Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

On 23/04/2021 at 12:56, chrisp65 said:

Wednesday...

spacer.png  spacer.png

PIcture Discs? Yep I don't get them either. Who the hell wants a King pic disc? I wouldn't pay a quid for anything by King, I'd pay you even less for a Pic Disc

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not trying to be obtuse - I don't get what men get out of sending unsolicited dick pics. I understand why women find it abusive, I just don't get why they get sent in the first place.

I think there’s a belief that, secretly, women (or at least some) are just constantly after some kind of sexual gratification. 

I also reckon it’s a sort of litmus test. If she reacts positively, you’re in there. If not, well just move on to the next “fortunate” lady in waiting.

Sending these pics pre dates it, but I blame “50 shades” in part for this upfront, brazen attitude.

• Like 1

There was very much an attitude with some of my mates in my younger days that you simply asked every girl you met if she wanted a shag this evening. The theory was, that 1 in 100 did want a shag right now, a knee trembler out behind the bins. What you did by just straight asking was speed up your route to that girl.

I guess the dick pic is simply the modern version of that.

It does make me wonder about people’s mental state. That they have no understanding the harm they could be doing others, or indeed the reputation all damage they can be doing for themselves. This Noel Clarke episode, he’s clearly intelligent and successful. He couldn’t have reasonably thought he would get away with that sort of behaviour, so there’s clearly a compulsion overriding common sense. 

The other reason, I guess, is some men know it’s offensive and can upset some of their victims and so it’s a weird pervy power game. Keeping the women down by reminding them we have the dicks. Which unravels a whole weird onion of power and insecurity.

Clearly it’s a trickier path, just being ‘normal’ than many of us can manage.

• Like 4

Thanks both - it does seem to make sense to consider it a power dynamic. People say that rape is about power rather than about sex, and I guess this is a clear manifestation of that dynamic, the power to force women to react to you on sexual terms, and the dominance you are projecting by sending this stuff to women you think can't or won't object.

Grim.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Thanks both - it does seem to make sense to consider it a power dynamic. People say that rape is about power rather than about sex, and I guess this is a clear manifestation of that dynamic, the power to force women to react to you on sexual terms, and the dominance you are projecting by sending this stuff to women you think can't or won't object.

Grim.

I think that's a large part of it but that it also partly stems from the fact I think that men are very visual and these guys are obsessed with their own dicks and as such cannot understand that a women wouldn't be too. I don't think that even 'solicited' dick pics would be that common as from what I've heard women aren't all that interested in them, whereas men would usually be very interested in the women sending pics. I also wonder if the rise of things like Tinder have had an impact in this. But having been in a relationship for the last 15 odd years all this has passed me by though so what do I know. 

I would think it's less to do with trying to "pull" a woman and just the modern evolution of the flasher? No need for wellies and a long overcoat anymore, just send out on your phone. 

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not trying to be obtuse - I don't get what men get out of sending unsolicited dick pics. I understand why women find it abusive, I just don't get why they get sent in the first place.

PM 

Edited by Follyfoot

Â