Getting older

villaguy

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The first time I was made aware the Brit awards were taking place was in this thread.

Even then, when @sharkyvilla mentioned it I initially assumed he was talking in general, not that he literally watching at the time.

My last coherent memories of the Brits are Gerri Halliwell goosing Prince Charles whilst wearing 'that dress' Danbert Nobacon throwing a pint over two Jags Prescott and Jarvis Cocker getting on stage during Wacko Jacko's Earth song and doing a silly dance.

As @mjmooney says life seems to have gone onto the first bar of a fast forward remote in action 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I found having a kid made me very very aware of my age, was irrelevant to me before then, had my first at 35 and my 2nd will be at 37, I do the sums in my head, like when they'll get married, when I'll be a grandad etc and it, its all added an element of fear to it, not so much too old to run around the garden with them but stuff like seeing celebs with illness and dropping dead in their mid 40s and 50s, people like Sarah Harding now hits me

Touch wood I'm relatively healthy and so are my family, my 4 grandparents are all alive in their mid 80s, my grandads had different cancers for 12 years now and they've written him off more than once but he's still going 

Had mine at 36 and 38, (assuming I have a few years on you, I am in my 50's) the older they get the less you have the worries you mention funnily enough. They become your mate as well as your kids, its great, their perception and yours of age becomes irrelevant 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Xann said:

:) A luthier's course could end up saving you money?

Not so much that you'd be building your own guitars, more that you'd improve the ones you have.

I have actually thought about that. I'm in awe of people who modify their electric guitars - intonation setups, fret dressing, rewiring pickups, all that stuff. It would scare the shit out of me. I've never used a soldering iron in my life, and I'm totally convinced that I would only make things worse. Then again, I don't really see the need. I think the people that do it just enjoy the tinkering. It's the same with car people. My limit is putting petrol in the tank and air in the tyres. With guitars, it's changing strings. Anything more advanced, the car or the guitar goes to a professional. 

What does interest me is sound recording/engineering/mixing. I've looked at a few courses, but they tend to be heavily biased toward the EDM side of things, not my bag at all. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I have actually thought about that. I'm in awe of people who modify their electric guitars - intonation setups, fret dressing, rewiring pickups, all that stuff. It would scare the shit out of me.

Diminishing returns innit. You'd make giant steps in understanding at the start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Had mine at 36 and 38, (assuming I have a few years on you, I am in my 50's) the older they get the less you have the worries you mention funnily enough. They become your mate as well as your kids, its great, their perception and yours of age becomes irrelevant 

I hope I am still in a "fit, healthy" stage by the time my child becomes my mate - I'm 44 and my wife is 15 weeks pregnant (with our first),  I might be 45 by the time he/she is born! That's certainly got me thinking about my age recently! 

I look younger than I am ( I think having no children as helped with this 😅) but I think it's all about to change in the next few years 🙈. Keep telling myself age is just a number, but my body doesn't feel like that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Jarvis Cocker getting on stage during Wacko Jacko's Earth song and doing a silly dance.

He actually bared his arse I believe, well done that man.

Jarvis Cocker was detained by Jackson's bodyguards. Bob Mortimer (ex solicitor) confronted them and demanded his release.  At the same time Vic Reeves started a "Free Jarvis Cocker" picket with Neil Morissey and Martin Clunes.  

Just let that scenario sink in for a minute.   

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

I won't make a particularly great age, as discussed in the other thread (parents and both sets of grandparents all died relatively young - only 1 broke 70), and as the mental health thread can attest I'm not exactly in the greatest place either, and my health has been spiralling downwards recently, so yeah, I'll be clocking out in my 60s I suspect.

The thing that has started to weigh on my mind is, well... I'm reaching into my mid 30s soon and basically my life has achieved nothing. By this age my parents had been married for a decade and had 2 kids. My brother was married, settled in a decent job, etc. I've got none of that.

It makes me feel very despondant.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. i don't think you should feel bad about yourself because of your perceived lack of achievements. we all fight different battles in our lives. if you are battling poor mental and physical health then that is an achievement in itself. 

On of the things that I think first made me feel age is when I saw a building demolished that I had seen being built.

There's something odd about that, about remembering the building that was there before the building that was there before the building that's there now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

On of the things that I think first made me feel age is when I saw a building demolished that I had seen being built.

There's something odd about that, about remembering the building that was there before the building that was there before the building that's there now.

Birmingham Central Library, in my case. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sometimes that just makes you feel stupid rather than old. For example: making some bad choices about a garden office.

One thing I have definitely found is that the older I get the quicker times goes. If I look at time in decades then the time between 20 and 30 (where I had my first child, first house and second house, got married) then compared to how quick that seemed to go and the time between 30 and 40 (where I had my second child, moved into our third house) then 30-40 seemed to go much quicker. Then in what seems like the blink of an eye I am 2 years now away from being 50. 

I lost my dad when I was 28 (he was 60) and we were really close and I think it was then that I became more aware of time and how quick it all goes. My wife lost her mom when she was 32 and I was 38 (her mom was 55). I am now only 12 years away from how old my dad was and 7 away from how old my mother in law was when they died and I do think about that quite a lot and am a little wary of not getting too far ahead of myself when making long term plans as they never got to retire. 

Having said all the above I don't really feel any different now to how I did 20 years ago. I keep myself in relatively good shape and am probably as fit now as I was in my twenties. One huge advantage of getting older I have found is that I am nowhere near as self conscious. I'll happily be one of the first on the dance floor now at a family do or night out and have even song on karaoke something I would never have done years ago.  Giving less a shit of what people think of me has been one major positive with getting older. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I remember being out in some bar at 4am drinking away when I turned 40 … some good looking girl in her mid 20’s approached me as I kinda danced around to the live band playing , I thought to myself “I’ve still got it” and then she said to me , “not being rude , but aren’t you a bit old to be out at this time “

10 years on , I’d like to think if she met 50 year old me she would be impressed that I’m still dancing badly to bands in the wee hours of the morning and not dead.

About 5 years back I was in a club at the Arcadian and I had to go and stand outside as I was a bit wrecked. I was just standing there looking a bit spaced out when a very attractive girl in her 20's came over and i'm thinking "i've still got it". She looked at me with pity in her eyes and said - "are you ok, do you want me to get you a chair so you can sit down?"

:( 

• Haha 4

Â