Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

super enhanced deluxe anniversary edition remaster box sets of old albums

the beatles, or probably their record label have released another version of let it be, this time with 57 odd tracks on it, theres a £230 CD version of it on amazon, they've done for the 50th anniversary for 2 or 3 of their albums now

I've scoffed at this myself. I have all the regular Beatles albums, plus several bootlegs, and although I wouldn't be averse to owing the super deluxe box sets, I'm not being suckered into paying that, no sir. I am not a gullible consumer. I have free will and common sense. 

Then I remember my Bob Dylan collection.  😳

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

one always jumps out at me straight away, rachel's baby shower someone says to her that she will need to change its nappy several times a day and she says "what are we feeding it, Indian food" that one stuck with me and probably not being accepted any more

as you can tell i have also watched a lot of friends

Seinfeld is the same. I'm rewatching it at the moment (and it's brilliant by the way), but they've just had a whole episode about a woman with a chinese sounding name and you really wouldn't get away with a lot of the jokes these days

Just now, mjmooney said:

I've scoffed at this myself. I have all the regular Beatles albums, plus several bootlegs, and although I wouldn't be averse to owing the super deluxe box sets, I'm not being suckered into paying that, no sir. I am not a gullible consumer. I have free will and common sense. 

Then I remember my Bob Dylan collection.  😳

my mates dad is a dylan obsessive, I've had to post him a German music magazine that came with an exclusive cd where he featured on a song just so he can complete his collection, 20 years ago when we were at school it was insured for a 5 figure sum, they also go on european and american holidays based around his tours, taking in 2 or 3 nights in different cities, its all a bit mad to me

the beatles though from what ive seen with the luxury of spotify theres no actual new songs, there's new recordings, new mixes etc but no gem in there, im assuming that well is dry, so i've got zero interest in it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

my mates dad is a dylan obsessive, I've had to post him a German music magazine that came with an exclusive cd where he featured on a song just so he can complete his collection, 20 years ago when we were at school it was insured for a 5 figure sum, they also go on european and american holidays based around his tours, taking in 2 or 3 nights in different cities, its all a bit mad to me

I'm not that bad. To be fair the Dylan official bootleg series does usually have a lot of good unreleased stuff on it (often better than the originally released albums). And it pleases me to see them on the shelf. But this really belongs in the VT Music thread. 

IMG20211022105419.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

How did Frasier afford that sweet sweet sweet apartment and high brow hobbies and art and such....he was a local radio host for a few hours a day.

He was a noted Psychiatrist prior to radio as was his mother. Suspect that brought in a lot of money prior to radio. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

He was a noted Psychiatrist prior to radio as was his mother. Suspect that brought in a lot of money prior to radio. 

Plus you have the whole "privately educated" thing and the vibe they all give off (apart from Marty) is high brow living.

Frasier even being questioned about wealth is quite surprising to me - it's kinda a given. 

I think he only does the radio thing because he wants to, not because he needs the money. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Plus you have the whole "privately educated" thing and the vibe they all give off (apart from Marty) is high brow living.

Frasier even being questioned about wealth is quite surprising to me - it's kinda a given. 

I think he only does the radio thing because he wants to, not because he needs the money. 

He'd have to a be a millionaire.  He ain't got that kind of bread. He's got a good job but not that good...and he has a live in helper

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He'd have to a be a millionaire.  He ain't got that kind of bread. He's got a good job but not that good...and he has a live in helper

His Dad does, the live in helper is Marty's physical therapist so as he was retired out of the police due to being injured in the line of duty, potentially this is part of his healthcare. 

If we’re really discussing the plausibility of comedy shows, it’s very difficult to see how Laurel & Hardy were just friends when we regularly see them in the same bed.

Sodomy not decriminalised in the U.S. until 1955.

Disgusting.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

If we’re really discussing the plausibility of comedy shows, it’s very difficult to see how Laurel & Hardy were just friends when we regularly see them in the same bed.

Disgusting.

spacer.png

Not to mention these two:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

Not to mention these two:

spacer.png

I started off with those two, but the earliest bed scene I could find was 1968 and the law was changed here in ‘67.

So I thought there’s bound to be some smart arse that will know that. So I googled men in bed illegal to make sure I got a good example.

Got to go, HR are ringing.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Disgusting.

spacer.png

Looks like Stan is performing his party trick in the photo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I read something once about sitcoms always showing characters in a far more well off position than is actually plausible.

Pretty much all of them have their characters living in nicer houses and a better lifestyle than is realistic.

Frank Grimes in the Simpsons takes the piss out of it I think

Ahh the man who lived above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley... 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I read something once about sitcoms always showing characters in a far more well off position than is actually plausible.

Pretty much all of them have their characters living in nicer houses and a better lifestyle than is realistic.

Frank Grimes in the Simpsons takes the piss out of it I think

Quite enjoy the way they did it with Barney in How I Met Your Mother :D 

12 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

On a kinda friends theme , just watched an episode of Quantum Leap and Jennifer Aniston is in it , always assumed she just started with friends 

Monica/Courtney Cox is the girl Bruce Springsteen pulls from the "audience" in the Dancing in the Dark video 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

There are 2 laws about rent in NYC. Rent controlled is very different from rent stabilized. Rent control is virtually done as no new apartments have been added for years or will be. I believe the lease has to have originated sometime in the 1970's and yes, the rent is very far below market value. Just like in Friends, the apartment can be "passed on" however the recipient must be on the lease before the original leasee leaves or dies. For example, you rent an apartment which is rent controlled and then have a child. You put the name of the child on the lease when you renew (every 12 or 24 months.) The landlord has to accept this and if the apartment is rent controlled the landlord cannot raise the rent unless they do major renovation and even then it still has a cap based on the original lease and the income of the tenant.

Over the last 50 years this law has been challenged again and again. The Monica situation in Friends is plausible but a little far-fetched. The idea that you can live there for 20 years and then "leave" it to a younger family member is not possible.  I had friends in Manhattan who had been in their apartments for 30, 40 and on my floor in my 1st building there was an old lesbian who had been there 50 years! But I also know awful stories of children who have been thrown out of their family homes because they didn't understand the law and weren't on the lease. 

Landlords have become fairly clever and evil about getting tenants out of rent controlled apartments. There have been loads of legal challenges and sadly the system no longer exists. I had friends in rent controlled units and landlords would set up cameras to try and prove that they didn't actually live there full time. Friends had to spend $1000's in legal fees to fight landlords trying to evict them. There are lots of horrible stories. Construction work starting at midnight, hot water and heat being turned off (you will be amazed to find that the Trump company & the Kushner real estate companies has been accused of these kinds of tactics multiple times.) It can get nasty because there is so much money at stake for the landlords they will do anything.

Rent stabilized is the other system. Essentially a local government committee get together every year and decide how much landlords can raise rents without any improvements. Usually somewhere between 2-5%. I lived in an apartment like this for many years. My rent started at $2150 per month, by the time I left 8 years later it was $2600 per month.

Sounds like New York is already in the hands of The Commies to me. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i saw something a long time ago, sure it was presented by Idris Elba and he said something about friends being terrible for diversity and now i cant unsee it, the only real character from the main cast who was black was the woman who dated both ross and joey in the later series (charlie?)

Would have been the same with pretty much all telly for most of the Friends run.  However Friends probably ran long enough to overlap with times when TV Diversity became important / recognised. 

You can guarantee if Charlie had entered earlier in the run she wouldn't have been black.  If Friends was starting out today at least one cast member would be a person of colour. It's just the times. 

Â