Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

For £500 you can have a poorly seasoned poorly cooked 16oz strip of gold coated wagyu beef hacked at with a machete and dangled in to your gob

Get in the **** sea with that nonsense 

I suspect you’re not paying for the meat, you’re paying for the Insta photo opportunities that will make you oh-so popular with your retarded followers.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My missus regularly rants about American recipes that give amounts in neither ounces nor grams, but in 'cups'. 

I've tried to follow recipes like this before and it is a pain in the arse.

"1 cup of butter"

What the **** is that? Am I meant to ram butter into a cup? It's not even a weight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cups have their place if you're baking and working with powders or fluids. Measuring a cup of flour or sugar is much quicker than weighing it out.

I've seen some spectacularly bad applications for it though. I was looking at a recipe for a veggie curry or something a few months ago that wanted a cup of broccoli. I reckon that could have a variation of damn close to 100% depending on how big the florets are.

You're not meant to smear butter in to a cup, but they have their crazy system of sticks and cups, and people just know, or you have packaging like this

How many ounces in a stick of butter ALQURUMRESORT.COM

Edited by Davkaus

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We use pounds and pints but never ounces. Or do we?

I think we do. I can’t say I can recall the last time I measured an ounce when cooking, but I’m sure I’ve seen it in a recipe. Admittedly I’m probably more likely to use grams or pounds. In fairness if something is weighed out I’m far more likely to say “that’s about 200g” than suggesting it’s about 7 ounces.

When babies are born their weight is measured in pounds and ounces. At least that’s how my kid was weighed anyway.

I live with the inconsistency. The time for me to challenge the system would have been when I had my first school rule and to say “why have we got this other set of numbers that only goes to 12? Let’s sack that right off.” 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I am more disappointed in Mooney not picking up on this. 

I don't know where @a m ole comes from, so 'math' may be perfectly acceptable. Equally so if used ironically. I did however let the lack of sentence capitalisation go. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I’m a London based troll. you know what, the non-capitalisation in my posts at the start of a sentence is because I exclusively post from my phone where I turned off auto-caps to make my blunt communication style seem softer in text messages. I sporadically remember to capitalise ‘I’ and will always capitalise proper nouns. it just seems so second nature to me while typing on my phone now I don’t even notice it. sorry.

IRL i have impecible spellings and grammer;

edit; shouldn’t your username be MJMooney? 🧐

It should. It stems from my old work login which had to have that format - initials and surname, all lower case, no spaces or punctuation. I used it for VT and other sites just out of laziness - with hindsight I wish I'd thought up some witty alias instead. 

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

My next door neighbour’s van, well two vans to be precise. I live on a street with no permanent parking, it’s a free for all and I accept that I have no entitlement to park outside my house. That’s fine, and I don’t mind the walk up the road with bags of shopping when I can’t park closer. What I do object to is that every time either me or the missus go out, the bloke next door rushes out to move his vans around and takes the space we were occupying. He does it all the time, I’ll nip out for something then return to see he’s parked his van outside my house. He’ll even go as far as parking one van so it takes up two spaces, then rings his missus when he’s nearly home so she can go out and move it so he can get both in. 

It’s really petty shit, and it pisses me off that something like this pisses me off. Think I should just tell him to piss off next time. 

Completely valid thing to be pissed off about.

One thing that pisses me of a similar ilk near me is where people park on the road outside their house but leave space on their drive. A lot of the houses have a double tandem style drive. They have 1 car on the drive and stick the other on the road outside their house for everyone to have to drive round.

• Thanks 1

Â