Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

The expression on Serena’s face is jarring in that cartoon. I don’t believe there’s any racist intent, but it’s clumsy and it could have been presented better.

Not 100% convinced that Serena Williams’ treatment in the media is inherently sexist/racist (over this incident, anyway). Didn’t John McEnroe receive a load of public/media criticism for arguing with an umpire? I’m fairly certain that when I first knew of McEnroe, it was down to his temper as opposed to how good of a player he was.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

35 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I don’t believe there’s any racist intent

I do.

I don't think you can look at the face they've used for Serena in that cartoon and not see the racist caricatures they've used, surely deliberately too.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don't look at the blonde in that cartoon and think 'yeah he's nailed half-Haitian/half-Japanese' there. 

If they'd exaggerated features to make her obviously haitian/japanese in some way, people would be adding that to the racism complaints.

The cartoon, whilst a cartoon is always parody, has too many connotations to have no intent.  Big lips? check.  Big nose? check.  Frizzy hair? check. Built like a brick shithouse? Check. 

Whilst she does have those features, do we really need to draw it to the "nth" degree?  Not without an agenda.  But hey, we're talking about it and that's what the artist wanted, so mission accomplished and shame on us I guess. 

But Naomi Osaka doesn't look like a dark skinned, frizzy haired, Asian person either, so he's used one standard for one, and an entirely different set of rules for "the hurt party".

Serena was a dickhead.  A huge one, but the cartoon isn't done in the best taste, and it's painfully obvious who will be defending it on social media and who will be defacing it too. 

My opinion?  who gives a ****. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

If they'd exaggerated features to make her obviously haitian/japanese in some way, people would be adding that to the racism complaints.

You don't have to exaggerate the features though. getting the skin colour and hair style in the right ball park would be a start.

The Serena features aren't just exaggerated either. They're straight out of a Jim Crow cartoon.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Grown man who insist on wearing name brand clothing or trainers.

Grow up.

Whilst I think its weird if someone chooses one brand exclusively, and only wears that, then that's weird. 

But if people just like the look of the clothes they buy and they happen to be branded.. then I don't get it. 

It's the tracksuit wearing ones with the same brand cap/trainers I laugh at. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Someone on soshul meeja is trying to get Villa fans to do a round of applause for Herbert Ellis at the next game.

:rolleyes:

Yeah I saw that tweet.  I reckon they should all do a bicycle kick on 35th minute instead of the applause 

• Like 1

On 10/09/2018 at 12:33, Stevo985 said:

I agree with Serena's point to be honest.

I don't think she conducted herself very well getting it across though.

I think literally everyone agrees with that. Doesn’t change the fact that she is self righteous “now that I am a mother” type word removed

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They're not applied the same way to women as they are to men though (or vice versa). It's the every definition of sexism, which was her point.

The media treat them entirely different too.

Serena has no point, she has verbally abused female umpires/linesman before when she was losing.

She wasn't fighting for equal rights or feminism then.

The chair umpire in question has handed the likes of Nadal, various code violations before.

She has no point, she is just a sore loser!

• Like 1

Â