Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Taxi chat is normally what's your opinion on Uber vs Taxi rank depending on which I am using at that time and asking about their religion (normally Islam)

Barber chat is generally nothing unless I am asked.

Recruiting someone for a 1 year maternity cover role, then 6 weeks in to the role, her enquiring about maternity cover because she is pregnant and will need to go off on maternity leave in 4 months. And knew about it before taking the job. For 12 months. 

:bang:

HR insist I can't recommend an abortion.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Not really,  it was said with some irony.  Yesterday,  the bloke in the seat next to me in the Barber's in question had a funny shaped head and kept breaking the clippers,  it looked like it might take a while you see.

That reminds me, my mate came back from the barbers last week proudly boasting that he only got charged a fiver because the guy cutting his hair clipped off some of the psoriasis from his head.  Rough as ****.

• Haha 1

I thought that small talk with taxi drivers / barbers etc it was just the business equivalent of talking about the weather to your neighbours for the sake of engaging in conversation

99% of the conservation is forgotten about  30 seconds after you've left , it's just making the person feel some love  .. I chat with the sports massage lady I see about all shorts of boring shit , mainly as she is 25 and very pretty ..so it stop me visualising her naked and getting a boner

I only tend to use taxi's when I'm pissed but in the 10 mins it takes to get from my local to the late bars in Woking we usually manage to get the driver to crank up the volume on the radio all the way to 11 so we can have car boogie to the music of his choice and tyre screech around a few roundabouts Sweeny style   , all due to the How you doing , How's yer day been , what time you knocking off (usually a subtle way of finding out if he can do the 4 am multi drop home leg  on the quiet  cash in hand)  routine

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Recruiting someone for a 1 year maternity cover role, then 6 weeks in to the role, her enquiring about maternity cover because she is pregnant and will need to go off on maternity leave in 4 months. And knew about it before taking the job. For 12 months. 

This happened to my mate when we worked together.

He had recently been made a team leader of a team of three, soon to be a team of two due to cut backs. He fought the corner of the woman who was being let go, management relented and said “ok, she can have another year long contract”.

About a month or two later she announced she was pregnant and my mate basically had to go back to his bosses and tell them that his first major decision as a team leader will cost them extra for the maternity leave and she wouldn’t be there for a fair amount of that year they agreed.

My opinion at the time was that I wasn’t particularly impressed but ultimately she played the system, so you know, good for her. I remember my team leader talking about it and she was saying how pissed off her and a few other female colleagues were because they felt like it could reflect poorly on women in the office.

It's an incredibly shit situation, because 6 months is a pretty awkward length of time to try and bring someone in for, we'll probably end up just trying to plod on being down 1.

These things happen, and I wouldn't be even slightly annoyed if it wasn't for the fact that she knew and took a short term role anyway, knowing she wouldn't be here for it. I think it should be considered fraudulent, frankly. If she just found out a few months in, shit happens, but this is a real kick in the teeth.

But it's illegal to ask if a woman is pregnant at the point of hiring, so I'm clearly a disgusting advocate for the patriarchy, and there's no problem with her taking a job she knew she wouldn't stick around for. 😕 

Edited by Davkaus

9 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

My opinion at the time was that I wasn’t particularly impressed but ultimately she played the system, so you know, good for her. I remember my team leader talking about it and she was saying how pissed off her and a few other female colleagues were because they felt like it could reflect poorly on women in the office.

It happens a lot these days and I'm all for it. If you can play the system legally then go for it. 

I've just got off the phone with one of my staff who is just about to come back from her first baby. She wants to WFH three days a week and come into the office twice. She's clued-up on all our policies and I know that even if she's not in the office, I'll get plenty of work from her if I offer this level of flexibility. I suspect she's already pregnant with the next one but even if she is and I have to find more cover for her, I say good luck to her. 

I'm amazed at how long women have had their careers hindered for the simple fact that they've had a baby and think it's great that they're able to combine motherhood with a career if they want to.

/virtuesignal

• Like 1

1 minute ago, choffer said:

It happens a lot these days and I'm all for it. If you can play the system legally then go for it. 

I've just got off the phone with one of my staff who is just about to come back from her first baby. She wants to WFH three days a week and come into the office twice. She's clued-up on all our policies and I know that even if she's not in the office, I'll get plenty of work from her if I offer this level of flexibility. I suspect she's already pregnant with the next one but even if she is and I have to find more cover for her, I say good luck to her. 

I'm amazed at how long women have had their careers hindered for the simple fact that they've had a baby and think it's great that they're able to combine motherhood with a career if they want to.

/virtuesignal

Yeah that’s fine.

I just think it was a shame that someone who was trying to help her kind of got the rug pulled from under his feet in doing so.

47 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah that’s fine.

I just think it was a shame that someone who was trying to help her kind of got the rug pulled from under his feet in doing so.

Just one of the many perils of management. It’s why managers are paid the big bucks ;)

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah that’s fine.

That's why Homer Simpson (I think) said "Never help anyone"

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Was she recruited externally new to the company? If so isn't she under a probation period for a certain amount of time? 

To be honest, as you say, borderline fraud to take the job knowing you were pregnant. 

• Like 1

On 28/02/2019 at 19:27, bickster said:

Professional small talk by that I mean the shit that barbers (and Taxi drivers I imagine) talk when you're in the chair 

I love chatting with my barbe..ress? She's hot as ****. Only problem she's done with me in about 7 minutes.

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I chat with the sports massage ladyboy I see about all shorts of boring shit , mainly as she is 25 and very pretty ..so it stop me visualising her naked and getting a boner

41 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Why would she be getting a boner?!

Tony mistyped his post.   I fixed it for him.

• Haha 2

Mates.

i moved away from home (Birmingham) 13yrs ago but still come back several times a year.

i love my mates to bits but now have to resolve all their problems whilst in town.

it feels like they’ve ignored/discounted their ills until I got back home but somehow pleased that I ‘m the one they ask for advice. 

19 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Just wait until Labour get into power and enact their flexible working for all from day one policy

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Was she recruited externally new to the company? If so isn't she under a probation period for a certain amount of time? 

To be honest, as you say, borderline fraud to take the job knowing you were pregnant. 

Fairly sure that pregnancy beats probationary period in employment law top trumps

Â