crash we'll sign one on deadline day. If not I think we'll go through to January with what we have.