Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

26 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Ha well spotted.  It was my original intention but it was a washout year and we'd elected to drive home on the Sunday night (first clear sign I was getting old).  As such I was stone cold sober and decided to be boring (like Coldplay).  Thought to myself when else will I ever see Coldplay and I had also seen LCD on the Other Stage in 2010. 

I hope you can forgive me.

Wasn’t a spot, I can remember it because most of my friends watched Coldplay too.

The washout actually contributed to making LCD such a joyous celebration of music, friendship, love, and surviving the mud - with a performance to match.

I can forgive you, but can you forgive yourself? 😋

Edited by fightoffyour

These days Oasis also have a lot of casual fans, who likes the songs for what they are, but don't necessarily buy into the whole image thing. It's not just Oasis, I think there's a lot of music that once upon a time there was a stigma attched to liking it but now that stigma has gone, commercial pop music is another example of that. I think it's because music is less tied in with people's identities than it used to be.

Also when something is at the height of it's popularity you're always going to get people who are wary of it because of that very popularity, but what you will often find that has time passes and the thing becomes less popular people will revist and think maybe it wasn't so bad after all.

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think it's because there's been no one like that since, Liam is still hugely popular with the lads lads lads crowd and the rest of that scene - courteeners, gerry cinnamon, pretty much anyone apart from the DMAs who are great - is utter garbage 

If you're a 21 year old kid now in to your music football raincoats beer and like a sniff you can almost guarantee that they'll be a massive oasis fan, they've never been surpassed, they were the band of my generation but the following generation has no one so they've stuck around 

It's because no band now is "normal" everything now is about bright fluorescent colours, be happy and fakeness. 

As you mentioned, the DMA's are the closest thing, but for whatever reason they're not launching off into stardom yet - some nice songs though from what I've heard.

Oasis were just a normal bunch of blokes, a bit of mischief, decent songs which were more positive in outlook than the "everything is shit" scene coming across the pond - they were relatable.  I don't think there's been anyone since that have picked up that mantle - Pete Doherty was just a druggie loser in my eyes, not someone to relate to.

The whole labour supporter thing just made them even more working class and made the people who bought their records love them more. 

• Like 2

I liked the libs but not as much as my mates

Said earlier they were like a punk band in comparison to the end of brit pop, oasis and phonics had gone to shit, manics weren't in the same league, it was heading towards bloated 5 minute long songs leaning towards the middle of the road, I was 18 and libs came out and it was a breath of fresh air, the tempo went up, in came the years of indie disco and they were incredible, I can understand why the libs were considered revolutionary with what they were doing, the Internet stuff and gorilla gigs was nuts, saw Pete play a pub with about 200 people, off his tits came on stage at 1am

Bloc party was the one for me though, Silent Alarm blew me away 

I was the perfect age for it, 90s got me in to guitar music 00s was nightclubs playing up tempo guitar music

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Elton John is more popular than ever.

Edit: basically I think these days people are more likely to like music for the music itself rather than the image surrounding a band.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

The appreciation of bands years later by new fans happens from time to time. I remember it happened with the smiths in the early 00’s and a few years later Joy Division received a similar renewed enthusiasm.

I don’t know if that’s happening or has happened with Oasis. I wasn’t around for the smiths or joy division, but regardless of whatever I think of them musically, I’d say that both bands had/have a “cooler” image and feel about them than Oasis do so I could see why they’d be adopted by later generations. Probably due to them ending early on, there’s more of a mystique about them.

If there is a significant number of “new” Oasis fans, born after 2000, say, I’d be curious to know if any of them hold their later albums up with their older stuff. For all musicians and bands, I think it’s one thing to “live” through each album release (and endure the subsequent delight/disappointment) and another mindset to discover it all after the fact.

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The appreciation of bands years later by new fans happens from time to time. I remember it happened with the smiths in the early 00’s and a few years later Joy Division received a similar renewed enthusiasm.

I don’t know if that’s happening or has happened with Oasis. I wasn’t around for the smiths or joy division, but regardless of whatever I think of them musically, I’d say that both bands had/have a “cooler” image and feel about them than Oasis do so I could see why they’d be adopted by later generations. Probably due to them ending early on, there’s more of a mystique about them.

If there is a significant number of “new” Oasis fans, born after 2000, say, I’d be curious to know if any of them hold their later albums up with their older stuff. For all musicians and bands, I think it’s one thing to “live” through each album release (and endure the subsequent delight/disappointment) and another mindset to discover it all after the fact.

I think from most of the reddit stuff and twitter stuff I see, young people are almost universally lovers of Defo Maybe and What's the Story Morning Glory? 

Don't hear or see much about Be Here Now, Shoulders of Giants, Don't Believe the Truth or Dig out your soul to be honest.

There are tunes on all of their albums I genuinely love, but to sit through them all is a bit of a slog these days for sure.

I'm quite enjoying the output of the pair of them separately as well, at least you're getting twice the quantity of stuff than you would if it was an album after every 2 year world tour or whatever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t get how my girlfriends brother in law can go to hospital in the morning with severe pains in his groin, be sent off home with some co-codamol and then end up back there in intensive care hours later having collapsed and stopped breathing at home. 

He’s now unresponsive and unable to breathe without aid.

I’ve never sat comfortably with people who go after compensation from the NHS but they really don’t help themselves sometimes, similar thing happened to my mates Dad a couple of years back, had crippling back pain but they kept fobbing him off before he collapsed and only then did they realise he had an infection on his spine, he died a few days later.

Similar story, A girl I work with had recurring problems with her periods for years. Really heavy, painful, and almost constant. Not just 4 or 5 days a week, more like 25 days a month. It was basically ruining her life and didn’t take a genius to work out something was definitely wrong. 

Anyway the doctor and NHS kept fobbing her off. Went on for years. Eventually one doctor said the only solution was to give her drugs to put her into early menopause and if that didn’t work to give her a hysterectomy. Didn’t give her scans or anything, just decided that was what it was  

Eventually she went private, and the doctor on her first appointment said she had fibroids that needed to be removed. 2 weeks later she’d gone under the knife, had them removed and has been fine ever since. 

Obviously the NHS is amazing. We are very lucky to have it. But horror stories do happen. To think they were effectively going to remove the ability for this girl to have children for something that was relatively easy to fix baffles me

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, useless said:

At one time a lot of people turned their noses up at Oasis, now it's seen as okay to like them, even cool and trendy.

File under ABBA. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Which planet is this again?

My kids are 18 and 16. Pretty much most people that age think Oasis are great. 

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Similar story, A girl I work with had recurring problems with her periods for years. Really heavy, painful, and almost constant. Not just 4 or 5 days a week, more like 25 days a month. It was basically ruining her life and didn’t take a genius to work out something was definitely wrong. 

Anyway the doctor and NHS kept fobbing her off. Went on for years. Eventually one doctor said the only solution was to give her drugs to put her into early menopause and if that didn’t work to give her a hysterectomy. Didn’t give her scans or anything, just decided that was what it was  

Eventually she went private, and the doctor on her first appointment said she had fibroids that needed to be removed. 2 weeks later she’d gone under the knife, had them removed and has been fine ever since. 

Obviously the NHS is amazing. We are very lucky to have it. But horror stories do happen. To think they were effectively going to remove the ability for this girl to have children for something that was relatively easy to fix baffles me

Was this "girl" you by any chance? 

(that's a truly horrendous story, hope she's well now!)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

File under ABBA. 

File under loads of bands. It's always the next 'half generation' that backlashes against the big successful acts (see @bickster and The Beatles - or me and Elvis Presley). Once sufficient time has passed, people are able to assess those acts on their own terms without predjudice. They may like them, they may hate them - but either way it's not because of some long-forgotten cultural association. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

File under loads of bands. It's always the next 'half generation' that backlashes against the big successful acts (see @bickster and The Beatles - or me and Elvis Presley). Once sufficient time has passed, people are able to assess those acts on their own terms without predjudice. They may like them, they may hate them - but either way it's not because of some long-forgotten cultural association. 

Bee gees for me currently, watched the hbo documentary and loved it, going through their early stuff, flirting with the disco stuff and one or two songs from the 80s

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Bee gees for me currently, watched the hbo documentary and loved it, going through their early stuff, flirting with the disco stuff and one or two songs from the 80s

Reminds me I need to get a copy of "Odessa" with the velour sleeve. Still.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Reminds me I need to get a copy of "Odessa" with the velour sleeve. Still.

Same with a lot of the older bands I'm not getting involved with the vinyl, would like them in the collection but I kind of know I'll never get the full set and even if I tried I'd end up on ebay or back to black or for completion reasons I'll end up chasing one of the inevitable really shit albums 

Lesson learned from fleetwood mac, bowie and Elton John

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Was this "girl" you by any chance? 

(that's a truly horrendous story, hope she's well now!)

Haha it was not.

But yeah she's well now. Crazy story. If she'd gone once and they thought it was one thing it wouldn't be so bad. But honestly she went so many times. Different doctors, different hospitals etc. All they needed to do was give her a scan and they'd have sorted it. I understand you can't just hand out scans to everyone as it costs money, but how much time and money did they waste giving her drugs and sending her home and bringing her back every couple of months

Â