André Green

sir_gary_cahill

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's cool and I am sure you will get many agreeing, I personally think he has entered that zone where he can do no right. Even when he is fine, it isn't enough anymore. 

I understand it. 

Edit - absolutely needs a loan by the way and will get one. 

I think the problem now, is that he was ‘fine’ in the Championship and League 1. That’s not going to cut it in a survival seeking Premier League season, so people will rightly say that it isn’t enough.

I get what you’re saying. Essentially, he’s the newest scapegoat, but it’s been a while since we’ve seen him have a ‘fine’ game where he’s reached the quality levels of an El Ghazi in a ‘fine’ game. He currently seems to spend about 80% of his appearance time struggling to contribute, and then for 20% of the time he might do a decent run or a decent cross. It’s not enough right now.

As we’ve all said, he definitely needs a loan.  

I think Hepburn-Murphy was definitely better than him, or rather looked more dangerous, but Green played okay too, as he did on Sunday, but we know he's capable of better. I sometimes think that for some reason fans tend to judge our youngsters more harshly than perhaps signings brought into the club via the transfer sytem, and if they're not looking like wonder kids, they're deemed not good enough, many were even writing off Grealish until he came back from his injury the season before last.

19 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's cool and I am sure you will get many agreeing, I personally think he has entered that zone where he can do no right. Even when he is fine, it isn't enough anymore. 

I understand it. 

Edit - absolutely needs a loan by the way and will get one. 

This. Had he scored that goal when he hit the bar he would have got a few comments in passing about it. 

Had one of the new players done the same everyone would be going nuts.

I guess it’s just how it is and I understand that. 

Im really trying to judge every player on the preseason and not what I know of them already and I think they’ve all been ok with a few stand outs in maybe Jota and Wesley.

Nobody has been shocking. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This. Had he scored that goal when he hit the bar he would have got a few comments in passing about it. 

Had one of the new players done the same everyone would be going nuts.

I guess it’s just how it is and I understand that. 

Im really trying to judge every player on the preseason and not what I know of them already and I think they’ve all been ok with a few stand outs in maybe Jota and Wesley.

Nobody has been shocking. 

Green was absolutely shocking today. Total turd. Misplaced passes, lost possession, couldn't cross, couldn't beat his man, missed the chances he got. Generally awful. Was embarrassing to watch cause he clearly is out of his depth. One small trickery does not cancel out 70 minutes of shit. 

He needs a loan, but I am certain he will never make it. It's not mental with him, he just simply lacks ability. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Green was absolutely shocking today. Total turd. Misplaced passes, lost possession, couldn't cross, couldn't beat his man, missed the chances he got. Generally awful. Was embarrassing to watch cause he clearly is out of his depth. One small trickery does not cancel out 70 minutes of shit. 

He needs a loan, but I am certain he will never make it. It's not mental with him, he just simply lacks ability. 

Wow I really didn’t see that. I thought he was just average. 

Guess we wll all see things differently.

8 hours ago, av1 said:

With our current options on the wing I'd have Elmo over Green in the 4th spot. 

Perhaps Elmo is considered as cover for right wing and we’re going to buy another right back as opposed to another right sided winger? Obviously he can cover both, but not at the same time, we still need numbers. 

Looks the weak link at the moment, he looks like the part, IE physically, but as others have pointed out, one run or one decent cross in a game is just not up to the required premier league standard. 

I really, really hope we can sign Benrahma, who would be absolutely class in this team - and send Andre out on loan, preferably to a Championship club - he needs a solid run of games and show he has got something about him.

Not totally writing him off yet... and hope he can prove all his doubters wrong - including me. 

At the moment, I'm still assuming we don't have infinite moneys to play with this summer. So I'm thinking Green will be in and around the squad this season as a 4th winger option. And I'm not that bothered if he is.

I agree in an ideal world we'd probably be able to find technically better players who will have more of an impact on games and plenty of names have been thrown around in that mould. Lolley, Benrahma etc. And the best thing for us as a club would be extending his contract, loaning him out and bring him through that way or cash in on him in the future. However with Andre I'm not sure he lacks game sense/awareness etc it's purely technical ability for me and surely being around better players in training every day would bring that on better than a weekly turn-out for Charlton or whoever? So maybe the best thing for ANDRE would be working hard with ROK/Deano everyday, learning from Jota/Jack/AEG/Wesley etc

He's still only 20. Missed the best part of a year to injury. There's still time and he can improve. He is also a 'freebie' in terms of squad registation, being U21. Whether that will factor into our thinking, who knows? But he's a good lad it seems. Good to have around the squad. And with trying to integrate new players into the squad a bit of the much lauded continuity. He has a good rapport with Jack on the field I think - perhaps due to coming through the youth systems at similar times

I also want to say he's hit the woodwork a lot in his short career to date, last night the latest example. If that/those shots go in would we be talking about the potential he has more?

• Like 1

He needs to be more aggressive. His shot, where he hit the bar, came from him forcing the issue - he was aggressive. Sometimes he's a bit too casual with the ball, doesn't try to use his pace and trickery, and that's what we need more of. 

We can't give up on him yet, he's still young - and I think he will blossom a bit later, he just needs confidence and time. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I really don't see any talent in there.

All i see is an average Championship footballer.

They apparently go for £12m nowadays...

Well worth us continuing and trying to develop Green. He has great attributes, but not so much decision making and intelligence, probably due to injuries he is 50 games down on what he should have by now.

Confidence and development probably not helped last season rotating with Adomah for that right wing spot, he isn't a right winger and he never will be. El Ghazi should be where he aspires to be, those are the attributes he can possess, needs game and consistency and a lot more luck with injuries.

Needs another loan.

26 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

He needs to be more aggressive. His shot, where he hit the bar, came from him forcing the issue - he was aggressive. Sometimes he's a bit too casual with the ball, doesn't try to use his pace and trickery, and that's what we need more of. 

We can't give up on him yet, he's still young - and I think he will blossom a bit later, he just needs confidence and time. 

Agreed - when Ashley Young was at his best for us under MON he seemed to be able to use his pace and ball skills to attack the full back everytime he got the ball. It terrified full backs and won us a ton of penalties and goals. Green only managed it once or twice in the whole game last night - it's surely a confidence thing. He doesn't seem to have the swagger Young used to have.

• Thanks 1

He receives the ball, and too often hesitates while he decides what to do with it, slowing attacks down. Dwell on the ball in the Premiership , and he will simply be dispossessed. Simply doesn’t look the complete package as a footballer to me. Another loan might be the best for him.

• Like 1

Physically, he's your template Prem Footballer.  He's got tricks, he's got pace, but he isn't assertive/aggressive enough.  We know he's going to come inside, but that's ok if you play with purpose.  He needs to attack his full back a bit quicker, because he can dally on the ball.  

a loan until Xmas at a decent Championship club would be good for him.  I believe he has the attributes to make it, but I really want him to look like he's enjoying his football and keep his head held high, that'll be the making or breaking of him.

Keep going Andre! 

I really don’t think he has anything to suggest he’s going to improve to be good enough for where Villa want to go.

If an offer came in from a Championship side I’d sell or push him out on loan until his contract ends.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I really don't see any talent in there.

All i see is an average Championship footballer.

A clear contradiction on its own.

Whether Green will ever be a Premier League footballer is of course very much up for discussion, but at the end of the day none of us know yet. And football is full of evidence that you can never be certain about anything, there is so much affecting players development and performances at various stages during their career. Now its totally fine to speculate and share opinions of course, thats what forums like this is for. And I very much agree its looking less likely now than it did 2 years ago. But the need for many on here to completely write him off at the current stage is simply baffling to me. 

Â