Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

If you disliked Oasis there was a period in the 90s where music got really awful. Bands wanted to be Oasis and that blueprint isnt a good starting point. 

Have you seen the 7 ages of rock series on BBC? 

I didn't realise it at the time but on reflection fully get it just how bad music got at the end of the 90s

They go on to describe it as a punk 2nd wave with the strokes and the libs, from memory I ended the 90s with RHCPs as my favourite band 

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's probably all you'll find in Chester :mrgreen:

Not true really. Brook Street is where you want to go. Grey and Pink have a huge selection of 2nd hand. I think there are a few others on that street now too but Grey and Pink has been there for ages

Yep, it was Pink & Grey that I was heading for, looks to be walking distance from where I’m working so it would be rude not to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, it was Pink & Grey that I was heading for, looks to be walking distance from where I’m working so it would be rude not to.

Can't vouch for the others on that street but I have bought from Grey and Pink once I think, the others are less well established. Lots of Prog if I remember correctly but that was some time ago

If you see any vastly underpriced On-U sound or Hit-Run let me know

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Even at their best Coldplay's music is very meh.  

Saw them live at Glasto in 16.  Put on a decent enough show I guess.

What you mean is, you missed LCD Soundsystem playing one of the all time great festival shows.

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wasn't there a band called Athlete who sounded exactly like Coldplay? 

As if having a crap name wasn't bad enough. 

I didn't mind their first album either, that had a slightly different sound but then after that they went biege 

1 hour ago, useless said:

When Coldplay first emerged on the scene I think they were seen as a sort of copy of Radiohead.

there was an A&R bloke on radio 5 a few years back talking about the music industry and music in general and he said that Coldplay were on a lot of the record labels radar and getting some interest through the gigs they were playing  but nobody knew quite what to do with them ( presumably in a pigeonhole / where is their market sense)  and labels were reluctant to sign them  ..

Alas , someone eventually took a punt , if anyone can find his name , i'll round up an angry mob and send them in his direction

• Haha 1

As Radiohead went more 'experimental' and stopped making as much ballady rock type music, there was a void left and bands like Coldplay, keane and so on were able to take advantage of that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'm in the video for fix you, was a gig at the Bolton stadium on a Sunday night, elbow supporting

The Saturday night was oasis in the city of manachester stadium 

It was that much of a come down from the energy and crowd of the night before that I never saw them again, right miserable 6ft 10" **** with an umbrella stood right in front of me but because no one was moving or jumping or anything I couldn't find a way to get round him 

Was that the gig they put out on DVD, when the barrier at the front broke and everything was on hold for 20 minutes?

I was at that one. Live 8 was happening the same day and they were showing some of the bands between support acts. I vividly remember the negative reaction from the crowd when Coldplay appeared on the big screens and the completely contrasting reaction when Richard Ashcroft joined them to do “Bitter Sweet Symphony”. The response was such, that I initially thought they’d changed the live feed and that he walked on the stage in Manchester rather than Live 8.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

I don't want to offend anyone's musical tastes but radiohead remind me of a cold monday morning trudge to work (in a job i hate) in the lashing rain. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, useless said:

At one time a lot of people turned their noses up at Oasis, now it's seen as okay to like them, even cool and trendy.

Is it? I would have guessed the opposite. 

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

What you mean is, you missed LCD Soundsystem playing one of the all time great festival shows.

Ha well spotted.  It was my original intention but it was a washout year and we'd elected to drive home on the Sunday night (first clear sign I was getting old).  As such I was stone cold sober and decided to be boring (like Coldplay).  Thought to myself when else will I ever see Coldplay and I had also seen LCD on the Other Stage in 2010. 

I hope you can forgive me.

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Ha well spotted.  It was my original intention but it was a washout year and we'd elected to drive home on the Sunday night (first clear sign I was getting old).  As such I was stone cold sober and decided to be boring (like Coldplay).  Thought to myself when else will I ever see Coldplay and I had also seen LCD on the Other Stage in 2010. 

I hope you can forgive me.

There must have been a choice other than a Talking Heads tribute act and a Bunnymen tribute act?

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Have you seen the 7 ages of rock series on BBC? 

I didn't realise it at the time but on reflection fully get it just how bad music got at the end of the 90s

They go on to describe it as a punk 2nd wave with the strokes and the libs, from memory I ended the 90s with RHCPs as my favourite band 

I have a lot of nostalgia for the late 90s but I was all into my Green Day/Offspring  Nu-Metal etc.  You definitely had to be the right age at the time for that stuff to have resonated with you though.

21 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Was that the gig they put out on DVD, when the barrier at the front broke and everything was on hold for 20 minutes?

I was at that one. Live 8 was happening the same day and they were showing some of the bands between support acts. I vividly remember the negative reaction from the crowd when Coldplay appeared on the big screens and the completely contrasting reaction when Richard Ashcroft joined them to do “Bitter Sweet Symphony”. The response was such, that I initially thought they’d changed the live feed and that he walked on the stage in Manchester rather than Live 8.

I'm sure that was the Friday night

Was a great weekend, went up saturday morning and I'm pretty sure we stayed in a room above the black and white pub in the centre of the city, the we didn't have oasis tickets so got some off a tout, subways and I'm sure doves supported, went back in to Manchester for a night out, saw 4 girls having squatting at the top of some steps to maybe the town hall or something like that... They were having a piss race down the steps, 5th avenue... Next day drove over to Bolton, had a session in the pub on the roundabout that you use for the football, watched Coldplay in the rain supported by elbow 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, useless said:

At one time a lot of people turned their noses up at Oasis, now it's seen as okay to like them, even cool and trendy.

I think it's because there's been no one like that since, Liam is still hugely popular with the lads lads lads crowd and the rest of that scene - courteeners, gerry cinnamon, pretty much anyone apart from the DMAs who are great - is utter garbage 

If you're a 21 year old kid now in to your music football raincoats beer and like a sniff you can almost guarantee that they'll be a massive oasis fan, they've never been surpassed, they were the band of my generation but the following generation has no one so they've stuck around 

• Like 1

I don’t get how my girlfriends brother in law can go to hospital in the morning with severe pains in his groin, be sent off home with some co-codamol and then end up back there in intensive care hours later having collapsed and stopped breathing at home. 

He’s now unresponsive and unable to breathe without aid.

I’ve never sat comfortably with people who go after compensation from the NHS but they really don’t help themselves sometimes, similar thing happened to my mates Dad a couple of years back, had crippling back pain but they kept fobbing him off before he collapsed and only then did they realise he had an infection on his spine, he died a few days later.

• Sad 3

Â