Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

It takes the piss, doesn’t it. I was half tempted not to bother but you can guarantee you end up with a ticket for your troubles. 

Just remembered another one where I put £5 coins in a machine at the hospital, no ticket came out. I went back to the car and an engineer arrived the second I left. I walked back over and told him I’d put a fiver in and got no ticket. He suddenly went on the defensive saying I had no proof and I could be anyone trying to get money off him. After a frustratingly pointless discussion he “let me off” from paying any more and said I could park without one. Yeah cheers pal.

I hate these machines! 

My Dad sells the odd bit of stuff on FB Marketplace. The sort of stuff thats too big to sell on eBay, like old garden furniture or lawnmowers etc. As soon as he posts something for say £40, people will send a message saying something like "£20. Cash. Tonight". As if that is meant to persuade him! What else are they going to pay with? Potatoes? Stamps?

I know its something that people used to say when buying a used car years ago (as opposed to paying with a bankers draft / cheque) but nowadays, the promise of cash means **** all, when you can pay online instantly. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Xela said:

the promise of cash means **** all, when you can pay online instantly. 

Actually it means less, banks charge businesses to put cash in the bank. Cash is no longer worth what it says on the cover

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

My Dad sells the odd bit of stuff on FB Marketplace. The sort of stuff thats too big to sell on eBay, like old garden furniture or lawnmowers etc. As soon as he posts something for say £40, people will send a message saying something like "£20. Cash. Tonight". As if that is meant to persuade him! What else are they going to pay with? Potatoes? Stamps?

I know its something that people used to say when buying a used car years ago (as opposed to paying with a bankers draft / cheque) but nowadays, the promise of cash means **** all, when you can pay online instantly. 

Doing him a huge favour as he can keep it off the books rather than having to declare it to the tax man... 

Its lost its meaning 

I'm sure there are still a lot of services where being paid in cash does come in handy and therefore worth a discount but people lose the understanding of where to apply it 

Fwiw I once sat in a meeting at work and got offered a discount for paying in cash, it was for a £1.4m shop that we were building in Wolverhampton, the guy wanted to pay me cash every week, some of it would have been over £100k 😂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Doing him a huge favour as he can keep it off the books rather than having to declare it to the tax man... 

Its lost its meaning 

I'm sure there are still a lot of services where being paid in cash does come in handy and therefore worth a discount but people lose the understanding of where to apply it 

Fwiw I once sat in a meeting at work and got offered a discount for paying in cash, it was for a £1.4m shop that we were building in Wolverhampton, the guy wanted to pay me cash every week, some of it would have been over £100k 😂

I get it for businesses, but for a plant pot and garden gnome sold privately! :D 

Plus with FB Marketplace, 80% of people who say they are on their way, never turn up. Must be a lot of fatal road accidents. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Xela said:

I get it for businesses, but for a plant pot and garden gnome sold privately! :D 

Plus with FB Marketplace, 80% of people who say they are on their way, never turn up. Must be a lot of fatal road accidents. 

They probably get waylaid looking for an ATM. 

11 hours ago, Xela said:

I drove to Castleford last Friday to buy some greenhouse staging that the missus bought on FB marketplace. Yes, the bloke wanted payment in cash. 

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Think the only thing you can’t pay for via an app on your phone nowadays is cocaine and hookers , but I’m sure there is probably is an app somewhere that does it 

Venmo

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Think I've spotted your problem tbf mate :P

£5 coins do exist and they are legal tender, though you'd be an idiot for spending them in the traditional sense, although they are intended as commemorative coinage, they released two last year with unlimited mintage (George III and some shite band by the name of Qu**n) so we may be seeing the testing of the waters...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

£5 coins do exist and they are legal tender, though you'd be an idiot for spending them in the traditional sense, although they are intended as commemorative coinage, they released two last year with unlimited mintage (George III and some shite band by the name of Qu**n) so we may be seeing the testing of the waters...

That's interesting, hadn't heard of that 👍

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

some shite band by the name of Qu**n

Oohhhh.  Do you mean Queen?  Yes, I've heard of them so they absolutely must be shit.  

Edited by sidcow

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oohhhh.  Do you mean Queen?  Yes, I've heard of them so they absolutely must be shit.  

What a strange way to consider music. Most of us just like what we like. I dont like Qu**n so they are indeed shit

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

What a strange way to consider music. Most of us just like what we like. I dont like Qu**n so they are indeed shit

It's just an oddity of VT that pretty much every major mainstream band anyone mentions is immediately derided and then there will be a big discussion about how some band from Hull called Petersons Yellow Van Tyres are probably the finest band to have ever existed. 

Just makes me smile a bit is all. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's just an oddity of VT that pretty much every major mainstream band anyone mentions is immediately derided and then there will be a big discussion about how some band from Hull called Petersons Yellow Van Tyres are probably the finest band to have ever existed. 

You just like them because they fit in with your royalty fetish.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Do you always post things that are demonstrably not true?

Hell only this last week the VT Music Snobs were discussing REM favourably. Most of them love The B**tles, quite a few of us really like Pink FLoyd and Led Zeppelin. I even don't doubt that some of us secretly like early Elton John material. At least one of the common VT Music posters really likes Taylor Swift. We've had a number of favourable discussions about The Rolling Stones, one of those in the last couple of weeks.

I really don't think I've ever seen one of us say a band as obscure as you seem to be painting is the best band in the world ever. But just because you haven't heard of an artist, doesn't mean they are rubbish either.

Now I might seem to be taking this rather too seriously but thats because most of us do take music seriously because it's a constant in our lives. This clearly isn't the case for you but do us a favour and stop making shit that never happens up.

• Like 3

Â