Scott Sinclair

The_Rev

I like that he is a direct runner and good with the ball at his feet. For all the speed Gabby has its very much in straight lines and can be uncontrolled. I seem to remember him being very willing for 1-2s around the box. Don't know why I think that but someone willing to break the line and try as opposed to go back to midfield is something we have been missing. Time will tell I suppose but more wing threat is definately a plus considering our recent failings.

Was thinking this too. Whatever about his current form Benteke is an excellent pivot to bounce 1-2's off. His one touch lay off's are consistently good even now that his form isn't great. It used to work great with Andi, less so now. Be great if Sinclair's style complimented that side of Tekkers game.

My issue is "what successful loan have we ever turned in to a permanent signing?"

It's all well and good having an option to sign permanently but he's not forced to do it and teams with more money will come in if he rediscovers any form. I know the upside of that is we get 6 months of a talented player but long term loss in that we've done all the hard work reinvigorating a player who will be great for the opposition all next season and beyond. I hate loans.

Cleverley - miss

Bertrand - success (left)

Holt - miss

Dawkins - miss

Jenas - miss

Keane - success (left)

Walker - success (left)

Bradley - miss

So never thrilled by a loan! Who was our first ever loan signing as it, not definitively, seems to be tied to success - no loans when we were doing well.

More Good news, what's happening at Villa? Great to hear that it's a loan so we can opt out if he turns out to be a steaming pile of Tom Cleverly. Option to sign for £2m in the summer is good as that's very cheap in today's market. Haven't seen much of him but he is surely better than gabby and weimann and definitely miles better than N'Zogbia. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

My issue is "what successful loan have we ever turned in to a permanent signing?"

It's all well and good having an option to sign permanently but he's not forced to do it and teams with more money will come in if he rediscovers any form. I know the upside of that is we get 6 months of a talented player but long term loss in that we've done all the hard work reinvigorating a player who will be great for the opposition all next season and beyond. I hate loans.

Cleverley - miss

Holt - miss

Dawkins - miss

Jenas - miss

Keane - success (left)

Walker - success (left)

Bradley - miss

So never thrilled by a loan! Who was our first ever loan signing as it, not definitively, seems to be tied to success - no loans when we were doing well.

Curtis Davies was a loan originally wasn't he?  Although he wasn't ever really a success.

Good point, although I guess people will try to find an anomaly to prove you wrong for talking in absolutes but hey ho, kinda what VT is all about :P

The main problem with successful loans is it alerts everyone else to the players ability - Bertrand a fairly good example I suppose, and if they do well "better" options will be available.

Proviso with Sinclair is that he's coming out of an unsuccessful move. If the guy comes and does well we'll love him and he might feel he's found a home. If he's as bad as a few on here seem to think we can say no thanks, but If he comes, does well, gets loads of offers from "bigger" clubs he might just be a little more reluctant to sign after his spell with Citeh. Here's hoping.

Personally I think we might be nicely surprised with Sinclair and as Pieface says hes a winger and we all know we need a winger

Anyone know the current status of this potential loan deal? Aside from the Manchester paper link I cant find anything concrete anywhere else confirming a medical etc. The Manchester paper says he's passed a medical and its due to be wrapped up today. Can anyone throw any light on it?

Definitely got ability that has never been in doubt.

I think he is a big confidence player and his motivation for the game stems from that. Very much remains to be seen whether he can gain that confidence and motivation at Villa but a loan is the right way to answer that question in my view.

For those moaning about losing him if he turns out good, I'd imagine he'd be fairly inclined to sick with us bearing in mind the problems he's had finding the right club for him to be successful.

An interesting punt with nothing to lose.

Anyone know the current status of this potential loan deal? Aside from the Manchester paper link I cant find anything concrete anywhere else confirming a medical etc. The Manchester paper says he's passed a medical and its due to be wrapped up today. Can anyone throw any light on it?

Sky Sports confirmed the medical, so I think it's definitely going to happen.

• Like 1

Sky Sports confirmed the medical, so I think it's definitely going to happen.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9685955/premier-league-aston-villa-close-to-signing-manchester-citys-scott-sinclair-on-loan-deal

same being reported by Sky Sports @ 11am - that he's passed a medical ahead of agreeing personal terms......

SNAP!

Edited by VILLAMARV

Cleverley - miss

Holt - miss

Dawkins - miss

Jenas - miss

Keane - success (left)

Walker - success (left)

Bradley - miss

Good points. But I think a loan is perfect for a number of reasons:

- He will be far more motivated if he knows his future is in the balance.

- If he does well it's quite possible that we'll be able to keep him (either because of the terms of the deal or because he'll want to stay).

- If he doesn't do well we've lost nothing.

- If he does well and we can't keep him, we've still saved some money, and we seem to be good at picking up good players lately so I think he could be replaced well.

• Like 1

Cleverley - miss

Holt - miss

Dawkins - miss

Jenas - miss

Keane - success (left)

Walker - success (left)

Bradley - miss

why I don't feel so bad about loans is that 5 out of 8 were misses....wasting 7.5m on Cleverley would haunt me and spending money on the others I wouldn't have been happy with at the time. Keane was always a quick, short term thing. So remains Bertrand and Walker...Bertrand was ok but I wasn't that bothered, it's only because our other left backs have been so poor, but was disappointed with losing Walker.

The point being IMO we got two players that we needed to fill a gap, wished it was long term but neither the player or owning club wanted it that way, we probably couldn't afford it anyway and given we had been poor with cheaper permanent signing it was wise to have these season long arrangements. The other loan deals we were either lucky not to purchase and Keane was a nice short term life injection we needed at the time.

The only one who I'd like to have stayed was Walker. Bertrand was disappointing for me and would have cost a lot more than Cissokho. This Sinclair deal suits everyone really, it's down to him to perform and show us he is worth being one of our highest earners in the long term.

Â