Getting older

villaguy

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

On of the things that I think first made me feel age is when I saw a building demolished that I had seen being built.

There's something odd about that, about remembering the building that was there before the building that was there before the building that's there now.

Showcase Cinema in Erdington for me. Saw it go up in the early 90's, saw it come down a few years back. 

I embrace life. We get one shot at, there will be ups and downs. Just try to make the most of it and when my time comes back i can look at say i didnt waste it. I want to give myself at least 8-10 score on my life when im on deaths door

• Like 1

At my work there is a jovial civil war between the "yoof" and the " coffin dodgers".  The yoof will often try to trick us with modern references and pop culture.  We retaliate with things from our youth.  

There is an old and obscure Monty Python sketch called "David Niven's Fridge". It's set at an Oscars award ceremony where Davis Niven is supposed to be hosting an award. Unfortunately he can't make it so he sends his fridge instead.  The ceremony continues as normal.  It's a wonderful piece of surreal humour.

A little while ago we got a new fridge.  The guy in charge of such matters sent an email around everyone.  He said an old colleague called Dave Niven had sadly passed away.  But he'd left us some money to buy something for everyone's benefit.  Therefore we'd purchased a new fridge.  I read the email and worked it out.  

But it got much better.......

Later that day my colleague called everyone together to say a few words about Dave Niven.  He gave a moving but entirely fictional biography of Dave.  It was entirely plausible.  He ended the speech with "Unfortunately David Niven can't be with us today.  But its the mark of the man that he's sent this fridge".  I could hardly contain myself but passed it off as emotional reminiscence.  

The following day the fridge had a small and tasteful plastic sign.  " David Niven's Fridge".

In today's politically correct world this will probably be classed as bullying or age discrimination.  But as I have got older I have realised that annoying those younger than you is damn good fun.  It's also fun to fall foul of their ribs.  Two (or three) generations united by a common goal.  

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Later that day my colleague called everyone together to say a few words about Dave Niven.  He gave a moving but entirely fictional biography of Dave.  

I believe Niven real autobiography was largely made up, or anecdotes nicked from other hollywood stars of the golden era.

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I randomly thought to myself trying to get away from VP last night, if I could have all the time back I've spend sitting in stationery traffic I'd live to 100 easily.

We go to the Lamb (Tamworth home ground) a bit now as we have free season tickets. 
The football is diabolical at the moment, but it’s amazing to walk out of the ground, get in the car 100m away and then be home within 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

One of the problems of getting older is the tendency of people to romanticise their youth, and expunge the times when it was truly bloody awful.

Bob Seger, Like A Rock - anyone?

Shakespeare's seven ages of man, is pretty accurate, especially the mewling and puking part, but I think senior school was pretty good and the first feelings of independence, were great.

Sighing like a furnace, is a predictable certainty, before you get used to rejection, and begin to understand that flattery and bribery will sometimes get you somewhere.

I was definitely full of oaths and jealous of honour, in the testosterone-driven years.

In the middle years, I think there is a lot to be said for the pride of being competent at your job, and I like to think I was full of wise saws, even if others usually disagreed.

Being wise enough to let go of so much which conformity forced upon you, is very liberating, but when it arrives, it definitely seems a bit late.

I'm definitely on the cusp of the age of the shrunken shank and the piping age of renewed childhood, but I think acceptance is the blessing of old age.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I randomly thought to myself trying to get away from VP last night, if I could have all the time back I've spend sitting in stationery traffic I'd live to 100 easily.

It was a bloody nightmare last night, worse than ever

Some proper waffling old bastards in here

spacer.png

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

One thing I have definitely found is that the older I get the quicker times goes

When you're 10, a year is 10% of your whole existence. By the time you're 50, it's just 2%. so when you're 50, 5 years feels like a single year did when you were 10.

The mad kid had 4 lights, the average is 2.5 lights The mediocre has 2 lights, the sign of genius is three lights. There's one light left, that's the one light. That's the science law.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, blandy said:

When you're 10, a year is 10% of your whole existence. By the time you're 50, it's just 2%. so when you're 50, 5 years feels like a single year did when you were 10.

The mad kid had 4 lights, the average is 2.5 lights The mediocre has 2 lights, the sign of genius is three lights. There's one light left, that's the one light. That's the science law.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Anyway, I think about the deaths of myself and my loved ones loads, like every day.  I wish I didn't but I just do.

I do also just sit there and wonder what the hell are we actually doing here and why do we submit 70% of our precious waking lives to work.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Anyway, I think about the deaths of myself and my loved ones loads, like every day.  I wish I didn't but I just do.

I do also just sit there and wonder what the hell are we actually doing here and why do we submit 70% of our precious waking lives to work.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I just wasted 30 seconds of my life reading THIS shit post. 

So y'know, swings and roundabouts. 

Plus, I've done the same back to you, so we're even. 

In fact, just by reading this sentence, you've probably been reading for more than 30 seconds, so I kinda win, which is good for me, I guess.

THAT said, it's taken me way longer to earn this "win" than is did for me to read your shitty post AND reply.. so I guess you kinda win.

Ah shit man, I'm in an infinite loop of cack - BECAUSE OF YOU.

Asshat. 

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Well if it makes you feel any better, I just wasted 30 seconds of my life reading THIS shit post. 

So y'know, swings and roundabouts. 

Plus, I've done the same back to you, so we're even. 

In fact, just by reading this sentence, you've probably been reading for more than 30 seconds, so I kinda win, which is good for me, I guess.

THAT said, it's taken me way longer to earn this "win" than is did for me to read your shitty post AND reply.. so I guess you kinda win.

Ah shit man, I'm in an infinite loop of cack - BECAUSE OF YOU.

Asshat. 

Boxer crab GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

51 minutes ago, blandy said:

Someone had that as their signature, may still have it but I only access VT by phone and that doesn't display signatures. Every time I read it, it made me smile. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Someone had that as their signature, may still have it but I only access VT by phone and that doesn't display signatures. Every time I read it, it made me smile. 

Someone who likes the Fall, perhaps

And as @bickster 's sig whines on about the harmless lettuce, and chrisp and Designer are more hi-brow, that pretty much leaves us two old folks. Is it yours?

• Like 1

I only think about age and time going by when I work our that if I have averaged 8 hours sleep every night then I would've spent 19 years of my life unconscious. 

Spooky 

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

Someone who likes the Fall, perhaps

And as @bickster 's sig whines on about the harmless lettuce, and chrisp and Designer are more hi-brow, that pretty much leaves us two old folks. Is it yours?

Not mine, is it yours?

Going to view on my tablet. 

Ha. What a pillock.

Edited by Seat68
Viewed on tablet
  • Haha 2

Â