$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Lerner is more than astute on a business level and Villa have been primed for a sale over the last couple of years.

I think we should be in good hands as Lerner won't sell to someone who doesn't have our best interests at heart...I'm hopeful things will be quite exciting!

What?

What business has Lerner ever run successfully?

I know it's not exactly a well known company, but perhaps MBNA rings a bell?

He might not be good at running sports franchises, or at least not at choosing who runs them for him, but people suggesting he doesn't know anything about business are ridiculous. Just because his dad was rich doesn't mean that Randy is clueless. You don't run a business and sell it for a profit or remain head of a huge company like MBNA without being a good businessman. 

I can understand the criticism of his running of Villa and the Browns, but the harshest critics should take faith that the buying and selling of businesses is something Randy does know a thing or two about.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Villa will face FC Dallas at the Toyota Stadium on July 23 and Houston Dynamo at the BBVA Compass Stadium on July 26.

Villa boss Paul Lambert said: "It's a good place to go and play football.

"The facilities are really good, the weather will be warm as well and a lot of teams in the Barclays Premier League go to the US now for pre-season, so it will be good for us.

"The Premier League is world-renowned and everywhere you go people know what it's about. They're getting into it now in the US, too, and it's good for us to tap into that interest and to attract new fans to the club."

That was on the 1st of April, Lambert definitely said that he thought travelling to America made things very difficult in his first summer here, so he has changed his tune. For me we are definitely in talks with someone from this area, and must be at very advanced stages.

Reading Krulak's nonsense is like nails being scraped down a blackboard. I'd hoped we'd seen the last of him when he packed up his Bright Future lies and ran off to be in charge of that university.

• Like 1

Lerner is more than astute on a business level and Villa have been primed for a sale over the last couple of years.

I think we should be in good hands as Lerner won't sell to someone who doesn't have our best interests at heart...I'm hopeful things will be quite exciting!

What?

What business has Lerner ever run successfully?

I know it's not exactly a well known company, but perhaps MBNA rings a bell?

He might not be good at running sports franchises, or at least not at choosing who runs them for him, but people suggesting he doesn't know anything about business are ridiculous. Just because his dad was rich doesn't mean that Randy is clueless. You don't run a business and sell it for a profit or remain head of a huge company like MBNA without being a good businessman. 

I can understand the criticism of his running of Villa and the Browns, but the harshest critics should take faith that the buying and selling of businesses is something Randy does know a thing or two about.

Lerner did not "run" MBNA, he became Chairman as a result of inheriting his fathers shares.

This thread has shown how much people truly know. Glad I never got caught up in the whole sale drama. Looks like it is going to be a depressing summer. I can see us starting the season with the same setup with no further investment.

Randy isn't going to put anymore money into the club so if we don't sell next season could be even worse.

Fair enough, but he also started, ran and ultimately sold his own company prior to chairing MBNA.

My point is that despite his lack of skills in running a football club, buying and selling business is one area he does know.

Fair enough, but he also started, ran and ultimately sold his own company prior to chairing MBNA.

My point is that despite his lack of skills in running a football club, buying and selling business is one area he does know.

What company was that Ginko? Not trying to get on your back just didn't know this myself.

Wiki makes mention of a firm called Securities Advisors, Inc. but I'll be honest, I'm not an expert on the life and career of Randolph David Lerner. All I'm saying is that you don't spend this long in high positions of business like he does without learning a few things about buying and selling.

Edited by Ginko

Wiki makes mention of a firm called Securities Advisors, Inc. but I'll be honest, I'm not an expert on the life and career of Randolph David Lerner. All I'm saying is that you don't spend this long in high positions of business like he does without learning a few things about buying and selling.

He also presumably oversaw the sale of MNBA to the Bank of America in 2006; hopefully he can find a similarly big name to for the sale of Villa!

• Like 1

Don't question us folk of VT.  We are right on all things; from being a football manager to running a business - we've got this shit covered.

Let's just chip in and make Randy an offer.

• Like 2

I might bid for villa, and pay for the club in blow jobs..

£200 million quids' worth of blow jobs.

I'd pay for players in the same way. 

Cheeky £150m bid for Messi perhaps? :lol:

the evidence so far suggests otherwise to me

What evidence?

The fact that Randy is normally a very private individual who rarely makes a statement unless he needs to do so. He didn't need to make a statement telling us things that Villa fans have suspected for a long time now - that he isn't interested in owning us or at least can't afford to.

That doesn't make it evidence that we're near a deal though.

I edited my initial response and added to it, but I'll say it here too. I'm just saying that what we do know so far, i.e. the statements of Lerner and Krulak and what we know of Randy from previous, seems to point towards a sale, to me at least. That and his cost-cutting in recent years. Some people seem to think that selling us has only just now been decided. To me it would seem it's been on the cards for some time, so why make a statement now?

Ah ok.  In that case we agree.  I thought you were suggesting that the evidence pointed to a deal being as good as done.

All clear!

• Like 1

How much a go?

I realise it's a little of track but where does this leave us as far as contract renewals. Albrighton, gardner etc. Also the pending investigations into karsa and culverhouse. Can anyone shed light on these issues?

How much a go?

What's fair?

a quid?

the evidence so far suggests otherwise to me

What evidence?

The fact that Randy is normally a very private individual who rarely makes a statement unless he needs to do so. He didn't need to make a statement telling us things that Villa fans have suspected for a long time now - that he isn't interested in owning us or at least can't afford to.

That doesn't make it evidence that we're near a deal though.

I edited my initial response and added to it, but I'll say it here too. I'm just saying that what we do know so far, i.e. the statements of Lerner and Krulak and what we know of Randy from previous, seems to point towards a sale, to me at least. That and his cost-cutting in recent years. Some people seem to think that selling us has only just now been decided. To me it would seem it's been on the cards for some time, so why make a statement now?

Ah ok.  In that case we agree.  I thought you were suggesting that the evidence pointed to a deal being as good as done.

All clear!

Nah, I'd never make a definitive statement like that unless I knew for sure. I'm just stating my opinion is all. I don't know anything for sure, of course, but I do think that something is in the pipeline. Whether it's near to completion or in the early stages I wouldn't dare make a guess, but I don't think Randy and the General would come out with statements now if there wasn't something happening.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1