Getting older

villaguy

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

I remember when I was in my late teens/early twenties, I would see and over hear colleagues mention in passing their ages, and it would often be something along the lines of “Well I’m 55 now and…no, wait, I’m 56…” before carrying on with what they were saying.

I used to wonder how they could get that wrong. To me it was like getting your own name wrong. Not being able to instantly and correctly confirm your age seemed quite bizarre to me.

Fast forward to my thirties and I found myself falling into the same trap of either getting ahead of myself and inadvertently rounding up a year or forgetting about time’s relentless march and thinking I’m a year younger than I actually am.

Was the same, now it's full Doc Brown and thinking what the year is and the month and working it out. It was as you said, unfathomable when I was young not to instantly know my age. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Was the same, now it's full Doc Brown and thinking what the year is and the month and working it out. It was as you said, unfathomable when I was young not to instantly know my age. 

I normally ask the wife, she knows these things.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I'm 39 this year and it's been years since I was able to say my age on demand, always have to do the maths on it. I think it's just a case that when you get out of your 20s your age just doesn't really matter any more in a day to day context

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think that's because when you're a kid, a year's difference is quite a big thing. I can remember that when I was (say) nine, I looked down on eight year olds as mere infants, but ten year olds were scarily sophisticated. But 56 or 57? Potayto, potahto. 

• Like 1

I have always cycled, when I was younger, it was finish my ride, get in the house, chill out for a bit and get on with life. Now when I cycle, I feel less fit, the aching bones are setting in, an I need a rest till next the day to recover. I always think at what age does the change happen, from exercise making you fit to just struggling to keep fit.

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I have always cycled, when I was younger, it was finish my ride, get in the house, chill out for a bit and get on with life. Now when I cycle, I feel less fit, the aching bones are setting in, an I need a rest till next the day to recover. I always think at what age does the change happen, from exercise making you fit to just struggling to keep fit.

How old are you?

Im hitting 40 this year and this is the thing thats gonna get me the worst when i get older 

I'd be interested to know how getting older affects people's sex drive. 

Do you slow down, "go off it" or is the lack of action down to your partner? 

Would you rather do the gardening than Dhutwu? 

Pretty much an over 50's question I suppose. 

Personally I'm still a five times a week type. 

Mostly. 

If I'm lucky. 

And not too tired 😉

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

How old are you?

Im hitting 40 this year and this is the thing thats gonna get me the worst when i get older 

47 this year. I have always been quite active fitness wise since I was a kid, but probably noticed over the last 2 years. I now know how the professionals feel when they get older. Joints mate all about the joints. Spent  a couple of days in the garden, laid 100 square metres turf and feel like I have run a 26 miler.

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Mostly. 

If I'm lucky. 

And not too tired 😉

My wife's libido is nil. It doesn't exist. It's been that way pretty much forever. God knows how we have a child. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Mostly. 

If I'm lucky. 

And not too tired 😉

I'm not 50 just yet so would be a 5+ times a week man too. Just not with the Mrs 😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Mostly. 

If I'm lucky. 

And not too tired 😉

Have to be honest, mine's gone to shite the last few years. Usually knackered and just not up for it

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

That's me after a short walk on a moderate incline these days 😳

Yep, scarring was the issue.

You get a lit cut, it heals as a little scar. The scar is less elastic and the next time you have an opportunity to play, it cuts or splits a little more. Which causes a larger or a second scar.

Fast forward 12 months and your Boris Johnson looks like Freddie Krueger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, scarring was the issue.

You get a lit cut, it heals as a little scar. The scar is less elastic and the next time you have an opportunity to play, it cuts or splits a little more. Which causes a larger or a second scar.

Fast forward 12 months and your Boris Johnson looks like Freddie Krueger.

Perma turtleneck according to my wife

Â