Scott Sinclair

The_Rev

If we get him, I hope we're asking City to pay some wages. They're the ones who splash the cash when they're buying players, so they should be able to stump up some wages when they're trying to offload their overpaid tat.

(Luckiky for them, we seem to want their tat :( )

Our issue previously with buying players from City is we end up hanging around whilst they agree a pay off of what they owe to the player for the remainder of the contract.Then in case of Given for example we give a lower wage but a longer contract.

Sinclair to me is potential nothing more and has alot to prove so we should be very careful what wages we give him

Aston Villa: Scott Sinclair deal could be back on  

A permanent deal for the Manchester City winger appeared to be dead but Aston Villa are thought to have made a breakthrough today

Action Images / Craig Brough ScottSinclair.jpg
Scott Sinclair in action for Manchester City

Aston Villa’s pursuit of Scott Sinclair is back on.

A permanent deal for the Manchester City winger appeared to be dead but the claret and blues are thought to have made a breakthrough today.

Villa were initially struggling to meet City’s valuation of the player but the Premier League champions are thought to have lowered their estimation of the wideman which has allowed Villa to pounce.

There is still some way to go before the switch can be wrapped up but if all goes to plan a deal should be completed before the weekend.

Get more new from our Villa Facebook page

Boss Paul Lambert has always remained hopeful of landing the ex-Swansea City ace despite all-but conceding defeat last weekend.

He rates him highly and believes he can help his goal-shy side as they look to build on their win over Bournemouth at the weekend.

As Villa want to sign him on a permanent basis it’s likely they will still have one domestic loan available ahead of Monday’s transfer deadline which could be used to add further reinforcements.

• Like 1

How many years does he have on his £55k contract?

I don't care how much we haggle down the fee, if he is on anything over £25k (which I can't see him dropping) it's poor business.

Average English players on high wages is not the answer.

Average is being kind too.

I don't care how much we haggle down the fee, if he is on anything over £25k (which I can't see him dropping) it's poor business.

You're not going to get much for £25k these days.

I agree £55k is steep, and we should be looking to pay less than that.

But if we're offering players £25k per week then we'll struggle.

His high risk will be reflected in how much we pay City. City want us to pay more than we want to pay them. Any transfer fee will include us paying off the rest of his contract at 55k/week, as we're not going to be matching that. Of course SS might waive some of that cash so he can get his dream move to Aston Villa, but more than likely he won't. So that's what we'll be hammering out with City. We may have agreed a fee with City, but they're sticking on the, we're not paying the difference between the wages we pay him, and the wages you'll pay him, until the end of his contract.

Of course if SS doesn't waive the cash he's owed by City he could end up at City until the end of his contract, but he'll have burned a lot of bridges and will have a reputation for being more interested in cash than being a footballer, which won't bode well when he goes to negotiate a contract with a new club, added to the fact that he won't have played football in a while. All parties know this so that will factor into the negotiations as well. It was a stalemate, but maybe it looks like now things are moving again. Or else his agent decided to get things moving again by releasing some woolly exclusive. Just to put his client's name back in the papers.

Either way we'll end up paying close to what SS is worth both based on the risk we'll be taking on him, and how much City want to let him leave, how much we need him, how keen he is to get back playing football regularly and probably a myriad of other factors. I'd be surprised if under Lambert we ended up taking a bath on him. We were not willing to pay Wes Hoolihan more than we thought he was worth, and it'll be the same here. Lambert seems to have a good eye for when a deal represents value, and when it doesn't.

You're not going to get much for £25k these days.

I agree £55k is steep, and we should be looking to pay less than that.

But if we're offering players £25k per week then we'll struggle.

I reckon Gil is on less than 25k easily. 

Â