André Green

sir_gary_cahill

47 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Francis at 16 was banging them in for blues.  Mark Walters was another one that was great when a teenager. I agree Andre Green has two years to make his name but somehow I don't expect him to. Although Grealish hasn't really matured as a player under 22-23 we could all see the potential when Sherwood was manager. 

Paul....I once had very in depth conversations with what turned out to be a top player.

He was in a similar situation to Andre.....I gave him a few home truths during  long conversations.... not saying it was all down to me, at all.... but the player refocused and went on to rip up trees.

I have no idea what has or hasn't been done with Andre....but my point is, i have seen a sea of change from close quarters, so its possible.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Paul....I once had very in depth conversations with what turned out to be a top player.

He was in a similar situation to Andre.....I gave him a few home truths during  long conversations.... not saying it was all down to me, at all.... but the player refocused and went on to rip up trees.

I have no idea what has or hasn't been done with Andre....but my point is, i have seen a sea of change from close quarters, so its possible.

Any idea where Andre lives? And have you got any spare time between now and the 27th of may? 😊

I wonder whether the potential permanent signing of El Ghazi could do wonders for Green. They’re very similar in style, but El Ghazi just does it all better. Pace, dribbling, skills, longshots.

Maybe Green could learn from him?

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/05/2019 at 19:44, Dave J said:

I feel there is plenty of goodwill towards Andre - coupled with a lot of hope, but equally there is doubt as to his ability to become a really top footballer 

I have increasing doubts about him making it, and now we've got promoted I just don't see anything close to a PL player there. I hope I'm proven wrong but his last few appearances have been non existent. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Risso said:

He needs an entire season on loan at a decent Championship team.  Even someone ike Derby perhaps.

He needs to go to a lower Champ side or L1. He has to play every single game to learn how to believe in himself. He'd get nowhere near Derby's team.

Looks like someone who has won a competition at the moment. He's gone backwards from two years/18 months ago.

Edited by Tomaszk

Still very young and too early to write him off. Will be interesting to see him after he gets a full pre-season with Smith & co and then probably a season on loan to help his development.

• 1 month later...

No mention of him this preseason yet on here but I thought the ball he put in for Bjarnason was possibly the best cross I've seen him make. If he can do that regularly, he could be a real asset as his crossing and passing were his weakest areas last season.

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, lexicon said:

No mention of him this preseason yet on here but I thought the ball he put in for Bjarnason was possibly the best cross I've seen him make. If he can do that regularly, he could be a real asset as his crossing and passing were his weakest areas last season.

Contrast that to the shot he made a few minutes earlier. He clearly has the talent, bit without consistency he's missing the most vital trait of all.

The three years we have just spent in the Championship were a great opportunity for him to develop but unfortunately injuries have hampered him and he has never gotten a run of games.

I think there is a player in there but I do think he lacks confidence and I think possibly due to the injuries he has had he now seems to hold back and doesn't burst forward like he used to.

He needs games and if we sign another wide man he is unlikely to get many so he'd be one I'd look to loan out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I like Him but for a winger his crossing normally is very poor.

Sadly, neither he nor Bjarnason will have the opportunity to repeat this in the PL.

He needs to be playing on the left hand side cutting onto his right foot, that's the position that he mostly played for the u23s, and where he's looked his best for the first team, I see him more as a wide forward, than an actual winger. Presuming that twe only sign one more winger/wide forward, then we're probably going to need him this season as back up.

As it stands we've only got Jota and El Ghazi as wingers, even if we sign Trezeguet, that's only three wingers, all it would take is for two of them to get injured or suspended at the same time and we'd be short. So we can't really afford to let Green go on loan, unless we're bringing in another two wingers, which seems doubtful after Purslow's comments about 'two or three' more signings.

• Like 1

Would be looking at signing ollie watkins and offering green out on loan to brentford so he can develop because without sounding horrible, I cant see green doing anything now at villa. His chances were there for the last 3 seasons and those chances weren't taken, even with the end half of last season, he wasnt good enough for us then but we had limited options.

We now can get in players far better the same age who will still improve. It makes no sense to keep someone who is so far behind compared to the rest.

5 hours ago, Greenfly said:

Contrast that to the shot he made a few minutes earlier. He clearly has the talent, bit without consistency he's missing the most vital trait of all.

Consistency comes with experience, which comes with game time. A loan, as many have said, would probably be the best option for him. 

My issue with Green is that he simly seems to lack ability. His crossing has always been poor, but even if that was remedied, he still tends to pick up pace on the ball only to lose it cause he doesn't have the ability in his feet to make the right decisions or create.

Ironically I think having Green as a backup is a better thing for AVFC than it is for Green. If we still were in the championship I'd be inclined to give him a shot, but right now I'd rather see him go out on loan and replace him with higher quality. It's not that he isn't okey to have as a 4th option, cause I guess that's fine, but I don't think it's a good thing for his own development. If he ever is to get better he needs to play, and play lot. Just look at how much Callum Robinson got out of regular football. 

Â