Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I posted my curved ultra wide 50" monitor on here when I got it last year, it's basically 3 screens in one. Going back to the office occasionally and working from a laptop and 23" monitor is horrendous, I get nothing done

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

nah these days I literally have 3 or 4 cans on a Friday night and that is it, I don't ever feel like having any more than that, it isn't the case where I am struggling to stop after them few drinks, I just don't want any more.

I went the pub with a lad from work and I just couldn't stop myself last night, its the first time I've been properly pissed in months, like I say, it was a bit of a blip and I should have known better but I'm not beating myself up about it, it doesn't happen very often these days and won't happen again for a good long time 

It's up to you at the end of the day, but this post seems quite at odds with what you wrote last night, which was 'I'm one step away from being a full blown alcoholic'. I'm struggling to reconcile these posts. I 'literally have 3 or 4 cans on a Friday night' (and Saturday night too :)) and while it might not be as healthy as just quitting drinking, I am not at all 'one step away from being a full blown alcoholic'. Lots of people have a small-to-moderate amount to drink at the weekend, that's nothing special at all, but you were clearly worried about something much more significant than that last night.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

nah these days I literally have 3 or 4 cans on a Friday night and that is it, I don't ever feel like having any more than that, it isn't the case where I am struggling to stop after them few drinks, I just don't want any more.

I went the pub with a lad from work and I just couldn't stop myself last night, its the first time I've been properly pissed in months, like I say, it was a bit of a blip and I should have known better but I'm not beating myself up about it, it doesn't happen very often these days and won't happen again for a good long time 

If you’re drinking for the sake of drinking, or just because it’s the weekend then you need to have a word with yourself. It seems like there’s an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

On 20/10/2021 at 03:47, lapal_fan said:

I was going to a funeral yesterday and was rushing around work trying to tie up a few loose ends about tree planting.. yep. 

Just put my out of office on and I get an email from microsoft telling me I need to change my password as it expires today.  Now I've been getting emails about changing my log in for about 9 weeks now and I'm not **** doing it because I only have like... 4,000 passwords and I've nearly run out of using them.

So I click this thing in a hurry, put in my details and it takes me to a page from my company essentially saying "HA HA!! WE FOOLED YOU, THIS WASN'T REAL AND YOU COULDA GOT HACKED BRO!!! AHAHHAHAHAHAHA DORK"

So now I'm on some "simpleton" list because I was only half looking, whilst acknowledging that I've had several "change your damn password, you prick" emails for weeks. 

**** thing. 

Are you sure that's the reason you're on the simpleton list?😉

'Friends' the American sitcom. It was rubbish, an how, if watched, you could ever watch again on the endless repeats is beyond me. An if you wanna get detailed, how the hell could they ever afford to rent, which was probably a million pound apartment in New York with the half jobs they had. I believe it ended because they were so far up there own arses, they all wanted a huge pay rises when they were already earning an obscene amount of money per episode. But apparently, it was the best time of there lives, I bet it was!!

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

'Friends' the American sitcom. It was rubbish, an how, if watched, you could ever watch again on the endless repeats is beyond me. An if you wanna get detailed, how the hell could they ever afford to rent, which was probably a million pound apartment in New York with the half jobs they had. I believe it ended because they were so far up there own arses, they all wanted a huge pay rises when they were already earning an obscene amount of money per episode. But apparently, it was the best time of there lives, I bet it was!!

Rent control. There was an entire episode dedicated to how they could afford it. 

53 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Rent control. There was an entire episode dedicated to how they could afford it. 

Didn't Ross and Monica's aunt leave them the apartment?

The Chandler is well paid for whatever he does (running joke) and Ross is a respected Dino guy at a college and rents that place across the way.

• Like 1

In the show, Monica is paying $200/month for the apartment, because the rent was stablised when her grandmother was living there in the 1940s. Today, a similarly sized apartment in a similar location would be rented for somewhere between $4000 and $6000/month apparently.

(While this explanation may be somewhat plausible, it's not clear how they could afford to live in New York doing mostly part time or menial work. Only Ross (who never lived in the main apartment) and Chandler actually had full time professional jobs for most of the series)

• Like 2

Having to wear a shirt and tie to work today because I've got a ten minute meeting in the city centre to explain to two hotel managers how freephones work. Hate wearing a shirt and tie

Bonus though, the meeting is yards from Probe Records and this opportunity will not be missed, though my appearance midweek in a shirt and tie WILL be mocked, it's only happened once before when I was summoned to court at short notice and the piss was mercilessly ripped. It wouldnt be Probe if this didn't happen though

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

my brother must have seen every episode 10+ times, my ex could quite happily spend all day saturday and sunday watching it on comedy central, not even in order, they do like top 10 days where they rank 10 episodes out of sequence

i saw something a long time ago, sure it was presented by Idris Elba and he said something about friends being terrible for diversity and now i cant unsee it, the only real character from the main cast who was black was the woman who dated both ross and joey in the later series (charlie?)

super enhanced deluxe anniversary edition remaster box sets of old albums

the beatles, or probably their record label have released another version of let it be, this time with 57 odd tracks on it, theres a £230 CD version of it on amazon, they've done for the 50th anniversary for 2 or 3 of their albums now

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

my brother must have seen every episode 10+ times, my ex could quite happily spend all day saturday and sunday watching it on comedy central, not even in order, they do like top 10 days where they rank 10 episodes out of sequence

i saw something a long time ago, sure it was presented by Idris Elba and he said something about friends being terrible for diversity and now i cant unsee it, the only real character from the main cast who was black was the woman who dated both ross and joey in the later series (charlie?)

I am not an apologist for the show, I was a fan and it's a very very white show. That said at the time you could pick almost any mainstream sitcom on any of the major networks and the same accusation could be levelled. Seinfeld, King of Queens, Will and Grace, Frasier, 3rd Rock. Over time things changed but Friends shouldn't be singled out when it was basically just white America having issues. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Friends is fantastic tbh - I don’t “watch it” anymore, but if I’m having tea in front of the telly, I’d absolutely happily shove Friends on.

You’re completely right with the lack of diversity. It also has a LOT of jokes that just couldn’t be made anymore - most with sexist connotations. That’s all a sign of the times, though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Friends is fantastic tbh - I don’t “watch it” anymore, but if I’m having tea in front of the telly, I’d absolutely happily shove Friends on.

You’re completely right with the lack of diversity. It also has a LOT of jokes that just couldn’t be made anymore - most with sexist connotations. That’s all a sign of the times, though.

one always jumps out at me straight away, rachel's baby shower someone says to her that she will need to change its nappy several times a day and she says "what are we feeding it, Indian food" that one stuck with me and probably not being accepted any more

as you can tell i have also watched a lot of friends

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

In the show, Monica is paying $200/month for the apartment, because the rent was stablised when her grandmother was living there in the 1940s. Today, a similarly sized apartment in a similar location would be rented for somewhere between $4000 and $6000/month apparently.

(While this explanation may be somewhat plausible, it's not clear how they could afford to live in New York doing mostly part time or menial work. Only Ross (who never lived in the main apartment) and Chandler actually had full time professional jobs for most of the series)

I read something once about sitcoms always showing characters in a far more well off position than is actually plausible.

Pretty much all of them have their characters living in nicer houses and a better lifestyle than is realistic.

Frank Grimes in the Simpsons takes the piss out of it I think

Â