$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

COME ON GUYS! think about it from a business sense, do you really think randy Lerner would declare to the world he was 'selling' without having the deal done and dusted already, it would pressure the sale and makes absolutely no business sense whatsoever, due diligence would normally take place at the end of the season so may take another 3-4 weeks before you hear any more. whatever you want to level at the chairman, he would not leave Aston villa that way, and has the clubs best interests at heart. unfortunately, football and business do not run parallel to each other.

• Like 1

- at the takeover he did say if he couldn't take Villa forward he would go. He has done that and not hung around. Respect for that

He did hang around, hence our last 3 seasons being our 3 worst ever prem years.
I can't speak for him, but I imagine that Randy thought that once the wage-bill was sorted, then we could have another go.

He has probably seen the last 2 years as having to spend £25m per season to stand still, and finally realised that he does not have the finances to fire us back up the table.

I can't agree at all. I think the last two seasons have all been about setting us up for a sale.
What would you rather he did?

Kept us running with finances spiralling out of control meaning nobody would touch us?

Why are the two extremes the only options?

Where did I say that? I just offered an example.

And you didn't answer the question...

Waiting until after the final game of the season to issue the statement was the right thing to do but i really hope Randy's been working on the sale behind the scenes for the last few weeks/months

If not and the process really does start today then we're in for another season of struggle because to find a buyer, then complete the sale, then possibly find and appoint another manager, who then has to assess the squad and then make signings is a LOT to fit into 1 summer

The statement from General Krulak is just strange

• Like 1

"On a practical level, the Club will continue with its normal operations and plans for the summer."

I had hoped the statement would be of a sale rather than that we are for sale. :( 

Could it be that any offers he may have had did not match his valuation and we are now up for grabs on a general basis in the hope that other bids might?

It may well be that a hunt for a buyer at the right price may be a long one and that in the interim any targets we may have had for players will move elsewhere with us starting the season with the same squad and manager in place because the current owner will not pay off the current manager or make any signings with the prospect of a sale pending. This really needs sorting out quickly because the longer we continue to tread water the more likely it is that we will drown at the end of next season.   

the evidence so far suggests otherwise to me

What evidence?

The fact that Randy is normally a very private individual who rarely makes a statement unless he needs to do so. He didn't need to make a statement telling us things that Villa fans have suspected for a long time now - that he isn't interested in owning us or at least can't afford to.

That and Krulak's statement. Why would he bother to say anything now? Why would he put himself out there to face fan backlash if nothing was in the works?

I'm not saying a sale will definitely happen because no one can know these things and there are so many variables in such a complicated thing as buying and selling a football club, but I just can't understand all the worrying and the negativity when the signs, to me at least, point towards a sale.

Edited by Ginko

What evidence?

The fact that Randy is normally a very private individual who rarely makes a statement unless he needs to do so. He didn't need to make a statement telling us things that Villa fans have suspected for a long time now - that he isn't interested in owning us or at least can't afford to.

That doesn't make it evidence that we're near a deal though.

What evidence?

That doesn't make it evidence that we're near a deal though.

I edited my initial response and added to it, but I'll say it here too. I'm just saying that what we do know so far, i.e. the statements of Lerner and Krulak and what we know of Randy from previous, seems to point towards a sale, to me at least. That and his cost-cutting in recent years. Some people seem to think that selling us has only just now been decided. To me it would seem it's been on the cards for some time, so why make a statement now?

Edited by Ginko

Lerner is more than astute on a business level and Villa have been primed for a sale over the last couple of years.

I think we should be in good hands as Lerner won't sell to someone who doesn't have our best interests at heart...I'm hopeful things will be quite exciting!

• Like 1

Lerner is more than astute on a business level and Villa have been primed for a sale over the last couple of years.

I think we should be in good hands as Lerner won't sell to someone who doesn't have our best interests at heart...I'm hopeful things will be quite exciting!

What?

What business has Lerner ever run successfully?

I think a potential buyer may also chose not to be named due to the media circus that would come with it. Randy clearly is a private individual, Randy did a similar thing with the Browns and said they weren't for sale about 2 months before he announced they were indeed for sale. Also, the links that have been made already see if linked with several people who already own sports clubs, it's safe to say any fans of those clubs would not enjoy the fact that their owners are trying to put money into another club. Lastly, something that has been majorly overlooked is how much Lambert kicked off about going to Germany instead of the States last year for pre-season he was saying how much easier it made everything and that he felt that the US tour wasn't the best idea. The fact we are going to Texas for a pre-season tour indicates to me, we are in advanced talks with someone from that area.

Edited by Folski

On the contrary I think Lerner is a **** businessman and his time as owner of AVFC reinforces that opinion.

Despite being lauded as a Billionaire entrepreneur when he first joined us, he hasn't actually ever created a successful business.

While I like Lerner, not sure I agree. He'll probably just sell it to the highest bidder to cover as much of his losses as possible. If he was going to make a tidy profit then I could see him being more selective about the new owners.

I still wouldn't be surprised Lambert leaves before any takeover deal goes through. He might even walk if another club contacts him about possible employment.

He said he wouldn't walk away.

Let's say he does it's no real loss anyway in my opinion.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is it a bit odd that we have heard from Krulak but not Faulkner?

Considering Faulkner has been the man to speak up over the last few years, the only real communicator from the board, I think its weird that he hasn't been once mentioned or released a statement.

Edited by samjp26