Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Do you always post things that are demonstrably not true?

Hell only this last week the VT Music Snobs were discussing REM favourably. Most of them love The B**tles, quite a few of us really like Pink FLoyd and Led Zeppelin. I even don't doubt that some of us secretly like early Elton John material. At least one of the common VT Music posters really likes Taylor Swift. We've had a number of favourable discussions about The Rolling Stones, one of those in the last couple of weeks.

I really don't think I've ever seen one of us say a band as obscure as you seem to be painting is the best band in the world ever. But just because you haven't heard of an artist, doesn't mean they are rubbish either.

Now I might seem to be taking this rather too seriously but thats because most of us do take music seriously because it's a constant in our lives. This clearly isn't the case for you but do us a favour and stop making shit that never happens up.

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You just like them because they fit in with your royalty fetish.

ย 

I'm actually not a huge queen fan but I did used to like King๐Ÿ˜ณ

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I havenโ€™t heard of King (genuinely), you must be a music snob.

I quite like Prince.

I was only joking, they were pretty much a one hit wonder. You must surely know Paul King from the band though, he was an early MTV presenter, probably more famous for that than his actual music career.ย 

How about Princess?ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

I even don't doubt that some of us secretly like early Elton John material.

Just to prove your point further, this is definitely me. His first few albums are terrific.

The old 'yeah, you only like obscure stuff and hate all mainstream music' argument that some people bring up on VT from time to time is pretty tiresome to be honest. It's also been disproved over and over.

• Like 2

Letโ€™s test it out.

I actually like Queen. Bohemian Rhapsody is a great song, as is Radio Ga Ga, Break Free and Killer Queen.ย 
ย 

I even watched the Bohemian Rhapsody film the other month and thoroughly enjoyed it.ย 
ย 

I think my enjoyment comes from hearing my parents playing it when I was little. I remember being allowed to stay up to watch Live Aid, and loved it as a nipper.ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

some band from Hull called Petersons Yellow Van Tyres are probably the finest band to have ever existed.

Hmm, I didnโ€™t realise other people had heard of them.

*throws awayย P.Y.V.Tย badges*

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Letโ€™s test it out.

I actually like Queen. Bohemian Rhapsody is a great song, as is Radio Ga Ga, Break Free and Killer Queen.ย 
ย 

I even watched the Bohemian Rhapsody film the other month and thoroughly enjoyed it.ย 
ย 

I think my enjoyment comes from hearing my parents playing it when I was little. I remember being allowed to stay up to watch Live Aid, and loved it as a nipper.ย 

Like anyone is going to bite on that now.ย 

Kasabian are ace though. I love that Stadium Rock me.ย 

Just now, It's Your Round said:

Have you heard of Coldplay? Theyโ€™re one heck of a cool new band.ย 

Stop it.ย  There is a line and you just crossed it.ย 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I was only joking, they were pretty much a one hit wonder. You must surely know Paul King from the band though, he was an early MTV presenter, probably more famous for that than his actual music career.ย 

ย 

Any sort of MTV link would have passed me by, we never had it as a kid and Iโ€™ve never really been much of a tv watcher.

But having said that, now Iโ€™ve seen his picture I do โ€˜sort ofโ€™ recognise him because there was a programme on about him recently. Probably late at night, probably BBC 4 or C5.ย Either about him, or a segment on him and how he was going to be the next big thing back in the day... and then wasnโ€™t. I have absolutely no recollection of them as a band, but then what Iโ€™ve seen their big โ€˜thingโ€™ was painting their doc martens funny colours and wearing yellow suits. I wouldnโ€™t have been their target audienceย I donโ€™t reckon. I think the programme was sort of him saying he felt hard done by becuase people couldnโ€™t see beyond the Smash Hits persona when really he was all about the music, not just hairspray. I got the impression he was feeling heโ€™dย sold his musoย soul for a top ten hit.

ย 

ย 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Oohhhh.ย  Do you mean Queen?ย  Yes, I've heard of them so they absolutely must be shit.ย ย 

They were good at what they did, and their popularity says they're not shit.

Me, can't stand their music, though - it's like fingers down a blackboard to me - I guess it's some kind of weakness I've got.

But anyway, the "I've heard of this band so they must be deemed rubbish" it's surely as much about most bands that non-music geeks have heard about are ones that have been around for a while and achieved mainstream kind of Osmosis. Often that leads to over-exposure of them or the songs. Few of them are actually truly rubbish - they can't be, because loads of people like them. Maybe it's more that music freaks talking about their latest discoveries or likes is like people talking about particle physics - it means nothing to a lot of people - they haven't got a way in to the conversation (or they think they haven't). But there's loads of reward in reading other people's posts about all the "obscure" stuff and then listening to the youtube of stuff they play or like.

To stay on topic, I don't get people who will only listed to "stuff I (they've) heard of" - I don't get how Smooth FM and Magic FM and all those stations ever get any listeners, tbh. Dullsville on (very weak) steroids.ย ย 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I got the impression he was feeling heโ€™dย sold his musoย soul for a top ten hit.

There's the must soul, hidden away last track on side 2

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

They were good at what they did, and their popularity says they're not shit.

Me, can't stand their music, though - it's like fingers down a blackboard to me - I guess it's some kind of weakness I've got.

But anyway, the "I've heard of this band so they must be deemed rubbish" it's surely as much about most bands that non-music geeks have heard about are ones that have been around for a while and achieved mainstream kind of Osmosis. Often that leads to over-exposure of them or the songs. Few of them are actually truly rubbish - they can't be, because loads of people like them. Maybe it's more that music freaks talking about their latest discoveries or likes is like people talking about particle physics - it means nothing to a lot of people - they haven't got a way in to the conversation (or they think they haven't). But there's loads of reward in reading other people's posts about all the "obscure" stuff and then listening to the youtube of stuff they play or like.

To stay on topic, I don't get people who will only listed to "stuff I (they've) heard of" - I don't get how Smooth FM and Magic FM and all those stations ever get any listeners, tbh. Dullsville on (very weak) steroids.ย ย 

I wasn't slating anyone who is a serious muso and that people shouldn't listen to new music.ย  I love discovering a new band as much as the next man.ย 

It was just a bit of a silly throw away joke that people have taken a bit too seriously.ย 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Just now, sidcow said:

It was just a bit of a silly throw away jokeย 

S'OK. I saw the joke for what it was. I just thought I'd expand, cus some of the other posts made me think..

42 minutes ago, blandy said:

There's the must soul, hidden away last track on side 2

Now if ever a fish deserved being suffocated in gravy. The fish itself is nice (the piano) but as soon as you cover it Paul kings gob (the batter) it needs putting out of it's misery

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

It was just a bit of a silly throw away joke that people have taken a bit too seriously.ย 

You think? :Dย 

The Royal funeral yesterday was less serious than this page.ย 

Plus we all know Oasis are the best and anyone who disagrees is an elitist music snob :trollface:

54 minutes ago, Xela said:

You think? :Dย 

The Royal funeral yesterday was less serious than this page.ย 

Plus we all know Oasis are the best and anyone who disagrees is an elitist music snob :trollface:

Yeah, this whole "discovering a new band" thing is something I think you really need to work on @Xela๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, this whole "discovering a new band" thing is something I think you really need to work on @Xela๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

The last 5 artists played on my Spotify - Pink Floyd, Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Gary Numan and Slade

I'm more likely to 'discover' an older artist, that i've heard of but never actually listened to before. Mainly down to listening to Absolute 70s/80s/90s

ร—
ร—
ร‚