André Green

sir_gary_cahill

I wonder if he might actually become a striker? I remember last pre-season (or maybe even pre-season before?), where he was forced to play up top through a lack of options - and actually played well, scoring a few good goals.

He wasn’t an effective winger in the Championship, so I don’t hold out much hope for him in that position this season.

But I do wonder if he can play up top. Callum Robinson was an even less effective winger through our academy and he’s made a similar transition. 

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm going to buck the trend here and say he has looked interesting this pre-season. I have watched both games and whilst accusations regarding his end product are still relevant at times, he has an assist. He has been getting into some good positions, working the full back, cutting inside at the right times and has carried the ball well. 

A full season on loan would do him some good, but if we choose to carry him as a 4th winger for the first half of the season to allow our own coaches to get stuck into him I won't be alarmed. I still think he has a ceiling of 'average premier league winger' but he is a ways from hitting that yet, however I think the ability is there. Nothing has happened to change my mind on that. 

My worry is this.

• some coaches just want players to sort them selves out.....and I can kinda understand that to a degree...and some players can do that.
  • Some players need some one on one tuition....some dedicated time spent with them to understand fully what is expected and how to prosper....I have a suspicion Andre is such a player....It maybe Aston Villa can do that better than somewhere else.

I am not advocating which method is right, just saying different approaches exist....but we are more interested in our player, than someone else.

I want Andre to succeed, but recognise what the doubters say......but at some stage he has to deliver performances that keep him in the team.

playing first team football is not benevolent....The manager his coaches and the CEO'S jobs are all on the line to get results.......players have to deliver and the young players have to understand that too.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Cizzler said:

I wonder if he might actually become a striker? I remember last pre-season (or maybe even pre-season before?), where he was forced to play up top through a lack of options - and actually played well, scoring a few good goals.

He wasn’t an effective winger in the Championship, so I don’t hold out much hope for him in that position this season.

But I do wonder if he can play up top. Callum Robinson was an even less effective winger through our academy and he’s made a similar transition. 

Seriously doubt his ability to be a striker - he has a very very tame shot on him as highlighted by his weak shots in the latest friendly. He is far from clinical and tbh lacks the ability to play PL in my eyes.

The fact he has failed to register a decent performance in either Minnesota game or Shrewsbury highlights again to me the lack of quality he has and the fact he simply isn’t good enough for Premier League.

As sad as it is as I’m sure we would all wish for our homegrown players to come good - I simply think he should be used as a makeweight in trying to bring in added depth to the wing positions. I.E possibly as part of some deal to bring in Benrahma from Brentford.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I want Andre to succeed, but recognise what the doubters say......but at some stage he has to deliver performances that keep him in the team.

playing first team football is not benevolent....The manager his coaches and the CEO'S jobs are all on the line to get results.......players have to deliver and the young players have to understand that too.

I agree 100%. I am definitely not absolving Andre Green of responsibility. 

just watching green vs walsall.

terrible, we cant have this guy as primary backup to the L/R wing.

we have jota, trez and el ghazi, we could really do with benraham too imo, i would only consider green if there was a global plague or something, hes so ineffective.

would sign benrahma, to give us him, jota, el ghazi and trez, and then send green out on loan, he needs to get a full season under his belt in the championship imo.

• Like 1

If he wasn’t a youth graduate Andre Green would be  run out of town. Poor footballer at best.

3 games against weaker opposition and has done less than nothing of note. Thankfully we seem to have strengthened in this area.

1 minute ago, Mark_1989 said:

If he wasn’t a youth graduate Andre Green would be  run out of town. Poor footballer at best.

3 games against weaker opposition and has done less than nothing of note. Thankfully we seem to have strengthened in this area.

Just as I typed this he did some tidy skill and hit the bar lol...still not deserving of a match day squad.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I swear there’s a player in there somewhere. 

I agree, not sure Andre does. If he doesn't realise soon he'll be getting released at the end of his contract.

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

well, RHM did more on the left in 15 mins vs walsall, than green did in 70.

I disagree. I thought this was much better from Andre, he was heavily involved. 

At least, unlike RHM, when he danced through their defence he got his shot off. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I disagree. I thought this was much better from Andre, he was heavily involved. 

At least, unlike RHM, when he danced through their defence he got his shot off. 

Personally thought green was terrible, just my opinion though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Personally thought green was terrible, just my opinion though.

It's cool and I am sure you will get many agreeing, I personally think he has entered that zone where he can do no right. Even when he is fine, it isn't enough anymore. 

I understand it. 

Edit - absolutely needs a loan by the way and will get one. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's cool and I am sure you will get many agreeing, I personally think he has entered that zone where he can do no right. Even when he is fine, it isn't enough anymore. 

I understand it. 

Edit - absolutely needs a loan by the way and will get one. 

Yeah I think he needs a full season loan playing week in week out to get that confidence to make things happen.

A full season in the championship would do him good I reckon.

• Like 2

He's not hiding and always appears to want the ball, but is he trying too hard when he gets it?  I'm just not sure he's right for us at this point?  If we can afford to loan him and monitor his progress for a full season then great.  I still like the lad. 

• Like 1

Â