Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The civilised way would be to unwrap them methodically, but such was the hunger and impulsiveness, just tear off the end. Especially if you had been swimming, remember how hungry you were after swimming? Etiquette went out the window. 

TBF that's an amazing shout. Post swimming chips hit hard.

What would be your worst, post swim, food?

57 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Remember fish and chip shops when you were a bin - lid, and that thing they used sell and call "Scallop," but in fact, was nothing more than a big flat round battered chip?

They're lovely, but take the grease levels up to 11. 

3 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Sushi.

9 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

TBF that's an amazing shout. Post swimming chips hit hard.

It was always chips when I was a kid. And nine times out of ten they were always run by Greek Cypriots. I used to go to a cafe opposite Stechford Baths, still remember the guy's name, Carlos. I can still hear him shouting as he gave us our bags of chips, "Salt and vinegar only! No sauce!" And Boy, did he mean it. It was a proper head doer really, because, who doesn't want tomato sauce on their chips?

Tight Bastard. 

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It was always chips when I was a kid. And nine times out of ten they were always run by Greek Cypriots. I used to go to a cafe opposite Stechford Baths, still remember the guy's name, Carlos. I can still hear him shouting as he gave us our bags of chips, "Salt and vinegar only! No sauce!" And Boy, did he mean it. It was a proper head doer really, because, who doesn't want tomato sauce on their chips?

Tight Bastard. 

My best mate from infants to 6th form was a Greek Cypriot and they owned a chip shop. 

It was actually an awful chip shop. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

My best mate from infants to 6th form was a Greek Cypriot and they owned a chip shop. 

It was actually an awful chip shop. 

My favourite as a kid was "Bedders" on Coventry Rd, Bandit Country. My Nan took me as a kid. That was run by three generations of the same family for years. Only opened weekdays 11.30 till 2.00 pm and Friday night 5.30 till 7.30 (Catholic population, apparently). I kind of liked that tradition, and it still adhered too, but the family sold it a few years ago and it just doesn't have that same feel, sadly.

The fish and chips with mushy peas was delicious and they would do these diced onions pickled in vinegar, which, for some reason didn't taste like your usual pickled onions, much better tbf. It certainly had a decent reputation back in the day, but so did a lot of other things. 

What I would give to be able to play the old pinball machines where, in some cafes, you could get money for clocking up so many games. The trick was to get the number "16" with your first ball. Don't know how I got on to that subject. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Genie said:

We used to have a scallop bap at school lunch time from the local chippy, 50p.

Underrated 

Scallop bap, American burger cheese, bbq and mayo

That'd probably be about £4 now

See also fish cake bap, was one of my go tos when I worked at a chippy but next to no one ever ordered it - the king of no one ever orders it being a cheeseburger with kebab meat on top, not a clue how that's not a thing

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Genie said:

We used to have a scallop bap at school lunch time from the local chippy, 50p.

Carbs on Carbs on Carbs. 

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

What I would give to be able to play the old pinball machines where, in some cafes, you could get money for clocking up so many games. The trick was to get the number "16" with your first ball. Don't know how I got on to that subject. 

You need to go to Tilt in City Arcade, Union Street.  Craft Ales and classic pinball machines, dozens of them. 

Don't know about the number 16 thing. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tinker said:

The Pet shop boys, one decent song and the rest is drivel.

One for the unpopular opinions thread? 

What is their one decent song? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Where to start, Paninaro, Jealousy, Being Boring, Its a Sin, Shopping, Heart, Weat End Girls, Kings Cross, Love Comes Quickly, Rent, The Pop Kids. I could go on. 

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

THE song of the 80s. West End Girls. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Genie said:

It was before carbs were bad

Oh don't get me wrong. My usual lunch was a fresh warm baked roll from the school canteen hollowed out and stuffed full of crisps. 

This left me with enough dinner money to go halves with someone on 10 Benson and Hedges which the old lady who ran the shop at the back of the school wouldn't hesitate to sell us whilst wearing our school uniforms. 

Different times. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Where to start, Paninaro, Jealousy, Being Boring, Its a Sin, Shopping, Heart, Weat End Girls, Kings Cross, Love Comes Quickly, Rent, The Pop Kids. I could go on. 

Please don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â