VillaGoMarching

The 'race for the champions league spots' is a losers league that has been invented by Sky. No player will look back on their career and value 3rd and 4th place finishes over actual medals for winning competitions. 'Poch' has really just consolidated the perception that Spurs aren't at all a 'top' side and are not a place to go to win things.

If any of their best players have genuine ambition they will leave that club because they will not win a single thing there.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The 'race for the champions league spots' is a losers league that has been invented by Sky. No player will look back on their career and value 3rd and 4th place finishes over actual medals for winning competitions. 'Poch' has really just consolidated the perception that Spurs aren't at all a 'top' side and are not a place to go to win things.

Yep. The day teams celebrated finishing 4th was another nail in the coffin for football. I think Roy Keane once said he found it embarrassing that players celebrated that. 

• Like 1

It’s not his fault that the top four is higher priority than the FA cup, I would imagine every club in the top flight would choose champions league money over an FA cup win, sadly. 

But to come out seemingly with this mentality of “Oh measuring a club’s success by the trophies they win (or don’t), that’s so passé” is crazy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, penguin said:

https://www.football365.com/news/pochettino-dismisses-trophies-they-only-build-your-ego

Now there’s a legacy for the players to tell the kids and for the supporters to get excited about. 

“Did you ever win the FA Cup, Dad”

”No but we finished in the Top Four 5 times and made the quarters of the Champions League”

”Wow!”

The new Arsenal. Poch has become Wenger.

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

is that attendance correct? Under 30,000 for tonight's game 

Yep and Watford would have taken a few given how close Wembley is.

7 points off the top of the premier league table and can't even get 30k!

Edited by Brumstopdogs

12 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Yep and Watford would have taken a few given how close Wembley is.

7 points off the top of the premier league table and can't even get 30k!

..... on a bitterly cold night, midweek.

Out of curiosity - how do we do on those occasions? (cold night midweek, that is - not 7 points off the top of the premier league table)

Edited by ozvillafan

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Out of curiosity - how do we do on those occasions? (cold night midweek, that is - not 7 points off the top of the premier league table)

Well we regularly got above 30k for midweek games in jan/feb last season.

It's hard to have an exact comparison as our coldest game was postponed because of the snow.

7 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

The cold weather didn't seem to put off Liverpool (53k), Arsenal (60k), Man U (75k) & Newcastle (51k).:rolleyes:

• Like 1

id be interested to know what spurs ST holders opinion of wembley is, mine isn't positive...its big but its not a nice stadium, "northern" me will say its way too expensive and the developments around the area that they use to almost justify sticking the stadium in massive shit hole is now out of control and detrimental, you come down wembley way and you see the posh flats and tower cranes rather than being hit by the stadium

i can also tell you now almost matter of factly its not the cold thats stopping people attending its the utter shit transport links, if it was 90k people leaving a game at 10pm half of them would still be stood outside the tube at 11pm, its awful

not sure if they tried to tie in the new stadium tickets with going to wembley but i would have probably taken the year off too and i definitely wouldn't be fussed about mid week games there

I've knocked midweek villa games on the head because the infrastructure is so shit and thats coming from work in Malvern, that can be a 2 hour+ journey if you timed it wrong

• 2 weeks later...

Heartbreaking stuff.

TOTTENHAM CONFIRM THERE WILL BE NO HALF-TIME VIP CHEESE BAR AT NEW WHITE HART LANE STADIUM, NOR WERE THERE EVER ANY PLANS TO INSTALL ONE

In a frankly gutting turn of events, Tottenham have announced that their new White Hart Lane stadium will not boast a special VIP cheese bar.

What’s more, the club have sworn that there were never any plans to install such a room at any point during the conceptualisation of the designs.

The Guardian reported in 2017 that the new Lane would feature several posh things, including one-way glass panels lining the tunnel to allow approximately 100 paying fans the chance to observe Spurs players as if they were locked inside some kind of nightmarish ‘human enclosure’ with enjoying a fine-dining experience in return for an entirely reasonable £30,000 a season.

We were also promised a “cheese room” for supporters/clients to select their own “specially sourced half-time cheeses” at half-time during matches.

However, after attempting to follow-up on what progress has been made in the subsequent two years, the Guardian have been informed by Spurs that there is no cheese room at their new stadium, nor were there ever any plans to install one.

Has the ridicule prompted a U-turn? No, insist Spurs. They were never going to have the cheese room in the first place – a story that has more holes in it than a full-flavoured emmental.

Unbelievable. It’s always the real, cheese connoisseur football fans who end up paying the biggest price.

Guess we’ll just have to continue sneaking our matchday wheel of gourmet Brie de Meaux through the turnstiles like common peasants.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/tottenham_hotspur/281651/tottenham-confirm-there-will-be-no-half-time-vip-cheese-bar-at-new-white-hart-lane-stadium-nor-were-there-ever-any-plans-to-install-one.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Spurs won in the Champions League tonight.

We lost in division 2.

My whole life growing up we were better than them. They were floating around midtable when we were winning cups and finishing usually top 8.

What a shame.

Â