Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I wonder, if you put Hamilton in a Nascar competition, would he still be the best driver just because he is very good at Formula 1?

On a similar note, 7-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson has switched to Indycar this season because he wanted a go at open-wheeled single seater racing. So you kinda get a look at your premise from the other way around, even if he is 45 years old. It's still a very interesting story and part of why I have more interest in Indycar this season than I ever have before. The other being that Romain Grosjean of F1 explosion fame is also in Indycar this season, as is 3-time Supercar champion Scott McLaughlin. Those 3 'rookies' make for a fascinating Indycar experiment this season.

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Definitely 9 Ball in The Color of Money (the sequel).

Just googled it and apparently it is something called straight pool in the original film. It’s appears you can pot anything you want but you have to nominate the pocket, One ball potted is worth one point and you can play up to 150 points. Apparently some people have actually potted 150 straight balls and this was the go to game of pool back then. 

You learn something new every day

57 minutes ago, BOF said:

On a similar note, 7-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson has switched to Indycar this season because he wanted a go at open-wheeled single seater racing. So you kinda get a look at your premise from the other way around, even if he is 45 years old. It's still a very interesting story and part of why I have more interest in Indycar this season than I ever have before. The other being that Romain Grosjean of F1 explosion fame is also in Indycar this season, as is 3-time Supercar champion Scott McLaughlin. Those 3 'rookies' make for a fascinating Indycar experiment this season.

Mansell won the championship in his debut indy car season. There are these anomalies. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Mansell won the championship in his debut indy car season. There are these anomalies. 

Only person to be reigning F1 and IndyCar champion at the same time I think?

ranfFtv.gif

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Yeah he was in his prime which makes it a better comparison plus IIRC the 2 cars back then were closer in spec than they would be today. 

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I wonder, if you put Hamilton in a Nascar competition, would he still be the best driver just because he is very good at Formula 1?

Does your body go through the same g forces when all it does is turn left? 

But seriously I'm not a F1 fan at all but I thought what made Hamilton a great driver was aggressive late braking which doesn't translate well in to Nascar but then also calculating and timing moves which would 

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Does your body go through the same g forces when all it does is turn left? 

But seriously I'm not a F1 fan at all but I thought what made Hamilton a great driver was aggressive late braking which doesn't translate well in to Nascar but then also calculating and timing moves which would 

I guess to be top at anything, you have to be ready for all neuances. I bet if Hamilton drove a NASCAR he would not "feel" the car like the pros due to a million different factors that us mortals don't even think about. 

3 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Coldplay.

Dreadful band

They seem to have a habit of having one really catchy song on an album and another 9 piles of wank.

Saw them live a few times for the first and 2nd album, they were good tbf to them and Chris Martin was a good frontman, loads of interaction with the crowd without ever feeling like he was about to split them in to left and right and seeing who could cheer loudest... They're kind of cheesy without taking the piss and going full pop band

Rush of blood to the head is a cracking album 

Gone right shit now though, gave up on them after the 5th album, they seem to have found a sound which makes them huge globally and that sound is shit 

I like Chris Martin, seems a decent chap. 

Plus some cracking songs like Yellow, Trouble, Talk and Fix You. 

• Like 1

Stopped keeping up with them after “X&Y” so really only hear the singles they put out and not many stick out. The riff to “Charlie Brown” is quite catchy and am obviously familiar with “Viva la Vida”. I think “Rush of blood...” is pretty good, but it’s been at least 10 years since I listened to it. 

My memory of them coming through - I think the prevailing sense at the time was “Ok, here’s another Travis, they might do alright...”

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I guess to be top at anything, you have to be ready for all neuances. I bet if Hamilton drove a NASCAR he would not "feel" the car like the pros due to a million different factors that us mortals don't even think about. 

Kimi Raikkonnen entered a couple of NASCAR races (might have been nascar trucks) and did alright I think.

I imagine someone like Hamilton, if given time to adjust to the sport, would be pretty good at any class of car racing. These guys grow up racing all sorts of cars.

That being said oval racing is very different tactically. For all the stick it gets from UK audiences, the tactics in it are incredible

Â