Getting older

villaguy

On 09/02/2022 at 15:59, markavfc40 said:

One thing I have definitely found is that the older I get the quicker times goes. If I look at time in decades then the time between 20 and 30 (where I had my first child, first house and second house, got married) then compared to how quick that seemed to go and the time between 30 and 40 (where I had my second child, moved into our third house) then 30-40 seemed to go much quicker. Then in what seems like the blink of an eye I am 2 years now away from being 50. 

I asked my mom once if time went really fast for her, and she said at 80 it's just crazy with whole seasons flying by like months.

She said 'When you are 4, a year is a quarter of your life, and when you are 25, a year is a 25th. So perhaps the passing of time is just accelerated relative to the time you have been here'

Smart one my ma :)

Edit: same thing said earlier up post, serves me right for quoting and replying without reading the whole thing. (must be getting old...).

Edited by Mister_a
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Shall we start waffling about our final salary pension schemes, retirement at 60 and  mortgage free house ownership?

🥷

What's getting old, for me, is when old timers waffle on about this generation this and that. Come on now. In the 70's and 80's even, you could entirely pay off a family home with the sum total of two years wages from the average annual income. These days you wouldn't even see a deposit for a home. The financial engineers that are the world bankers have pick pocketed the masses, and having a bad credit score makes you a lesser person apparently. That's what's getting old in my neck of the woods.

Edited by A'Villan

17 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

What's getting old, for me, is when old timers waffle on about this generation this and that. Come on now. In the 70's and 80's even, you could entirely pay off a family home with the sum total of two years wages from the average annual income. These days you wouldn't even see a deposit for a home. The financial engineers that are the world bankers have pick pocketed the masses, and having a bad credit score makes you a lesser person apparently. That's what's getting old in my neck of the woods.

Worth keeping in mind that in the 70s, 74 as an example interest rates were at 14% and now they are 0.5%. Income tax was also higher. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Shall we start waffling about our final salary pension schemes, retirement at 60 and  mortgage free house ownership?

🥷

<cough> Three ticks. 

#sorrynotsorry 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, A&#x27;Villan said:

In the 70's and 80's even, you could entirely pay off a family home with the sum total of two years wages from the average annual income. These days you wouldn't even see a deposit for a home.

It's swings and roundabouts.  My first "luxury apartment" was 2 years of my average salary. My first "executive 3 bed home" was only 3 times my salary.  From buying my first home to paying off the mortgage on my current house took 10 yeas, even with double figure interest rates.  

But other things were much more expensive than they are now.  Cars were expensive and rubbish in comparison to today.  Washers and TV were so expensive  that some people rented them.  Flights were so expensive that people wore their best clothes and your tickets were delivered in a free leather wallet.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

It's swings and roundabouts.  My first "luxury apartment" was 2 years of my average salary. My first "executive 3 bed home" was only 3 times my salary.  From buying my first home to paying off the mortgage on my current house took 10 yeas, even with double figure interest rates.  

But other things were much more expensive than they are now.  Cars were expensive and rubbish in comparison to today.  Washers and TV were so expensive  that some people rented them.  Flights were so expensive that people wore their best clothes and your tickets were delivered in a free leather wallet.  

A large colour television could be purchased outright for $300 in the 60's.

The average flight on an airplane in the 60's was $40.

The average cost of a new car in the 1960s was just under $3,000. One third of an average annual income.

I don't know @Mandy Lifeboats

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

All vile get back late from the match because all vile live in the shires

Hide contents

And also don’t drink in town

Reveal hidden contents

Mate

Quite a few shires between town and me.

I am their ideal Viler.

Mate 

Edited by Sid4ever
Added context
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, A'Villan said:

A large colour television could be purchased outright for $300 in the 60's.

The average flight on an airplane in the 60's was $40.

The average cost of a new car in the 1960s was just under $3,000. One third of an average annual income.

I don't know @Mandy Lifeboats

In 1970 the average UK salary was around £1,200.  

A basic Mini cost £600. 

The average house was £5,000.  

5 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

🥷

I'll shout the wife, that sounds like her... 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

You'll claim your state and live until 400 as well, ya bastard

Fact of the day. If global average life expectancy were to continue to increase at the current rate,  then the first person to live to be 200 is already alive today! 

Spoiler

Unfortunately, not actually true on a practical level. Once you get to 100, your chances of living to be 120 are no better now than they were a century ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Turning 51 next week. My body has good and bad days. I need to do some leg training. I catch myself groaning when I stand up. I don't want to be that guy. I want to spring right up.

I put a piece of my own poo in an envelope and mailed it to someone recently. (colon cancer screening)

All clear. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I put a piece of my own poo in an envelope and mailed it to someone recently. (colon cancer screening)

All clear. 

Surely in a tube not just loose in the envelope.

And did you use the cling film or ice cream tub method to collect the sample?

Â