Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This is what I mean

ia-ireland-art3-mutchler-1460078822.png

Anything with a distance has "km" written on it

Bloody Hell!   I picture lots of traffic accidents as drivers spend 60 seconds trying to read all thos signs when they should be watching the road.   Either that or traffic jams waiting for every driver to stop and spend 2 minutes figuring out where to go.

On 17/02/2021 at 10:48, mjmooney said:

OK. It's slightly heavy going, but it's basically a philosophical novel about what being alone/a loner does to your head (in both positive and negative ways). I'm reading it at the moment, and aspects of it chimed with the current lockdown situation. I don't know how it ends up, so I'm not necessarily recommending it! 

I now have a copy of it.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2021 at 21:28, KenjiOgiwara said:

The fact that I in my mid 30s and a pandemic have managed to develop IBS, I think anyway. Which I thought was a total crock of shite when I heard people complaining about it.

Really annoying as well cause it's ruined my favourite cereal, onions and mushrooms

Had IBS from 19 for a good 8 years. Various doctors said I was too young to have it. Awful stomach cramps, for hours on end, sometimes days. Particularly couldn't eat/digest red meat. Doc had me on limited diet & then reintroduced certain foods over time. Had to take muscle relaxants. Mine is completely stress-related. Over the years it's eased off/I'm more careful what I eat. It can flare up if I get too wound up though. My sympathies & good luck @KenjiOgiwara

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Equally, I reckon most people think of a marathon as just over 26 miles. I don’t think they equate it to around 42 km.

Imperial for distance running.I like that I can now get into 30inch waist jeans.

However, if I’m measuring a room or something it’s metres.

I just don't get why you don't want to move on with the rest of the world. I get you grew up with it, but Italians had lire, some other europeans grew up forced to learn russian. Time changes.

Same goes for driving on the wrong side of the road.

From shipping, to sports, construction, nobody uses imperial.

It's funny how you mentioned clothes mind. It's the one thing I can think of that still does, and nobody actually knows what 32 on the jeans refer to in real units.

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I just don't get why you don't want to move on with the rest of the world. I get you grew up with it, but Italians had lire, some other europeans grew up forced to learn russian. Time changes.

It's funny how you mentioned clothes mind. It's the one thing I can think of that still does, and nobody actually knows what 32 on the jeans refer to in real units.

What size TV do you have?

Spoiler

:trollface:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Without trying to sound pretentious or whatever, the terms used in imperial have more charm and character than their metric counterparts. 

If someone has a far off look, they have a thousand yard stare. They don’t have a thousand metre stare, it’s too “precise”. The US show was called “Six Feet Under”. The title has a weighty gravitas about it. “Two Metres Under” sounds like a show about drainage or something. Jack Grealish scoring from 25 yards out is Roy of the Rovers stuff. Jack Grealish scoring from 25 metres out sounds cold and calculated and is more at home in a sky sports data box listed with other goals scored from distance. Would the proclaimers have achieved a hit by walking 500 kilometres and then an additional 500 kilometres? I doubt it.

I guess all this is that I like the terminology of imperial in every day language. Like I said, if I have to do some calculations for measuring a room (like I did in a former life) it’s metres. Easier to divide etc. But I don’t typically have to calculate things. I know that driving to Edinburgh is going to take around 5 hours, whether I’ve made the journey in miles or kilometres is neither here nor there.

As for driving on the wrong side of the road, I’ve come to accept that no matter how daft that is, you lot in the rest of the world will never see sense :)

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

A couple of years back i was working with a U.S. firm on a building that had to have some really precise setting out measurements due to the acoustics.

The guys doing the cad drawings in the U.S. were using decimal points of inches. It was ridiculous. I’d get a phone call or an email asking me to move something on the drawing by 0.984 of an inch. Blew my mind.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2021 at 08:17, mjmooney said:

Have you ever read Hermann Hesse's "Steppenwolf"? Serious question. 

I have but not for a while. Have read all of Hesse's novels. Introduced to him by a history teacher recommending The Prodigy (Beneath the Wheel).

• Like 1

It's all a bit in jest. But I still think it's odd you keep at it. It's like it's out of pure stubborness. It's kind of French tbh. Sticking with something that's unliked, impractical etc. simply because it's been your way of doing it. 

20 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's all a bit in jest. But I still think it's odd you keep at it. It's like it's out of pure stubborness. It's kind of French tbh. Sticking with something that's unliked, impractical etc. simply because it's been your way of doing it. 

We have a mixture of both in the UK. Best of both worlds!  For example we never measure liquids or foods in ounces! 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

A couple of years back i was working with a U.S. firm on a building that had to have some really precise setting out measurements due to the acoustics.

The guys doing the cad drawings in the U.S. were using decimal points of inches. It was ridiculous. I’d get a phone call or an email asking me to move something on the drawing by 0.984 of an inch. Blew my mind.

My missus regularly rants about American recipes that give amounts in neither ounces nor grams, but in 'cups'. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My missus regularly rants about American recipes that give amounts in neither ounces nor grams, but in 'cups'. 

cups is a great system. makes the math way easier when making a recipe for more or less people and no weighing needed. get yourself a set of aluminium ones.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Moaned about him before been I see salt bae is opening a restaurant in knightsbridge

The man can't cook! 

Not sure why but out of all the "how is that a thing?" candidates he's the one that pisses me off the most

This word removed has started popping up on my YouTube feed. I instantly hated him. 

Â