VillaGoMarching

20 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Levi holding them back, no where near enough investment in the squad, so naturally they've gone backwards. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I've never liked Spurs, hate London clubs in general, happy to see them struggle. If their manager and better players had any sense they 'd be out of there, the club is going nowhere and they're leaving a lot of money on the table.

I think you're just biased.  They're making their best ever Premier League start and still look a threat for any team, even though Kane isn't firing on all cylinders yet.  I don't see how the club is "going nowhere" either?  It's well run and generally recruits sensibly, also playing youth.  Nowhere near the pressure on the team as per, say, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea or even Liverpool.  It's pretty much a perfect club to be at - unless you're solely interested in just having an even more ridiculous pay day in which case, sure, go elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think you're just biased.  They're making their best ever Premier League start and still look a threat for any team, even though Kane isn't firing on all cylinders yet.  I don't see how the club is "going nowhere" either?  It's well run and generally recruits sensibly, also playing youth.  Nowhere near the pressure on the team as per, say, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea or even Liverpool.  It's pretty much a perfect club to be at - unless you're solely interested in just having an even more ridiculous pay day in which case, sure, go elsewhere.

Or if you’re interested in actually winning something. Which I think might be what Dr P is alluding to re. holding them back. 

(And I like spurs)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The fans would expect to build on their 'success' and actually win things/ be a more legitimate title challenger. On current trajectory all they will be is a potential top four side, I can see how that would be very frustrating for some of their fans. 

It's hardly the 'perfect' club to be at for a player, many of them will want to win trophies, not gonna happen there and hence key ambitions will not be fulfilled and like it or not, money does matter and I'm sure the better players there will be questioning why they are earning so 'little' compared to other players at their level. At the end of the day, Spurs are just a stepping stone club.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

i think the "going nowhere" can be replaced with everything they mocked wenger's arsenal for, they arent a nothing team but at the same time they have this illusion of competing thanks to the media trying to hype up the PL, 6 teams can win it nonsense, liverpool can win it if man city slip up, add to that spurs strange aversion to turning up in the CL and they haven't won a cup in 10 years now

replace going nowhere with the question what do they actually do?

at least arsenal won the FA cup

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Or if you’re interested in actually winning something. Which I think might be what Dr P is alluding to re. holding them back. 

(And I like spurs)

You're basically looking at Man City then in England.  No-one else has winning something nailed on at all - Spurs just as likely as Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd.

So, sure, they might go to Man City to sit on the bench, earn more money and claim that they won something.  The height of ambition, after all.

Edited by bobzy

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The fans would expect to build on their 'success' and actually win things/ be a more legitimate title challenger. On current trajectory all they will be is a potential top four side, I can see how that would be very frustrating for some of their fans. 

It's hardly the 'perfect' club to be at for a player, many of them will want to win trophies, not gonna happen there and hence key ambitions will not be fulfilled and like it or not, money does matter and I'm sure the better players there will be questioning why they are earning so 'little' compared to other players at their level. 

Doesn't this all sound ridiculous to you?

I mean, there are basically **** all clubs who build on things to win the Premier League.  All that any team can realistically aim for is to get into the CL and compete on the trophy front - tick and tick for Spurs.

I think they're doing well and long may it continue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You're basically looking at Man City then in England.  No-one else has winning something nailed on at all - Spurs just as likely as Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd.

So, sure, they might go to Man City to sit on the bench, earn more money and claim that they won something.  The height of ambition, after all.

Man Utd have won the FA cup in the last couple of years. Chelsea won the league a couple of years ago. Liverpool reaches the champions league final. 

This has been spurs’ best few years for a while and they have no trophies to show for it. Arsenal have supposedly been in the mire for a while and have a couple of recent FA cups to show for it.

Just now, bobzy said:

Doesn't this all sound ridiculous to you?

I mean, there are basically **** all clubs who build on things to win the Premier League.  All that any team can realistically aim for is to get into the CL and compete on the trophy front - tick and tick for Spurs.

I think they're doing well and long may it continue.

Nope, only thing that sounds ridiculous are your posts. Players like Kane, Erickson and Alderweireld could play at the very elite clubs in world football, win things and earn a lot more money. It's a matter of time. Spurs currently and for the foreseeable future will not match the ambitions of these sorts of players. Their talents deserve better.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Why narrow it to England. A player like Kane would, for instance, walk into the Real Madrid first team.

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Why narrow it to England. A player like Kane would, for instance, walk into the Real Madrid first team.

OK - let's go Europe wide.

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Juventus
Man City
PSG

Probably the only clubs who could as close as possible guarantee winning something in a season.  I don't think Kane, Eriksen or Alderweireld walk into any of those sides.  Kane probably the closest to be a certain starter, but can't really see him uprooting from his boyhood club whilst they're still on the up (which I called before the season started when people were banging on about Kane and Eriksen leaving).

Maybe Celtic count too?  Maybe they should all go to Celtic so they can say they've "won something".

Edited by bobzy

Just now, bobzy said:

OK - let's go Europe wide.

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Juventus
Man City
PSG

Probably the only clubs who could as close as possible guarantee winning something in a season.  I don't think Kane, Eriksen or Alderweireld walk into any of those sides.  Kane probably the closest to be a certain starter, but can't really see him uprooting from his boyhood club whilst they're still on the up (which I called before the season started when people were banging on about Kane and Eriksen leaving).

Maybe Celtic count too?  Maybe they should all go to Celtic so they can say they've "won something".

Just wrong, Kane is much better than Benzema, he'd also get into the Bayern and PSG first teams, he's better than Canvani and Lewandoski. Alderweireld gets into almost all of those sides apart from Juve and maybe Madrid (based on politics). Eriksen gets into the Munich, Juve and PSG first teams.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just wrong, Kane is much better than Benzema, he'd also get into the Bayern and PSG first teams, he's better than Canvani and Lewandoski. Alderweireld gets into almost all of those sides apart from Juve and maybe Madrid (based on politics). Eriksen gets into the Munich, Juve and PSG first teams.

I mean, all of this is on paper but Kane isn't significantly better than Benzema, Cavani or Lewandowski - and certainly not to the extent that any of these clubs would pay £150m or so to get him.  Likewise Eriksen, just not enough of a star for those sides to warrant paying the amount Spurs would want for him to go there.  Potentially Alderweireld would be worth an outlay, but I don't really know the defences too well.

There's a reason all of them have performed well for Spurs for longer than 2 seasons, yet are still at Spurs.

18 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Man Utd have won the FA cup in the last couple of years. Chelsea won the league a couple of years ago. Liverpool reaches the champions league final. 

This has been spurs’ best few years for a while and they have no trophies to show for it. Arsenal have supposedly been in the mire for a while and have a couple of recent FA cups to show for it.

So you believe that Arsenal and Man Utd are much better placed to challenge for trophies than Spurs?

Interesting.

Edited by bobzy

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

So you believe that Arsenal and Man Utd are much better placed to challenge for trophies than Spurs?

Interesting.

I’m saying that during these recent years of spurs being a “force”, they have no trophies to show for it. The others have, despite being in relative turmoil. 

Do I think Spurs have more chance of winning a trophy than say Arsenal or Man Utd this season? Maybe. Not massively more so than recent years. I will not be surprised in the slightest if the spurs trophy cabinet has no further additions by the end of the season.

But they can take solace in the knowledge that they’re “a perfect club”.

my thoughts on Kane

footballing wise i think he's good enough, he's certainly a top 5 striker in world football so in terms of quality he ticks the box

the problem is spurs will want north of £100m for him, those kind of signings (outside of the PL - bar maybe pogba) rely on global marketability and despite being england captain i dont think he's doing anything special on that front, he's not the face of nike or beats or pepsi or anything like that, is he going to promote the club brand globally in the same way that neymar does? the answer is no

so then you're saying you pay for his age and the longevity of his career, he does tick that box he's 25, you'll get 8/9 years out of him and in his prime, those other strikers like cavani (31) lewandowski (30) benzema (30) i'll add suarez (31) higuain (30) dzeko (32) mandzukic (32) aguero (30) they're going to start to decline

then you look at who else there is! icardi i think is an interesting possibly cheaper alternative to him, dybala i think will a bigger global superstar but he's not the goalscorer kane is, gabriel jesus maybe in the future if he decides to leave city, lukaku wont get a move that big, neither will immobile, morata etc

there are 4 or 5 of the biggest clubs in world football that will soon be in the market for a new striker and there are only 2 maybe 3 players of the right ability and age to make that big move, kane is definitely one of them

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If I was Poch I would be putting my name forward for the Real Madrid job. Spurs are going to be stuck in limbo a bit for a few years now. Can't see them winning much whilst trying to pay off the new stadium. 

I'd be hugely surprised if his name wasn't in the running, whether he's put himself forward or otherwise.

Rumours on Twitter earlier that Roberto Martinez was in the running! :D 

Â