Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Why Jake/Logan Paul are famous? They have a YouTube channel which somehow has ridiculous amounts of followers and has somehow meant they're all over my newsfeed. I barely care about professional boxing matches let alone exhibition ones featuring YouTubers and obviously staged nonsense with stealing people's baseball caps. Even if he stole his wallet it wouldn't be newsworthy. They just seem like absolute prats, just sod off.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Why Jake/Logan Paul are famous? They have a YouTube channel which somehow has ridiculous amounts of followers and has somehow meant they're all over my newsfeed. I barely care about professional boxing matches let alone exhibition ones featuring YouTubers and obviously staged nonsense with stealing people's baseball caps. Even if he stole his wallet it wouldn't be newsworthy. They just seem like absolute prats, just sod off.

im not actually sure what they did / do on their youtube channels to become famous in the first place

youtube seems like such a brilliant platform which i am spending an increasing amount of time on and yet i never even stumble across these mega millionaire youtubers, which sounds like a good thing

recently started watching a guy called penguinz0, 8.25m subscribers, he has a video from last month that has 3.6m views, he talks over Polish slapping competitions...madness

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

im not actually sure what they did / do on their youtube channels to become famous in the first place

youtube seems like such a brilliant platform which i am spending an increasing amount of time on and yet i never even stumble across these mega millionaire youtubers, which sounds like a good thing

recently started watching a guy called penguinz0, 8.25m subscribers, he has a video from last month that has 3.6m views, he talks over Polish slapping competitions...madness

They just seem to be pervading everything. People were debating the ESL on the radio a few weeks back and they were brought up as someone was saying the only 'sporting' (word used loosely) event her 12 year old and his friends had ever watched was one of their recent fights. Were people in their 30s as confused by teenagers and pop culture 20/30 years ago? 

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

They just seem to be pervading everything. People were debating the ESL on the radio a few weeks back and they were brought up as someone was saying the only 'sporting' (word used loosely) event her 12 year old and his friends had ever watched was one of their recent fights. Were people in their 30s as confused by teenagers and pop culture 20/30 years ago? 

Probably. They certainly were fifty years ago. 

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

People who use txtspk and other abbreviations now that everyone has predictive text and corrections.

Lol

• Haha 3

Have you ever thought "I'd love to go to a conference set up for an instant messaging and collaboration solution, but I just need a little extra motivation"? Well, delay no further

https://slackfrontierseurope.splashthat.com/email-venus

12:00 p.m. BST

Closing keynote with Venus Williams

Chris Mills, Senior Director of Customer Success at Slack, sits down with the legendary tennis player and business leader. Get inspiration for the future of work as Williams discusses her commitment to purpose-driven work, along with the importance of supporting teamwork and building a strong, inclusive culture.

Remember kids, you can't win 7 Grand Slams without a robust and intuitive communications platform.

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

They've got 9-ball pool on Sky at the moment.  I don't get why more snooker players don't play in it because they surely would find it a piece of piss compared to snooker.

Far better game than 8 ball

Steve Davis used to play 9 Ball with some success

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is that what they play in the Hustler

23 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Is that what they play in the Hustler

I haven't seen it in decades, the set up in 9 Ball is a diamond with the yellow 1 ball at the top and the yellow stripe 9 ball in the middle and the ball you have to hit first is the lowest numbered ball on the table but you don't have to pot them in order. You retain possession of the table as long as you pot a ball. potting the nine ball wins the game at any point (as long as its not a foul)

EDIT: No, just checked they play 8 ball

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

They've got 9-ball pool on Sky at the moment.  I don't get why more snooker players don't play in it because they surely would find it a piece of piss compared to snooker.

I thought that, but there are sports that are 'easier' than others and professionals aren't as good in them. 

I recently found out that professional Chess players really struggle in the draughts competitions against draughts players.

I wonder, if you put Hamilton in a Nascar competition, would he still be the best driver just because he is very good at Formula 1?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I wonder, if you put Hamilton in a Nascar competition, would he still be the best driver just because he is very good at Formula 1?

depends on if you give him a better car than everyone else  or not :)

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I've seen plenty of snooker players do it, Tony Drago used to clear the table in about 4.32556 seconds and Ronnie did a series where he was pool hustling in America. Maybe the money just isn't worth it to do it for more than the odd exhibition. 

I guess it’s similar with the worlds of darts and javelin.

You’d imagine the javelin crowd would find darts an absolute piss of piss, even without a run up.

• Haha 4

Â