Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Do you have WIndows Update turned on? They release a new version every two weeks on a Tuesday. If you have updates turned on it will run automatically once the download is complete. Each new version contains new virus definitions etc

Yeah, I get that, but this is a clean installation. I'm doing several per day at the moment, Ffs the first thing that you need to do is check for updates. I wish there was an option for "I've only just installed this, I haven't even opened a **** browser yet and I really don't need to check for **** viruses, so kindly **** off and don't download and spend half an hour checking this old PC hard drive. KTHXBAI" 

Where's that option? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I was going to a funeral yesterday and was rushing around work trying to tie up a few loose ends about tree planting.. yep. 

Just put my out of office on and I get an email from microsoft telling me I need to change my password as it expires today.  Now I've been getting emails about changing my log in for about 9 weeks now and I'm not **** doing it because I only have like... 4,000 passwords and I've nearly run out of using them.

So I click this thing in a hurry, put in my details and it takes me to a page from my company essentially saying "HA HA!! WE FOOLED YOU, THIS WASN'T REAL AND YOU COULDA GOT HACKED BRO!!! AHAHHAHAHAHAHA DORK"

So now I'm on some "simpleton" list because I was only half looking, whilst acknowledging that I've had several "change your damn password, you prick" emails for weeks. 

**** thing. 

Tell your IT Dept that even Microsoft thinks regularly changing your passwords is now a stupid idea and has done since 2019. It does more harm than good.

Microsoft is finally catching on to a maxim that security experts have almost universally accepted for years: periodic password changes are likely to do more harm than good.

In a largely overlooked post published late last month, Microsoft said it was removing periodic password changes from the security baseline settings it recommends for customers and auditors. After decades of Microsoft recommending passwords be changed regularly, Microsoft employee Aaron Margosis said the requirement is an “ancient and obsolete mitigation of very low value.”

ARSTechnica

Why would you put on an Out of Office for a day? you're still therefore on the list

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Yeah, I get that, but this is a clean installation. I'm doing several per day at the moment, Ffs the first thing that you need to do is check for updates. I wish there was an option for "I've only just installed this, I haven't even opened a **** browser yet and I really don't need to check for **** viruses, so kindly **** off and don't download and spend half an hour checking this old PC hard drive. KTHXBAI" 

Where's that option? 

3 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Where's that option? 

MS likes to fill up your PC with updates (about 10 a week for 3 years ) and anything else that will help slow your PC down so that you will go out and get the next version of Windows.Then the process will start all over again,rinse and repeat.

pretty serious post now

had to go into the office for the first time in 18 months today, now I'm not good with people, I wasn't looking forward to, I don't do well around other people, I'm happy in my own little bubble, it was just as bad as I imagined it would be, we got let out early though, the one person I find tolerable asked if I wanted a beer, that beer turned into 5 in the space of 90 minutes, got home and I've clattered everything that I had in the fridge, I'm pretty well lubed now, this was never my intention,

my two rules are:

1 - dont start drinking early unless you can carry on until bedtime

2 - if you are going to drink make sure you have enough beer in the fridge to keep you going

I have no shame in admitting that I'm one step away from being a full blown alcoholic, some people here will probably remember my weekly posts that consisted of hufshigijijgjirjigijtrgijtriogt with me thinking they actually made sense.

I was weak today, I've **** up, I'm just about to have a rum, I feel fine now but I know that I'll spend tomorrow in bed when I should be working, just can't help myself though, this is why I only allow myself 3 or 4 bottles of lager on a Friday night because I just can't stop when I start.

for the record I've done 5 pints 3 cans and 3 650ml bottles, if I had more then I would drink it, even as I'm typing this I know that I will pour a **** off glass of rum

I have it under control 99% of the time these days but as soon as I deviate from my usual routine I'm **** and even though I know I shouldn't I know I'm going to hammer that bottle of rum.

Edited by leemond2008

I've fell off the wagon in quite a big way tonight, not major, I'm not screaming out fir help but I have asked a couple of pals of they can have a chat and they have said that they cant

I don't blame them and maybe I should shout a bit louder but **** me I'm off the wagon right now and I don't think they understand.... I'm just looking for someone to talk to that's all I need 

33 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I've fell off the wagon in quite a big way tonight, not major, I'm not screaming out fir help but I have asked a couple of pals of they can have a chat and they have said that they cant

I don't blame them and maybe I should shout a bit louder but **** me I'm off the wagon right now and I don't think they understand.... I'm just looking for someone to talk to that's all I need 

Talk away. VT is listening.

• Like 2

following last nights little session I can confirm that I feel **** rotten this morning and I'm glad I'm working from home today.

last night was just a little blip, no harm done, I'll have a few beers tomorrow and get back into my routine, midweek drinking is well and truly off the table these days for me purely because I can't be trusted to act like a normal human 

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

following last nights little session I can confirm that I feel **** rotten this morning and I'm glad I'm working from home today.

last night was just a little blip, no harm done, I'll have a few beers tomorrow and get back into my routine, midweek drinking is well and truly off the table these days for me purely because I can't be trusted to act like a normal human 

I'm no expert in these matters, so feel free to tell me I'm talking shit, but I think you're kidding yourself. I honestly believe to need to quit drinking totally, it's doing you serious physical and mental damage. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm no expert in these matters, so feel free to tell me I'm talking shit, but I think you're kidding yourself. I honestly believe to need to quit drinking totally, it's doing you serious physical and mental damage. 

nah these days I literally have 3 or 4 cans on a Friday night and that is it, I don't ever feel like having any more than that, it isn't the case where I am struggling to stop after them few drinks, I just don't want any more.

I went the pub with a lad from work and I just couldn't stop myself last night, its the first time I've been properly pissed in months, like I say, it was a bit of a blip and I should have known better but I'm not beating myself up about it, it doesn't happen very often these days and won't happen again for a good long time 

21 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

People who come into the office nowadays with just a laptop. No mouse, no second screen, no keyboard.

Unless their job is surfing internet or just reading - how are they being productive.

The last time I worked in an office the ony thing I used a second screen for was streaming the whole of Cheltenham and then the World Cup.

• Haha 1

Â