André Green

sir_gary_cahill

I like the guy and think he could become a really good player for us for many years, and because of that I'd like him starting most games. 

On the other side of the coin, I can't help but feel like maybe a loan out to a Burton/Barnsley/Millwall type of team, or a league 1 club would do him the world of good. If he's going to be inconsistent and needs game time it might be best to get him out on loan to learn his trade.

The question is whether we can afford to allow him to go on loan for a season. He's already a big part of the squad now

I really really rate this kid.. but he was diabolical in that last game. He lost the ball almost every time he got it.. 

Was all down to his decision making.. when to run.. when to pass.. when to cross etc. Decision making will improve with game time. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thought he looked poor against Watford. Some awful delivery into the box and lost the ball at times when there was no need to. 

I'm not sure he's the guaranteed starter we want him to be at the moment. Problem is there is absolutely zero competition for him on that left wing. With Grealish out the only options are amavi and Thor and neither should be in that starting role 

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Thought he looked poor against Watford. Some awful delivery into the box and lost the ball at times when there was no need to. 

I'm not sure he's the guaranteed starter we want him to be at the moment. Problem is there is absolutely zero competition for him on that left wing. With Grealish out the only options are amavi and Thor and neither should be in that starting role 

He has to be allowed to make those mistakes though.  He's not going to iron them out in the PL2 and he is still 18.  We're basically saying an 18 year old isn't the finished article.  His potential is huge and I think he offers plenty already to justify his start.  I don't think any learning on the job is going to be the difference between us going up or not.  He won't be perfect but that's OK.  We've a better support staff around him now that he can be allowed the odd slip as it's a means to an end.

• Like 3

I wrote him off straight away but he's def shown that he has something. He seemed afraid to me to make a mistake against Watford. He should be allowed to play with freedom like Ashley Young was under MON. That's when creative players flourish. 

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Green should start ahead of Grealish in any case.  More direct, more threat.  He'll have off days - all players will, but particularly the younger ones - but he's genuinely exciting and a joy to watch at times.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Green should start ahead of Grealish in any case.  More direct, more threat.  He'll have off days - all players will, but particularly the younger ones - but he's genuinely exciting and a joy to watch at times.

Yeah on the left I'd have him over Grealish at the moment and he does have his moments. But I'm not sure he is going to do it regular enough for a team chasing automatic promotion and we've got no real competion for him.

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

He has to be allowed to make those mistakes though.  He's not going to iron them out in the PL2 and he is still 18.  We're basically saying an 18 year old isn't the finished article.  His potential is huge and I think he offers plenty already to justify his start.  I don't think any learning on the job is going to be the difference between us going up or not.  He won't be perfect but that's OK.  We've a better support staff around him now that he can be allowed the odd slip as it's a means to an end.

I think with our lack of creativity and goals that he could have a real effect on our promotion aims. 

He's not the finished article and he shouldn't be but I'm concerned he is going to be put under a lot of pressure and maybe no allowed to develop at a sensible pace by having to be our starting left winger every game. 

I'd have preferred having two strong wingers and green being the main competion starting some games and off the bench in others playing either side. 

That still might happen I just worry a 19 year old kid isn't going to be at that level we need week in week out for a 46 game season. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think with our lack of creativity and goals that he could have a real effect on our promotion aims. 

He's not the finished article and he shouldn't be but I'm concerned he is going to be put under a lot of pressure and maybe no allowed to develop at a sensible pace by having to be our starting left winger every game. 

I'd have preferred having two strong wingers and green being the main competion starting some games and off the bench in others playing either side. 

That still might happen I just worry a 19 year old kid isn't going to be at that level we need week in week out for a 46 game season. 

Just to clarify, I do not expect a 19 year old to start 46 games this season or anything like that.  I would have him as first choice all things being equal, but I would expect Barney, Jack & Adomah to be sharing the load too.  So in that sense the pressure is reduced.

I thought he was unlucky a couple of times last season in front of goal last season. I think once a shot goes in for him it's gonna be a big confidence booster for him. Maybe then we will see him really flourish! Decent player from what I have seen with the right attitude and that in itself goes a long way for a kid his age. I like him.

• Like 2

Green is a bit of a unit. There was a lot of talk last season about him being lightweight and whilst I didn't necessarily agree, he looks to have bulked up some and is now built like a young Matt Phillips. That's a player I would liken him to and I'm confident we can get the same level of performances out of him. 

'Tried and tested' in every position is a bit of a unicorn. At some point we are going to produce players who are worth taking that gamble on, particularly as when I did a mock up 18 the other day I couldn't even fit Adomah into it. We have the cover, let him roll.

I'll be surprised if he fails but above that I'll be shocked if he embarrasses himself. He might just become our brightest asset. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't see why it couldn't be. 

Well obviously his learning (read : mistakes) could be the difference between promotion or not.  I just don't think it would be.  I think he's plenty good enough, I think we're good enough as a squad to mitigate those mistakes and I think his learning would be done quick enough that by mid-season he'd be the huge asset in this division that many think he can be.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

Well obviously his learning (read : mistakes) could be the difference between promotion or not.  I just don't think it would be.  I think he's plenty good enough, I think we're good enough as a squad to mitigate those mistakes and I think his learning would be done quick enough that by mid-season he'd be the huge asset in this division that many think he can be.

Fair enough. I wish I shared your optimism!

• Like 1

Looking forward to watching him this season. Once we collapsed again in January, I watched much less of it, couldn't face it. Of the few games I did see, I didn't think much from him but he has raw materials, and most seem to think he's got something about him. 

Should be good fun. Have no fear Andre.

I have only been a Villa fan for a year so I only know 20-ish players, but Green is definitely my favorite Villa player. He is young, he is fast and I particularly like the rhythm he has when dribbling. 

I hope this season can be a great one for him. I expect 5 goals and 5 assists from him, if he can have regular play time.

• Like 1

I'm still fairly surprised when I see people putting him in their first choice eleven. I hope he comes good, but so far, for me, he's shown less than Marc Albrighton/ Andy Weimann showed at his age, and I'd probably compare him more to Delfouneso, in terms of ability and potential. He has the physique and the pace, but he's shown very little end product so far.

I await being pleasantly surprised!

Â