Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

seeing shit like this being spouted on social media

16806723_1854558144819843_39441207104812

the silver lining is its making it easier to spot which of your friends are **** morons

well, you posted it.....

I like how they got the Freddo feaces to actually look like faeces

I am however at a loss to work out how buying some American chocolate makes one 'heart GB'

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

seeing shit like this being spouted on social media

16806723_1854558144819843_39441207104812

the silver lining is its making it easier to spot which of your friends are **** morons

Utter morons. 

Some absolute spazzjeffs stole my grandmothers purse in Bromsgrove last weekend. They spent £91 in poundland on bedlinen and ordered a dominos while also withdrawing £500 on two cards. 

The police caught them from CCTV and they'd been following my nan for about an hour before they grabbed the purse. I have to say I would't be so kind to their nads if I ever see them. 

• Sad 3

I've a similar saying at Easter time.  "If it says Nestlé on it, don't buy it".  I use it throughout the year too* :) 

* and yes I'm well up on the myriad of companies Nestlé also own/have shares in.  I avoid those too.

Looking at old photos and newspaper articles of American soccer clubs from the early 20th century. Lots of clubs with strong rivalries and a working class fanbase. Probably a system that looked a lot like lower leagues in Britain at that time. Shame that it all went belly up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Didn't know that, interesting. 

In return, did you know about UK baseball in the Victorian era? Only one professional season - guess who won it?

Read about this before. Really interesting stuff, I had no idea baseball was anywhere near "big" over here.

Explains Derby's ground being "the baseball ground" for so long too

I'm sure I've told this before, but it's a personal fave so it's going again:

We had a company team bonding thing I wasn't really in to, baseball in a local park. I was bored, most were bored but some were well in to it. I'd placed my self outfield for a quiet time but some bozo hit a really sweet shot that absolutely flew. It was heading in my direction but really high, I was doing a token backwards jog with my hand in the air and everyone screaming for me to catch it.

It whistled past, a good distance above my hand. But the stitching on the ball had unravelled and it had a comet tail of twine that couldn't be seen from any distance. That got caught in my fingers, the ball that had gone by swung round in a big arc and in to my hand.

Jesus of the outfield.

But back to the question, it's been a thing locally here, you'll see baseball played on a weekend. There's a Cardiff team and maybe a small informal local league. Cardiff Merlins have a game soon against the Bristol something or others. 

There's a basketball league that's good fun. I've been and seen Plymouth Raiders a couple of times and it's entertaining.

Couple of guys from the office were over in Bristol last weekend watching a Brizzle club play a French club in American football.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I've a similar saying at Easter time.  "If it says Nestlé on it, don't buy it".  I use it throughout the year too* :) 

* and yes I'm well up on the myriad of companies Nestlé also own/have shares in.  I avoid those too.

is this a kit kat gave you a runny tummy type boycott or should I be preaching to my cat about the evils of the Purina product that she loves so much ?

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

There are dozens of UK Twitter fan accounts for American baseball, is interest growing at all, or still totally fringe?

I watch a fair bit of it but don't really know anyone else who has a huge interest in it, especially compared to NBA and NFL.  There is a bit of a crossover with cricket fans for obvious reasons and the game they're playing in London has sold out I believe.

• Like 1

On the baseball thing, I knew it was played in the UK, but it was quite a pleasant surprise to discover that the only pro baseball champs of Britain were Aston Villa.

Wrong thread, really. 

• Like 2

On 06/03/2019 at 23:58, KHV said:

I would have stayed motionless in the driving seat until the emergency services arrived.

On a similar note:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41360891

Birmingham has topped the UK's "crash for cash" postcode league - the second time in a year the city has featured in a table of hotspots for the crime.

The scams are run by fraudsters who manufacture collisions with other road users, hoping to profit from insurance claims.

In the table, compiled by the Insurance Fraud Bureau (IFB), Birmingham had 10 of the top 30 postcodes for the crime.

Manchester, Bradford, London and Oldham also featured on the list.

In total, Birmingham has 10 postcodes on the list. Washwood Heath, Aston and Small Heath were the three worst postcodes for the crime in the UK.

In Bradford, Frizinghall and Manningham came joint fourth for the numbers of fraudulent claims, while in Manchester the M8 postcode, which includes Cheetham Hill, was ranked sixth.

"We don't know the exact reason Birmingham features so heavily in these surveys," said Ben Fletcher, the director of the IFB, a not-for-profit organisation set up to detect fraud.

Hmmm really Ben? You don't need to Inspector Morse to deduce the reason! :D

Edited by Xela

6 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Some absolute spazzjeffs stole my grandmothers purse in Bromsgrove last weekend. They spent £91 in poundland on bedlinen and ordered a dominos while also withdrawing £500 on two cards. 

The police caught them from CCTV and they'd been following my nan for about an hour before they grabbed the purse. I have to say I would't be so kind to their nads if I ever see them. 

Sorry to hear that mate.

There have been a few cases in Lichfield as well. Old women being followed for a while before they strike. 

In all cases the perpetrators were from Eastern Europe. Must be some kind of organised crime thing?

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm sure I've told this before, but it's a personal fave so it's going again:

We had a company team bonding thing I wasn't really in to, baseball in a local park. I was bored, most were bored but some were well in to it. I'd placed my self outfield for a quiet time but some bozo hit a really sweet shot that absolutely flew. It was heading in my direction but really high, I was doing a token backwards jog with my hand in the air and everyone screaming for me to catch it.

It whistled past, a good distance above my hand. But the stitching on the ball had unravelled and it had a comet tail of twine that couldn't be seen from any distance. That got caught in my fingers, the ball that had gone by swung round in a big arc and in to my hand.

Jesus of the outfield.

But back to the question, it's been a thing locally here, you'll see baseball played on a weekend. There's a Cardiff team and maybe a small informal local league. Cardiff Merlins have a game soon against the Bristol something or others. 

There's a basketball league that's good fun. I've been and seen Plymouth Raiders a couple of times and it's entertaining.

Couple of guys from the office were over in Bristol last weekend watching a Brizzle club play a French club in American football.

Apart from the obvious (London) one of the UK powerhouses of American Football is Tamworth Phoenix.

I didn't think anyone from Tamworth would be able to grasp the rules! 

13 hours ago, maqroll said:

There are dozens of UK Twitter fan accounts for American baseball, is interest growing at all, or still totally fringe?

Just joined a new Softball team with MrsVM. Our new team has not played a game yet but her/our old team has been around in the Cardiff League for all the time I've lived down here. About 8-10 teams every season. Few US ex-pats but mostly us Brits. Anyone who's half decent seems to end up playing in Bristol if they fancy a step up in level. We'll occasionally go off to a tournament in Birmingham or Bristol where leagues from around the country chuck teams in. More often than not over here I still have to explain what it is and then give up and say "yeah, it's rounders"

Recently in Swindon area I think it was they built a national Softball centre or some such. There's not much infrastructure over here.

• Like 1

Â