Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I read something once about sitcoms always showing characters in a far more well off position than is actually plausible.

Pretty much all of them have their characters living in nicer houses and a better lifestyle than is realistic.

Frank Grimes in the Simpsons takes the piss out of it I think

In the main poor isn't funny, unless it's actually the joke like Only Fools or Steptoe and son type of thing. 

It's probably easier to laugh at people living shiny lives. 

So many American TV and Films show those absolutely massive wooden clad suburban houses with big gardens. I guess it's projecting the dream into the screen. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

In the main poor isn't funny, unless it's actually the joke like Only Fools or Steptoe and son type of thing. 

Shameless (both sides of the pond), Porridge (and spin off Going Straight), Roseanne, Married with Children...

There's a lot more "Poor" Sitcoms than people imagine

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Shameless (both sides of the pond), Porridge (and spin off Going Straight), Roseanne, Married with Children...

There's a lot more "Poor" Sitcoms than people imagine

Soaps are the interesting comparison. Typical UK soaps feature mainly working class characters (Coronation Street, East Enders, etc.), whereas US ones were traditionally upper-middle class (Dallas, Dynasty). Something to do with aspirational values - the execs reason that poor people don't want to be reminded of their poverty, they want escapist fantasy. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's probably easier to laugh at people living shiny lives. 

So many American TV and Films show those absolutely massive wooden clad suburban houses with big gardens. I guess it's projecting the dream into the screen. 

There's a cultural reason why the American sitcoms show the protagonists as succeeding where the British sitcoms often don't.

Stephen Fry can explain it better than me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Malcolm in the middle (one of the greatest US sitcoms, I will fight you over this). Poor family, always poor, fails at everything. 

As with most things it's not an absolute. Just a cultural norm.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Malcolm in the middle (one of the greatest US sitcoms, I will fight you over this). Poor family, always poor, fails at everything. 

I'm sure there is a correlation between them being poor and having 5 kids  :) 

Hal's family are wealthy  , if only he'd chosen Susan over Lois life would have been much different   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/10/2021 at 13:40, bickster said:

Why would you put on an Out of Office for a day? you're still therefore on the list

Why wouldn't you? If I'm off for half a day, I put an out of office message on. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

They earned an obscene amount from it, but if it didn't go to the main cast, it was going to the bigwigs, so I don't begrudge them a cent

Same as the people who voice the Simpsons. Earn a fortune for silly voices. Fair play! 

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Bonus though, the meeting is yards from Probe Records and this opportunity will not be missed, though my appearance midweek in a shirt and tie WILL be mocked...

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the beatles, or probably their record label have released another version of let it be, this time with 57 odd tracks on it, theres a £230 CD version of it on amazon, they've done for the 50th anniversary for 2 or 3 of their albums now

:detect:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I read something once about sitcoms always showing characters in a far more well off position than is actually plausible.

Pretty much all of them have their characters living in nicer houses and a better lifestyle than is realistic.

Frank Grimes in the Simpsons takes the piss out of it I think

Its the same in the UK I think. I haven't seen Eastenders in about 15 years but people always had jobs like market trader/barmaid/cafe worker/taxi driver/mechanic, yet they all lived in three storey houses in London which are probably worth £1m. No-one ever appeared to work in 'the city'. People just hung around the square all day. 

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Everyone always thought that was a random, I know I did. Classic 80's

TBH I thought she was a random when it happened in 84/85, and then co-incidentally had a career in acting. Seems she started acting in 1984 so maybe not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:
13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Why wouldn't you? If I'm off for half a day, I put an out of office message on. 

Because I'll pick it up tomorrow

I think this is simply a case of 2 different roles having a discussion. I have to 'out of office' for any more than half a day because the requests coming in probably won't be able to wait until tomorrow (they would be live processing related) so they need to go to another engineer asap.

• Like 2

Just now, BOF said:

I think this is simply a case of 2 different roles having a discussion. I have to 'out of office' for any more than half a day because the requests coming in probably won't be able to wait until tomorrow (they would be live processing related) so they need to go to another engineer asap.

Quite possibly, having said that I had an out of office on for over a year last year that said, there'd a pandemic on, deal with it, I may not answer straight away (In a Corporate babble kind of way). I left it on for much longer than I needed to :D

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Because I'll pick it up tomorrow

Some things can't wait a day though. Especially when money is involved! :D 

Â