Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

as in her daughter!

OK it's not as bad, but it's still horrible form considering.  As you say, money can be a grenade.  It's sad really.

Hmmm 25 grand is a fairly significant proportion of £300k (if it is indeed that much). I guess your children are different, but I wouldn’t take kindly to being told to gift over a certain amount by anyone.

What would your family (not yourself) be expecting? £25k for each of your aunt’s kids, £10k for each sibling and another £5k for each of the cousins? That would be around £150k gone, depending on how many kids your aunt has.

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

as in her daughter!

my mom is one of 5 sisters, I've got me my brother then 9 cousins, all of varying incomes and lifestyles and mortgages, kids, married etc my mom then has 10 cousins who have another i think 18 kids between them! its a big family

the auntie that has won is the one who has the best job and the least debt

An ex work colleague of mine got herself declared bankrupt after running up enormous credit card bills. 

And then won £600,000 on the lottery. Carried on working, too. 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

An ex work colleague of mine got herself declared bankrupt after running up enormous credit card bills. 

And then won £600,000 on the lottery. Carried on working, too.  

Would be hard to retire on just 600K

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

my auntie has won the postcode lottery, somewhere between £1,000 and £300,000, she finds out how much tomorrow

thats the equivalent of throwing a grenade in to my family, it wont be pretty

Why on earth didn’t your aunt keep the news to herself, especially knowing what her family would be like? Keeping it private would enable your aunt to occasionally treat individuals, as she thought was appropriate; after all she won the money, not them! Part of me hopes the win is on the smaller side just to spite her greedy family, but I suppose the best would be a big win and your aunt having the courage to donate nothing to anyone who asked.

EDIT: I get on well with my parents and I’d be really pleased for them if they won £300k but I wouldn’t expect a penny. Anything given, even a simple meal out, would be gratefully received. I guess family dynamics vary greatly!

Edited by brommy
As stated.

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Hmmm 25 grand is a fairly significant proportion of £300k (if it is indeed that much). I guess your children are different, but I wouldn’t take kindly to being told to gift over a certain amount by anyone.

What would your family (not yourself) be expecting? £25k for each of your aunt’s kids, £10k for each sibling and another £5k for each of the cousins? That would be around £150k gone, depending on how many kids your aunt has.

me? absolutely nothing

it would not be for free

36 minutes ago, brommy said:

Why on earth didn’t your aunt keep the news to herself, especially knowing what her family would be like? Keeping it private would enable your aunt to occasionally treat individuals, as she thought was appropriate; after all she won the money, not them! Part of me hopes the win is on the smaller side just to spite her greedy family, but I suppose the best would be a big win and your aunt having the courage to donate nothing to anyone who asked.

because thats all part of the drama! if she keeps it to herself then all she gets is the financial reward not the attention, part of me thinks the attention is worth more than the money ?‍♂️

if the win is on the smaller side i dont know if she will do the publicity or keep it quiet so she can inflate the figure to show off but that comes with the issue of higher expectations from everyone else

like i said its like a grenade there is no way it wont cause trouble

1 minute ago, KHV said:

I suppose it's 30k per year for 20 years.

Better than a kick in the nuts

It’s a bit better than £30k for 20 years as I’d invest what hadn’t been spent (eg £570k in year one, £540k in year two...). Probably get £30k per year for around 25 years or be able to take towards £40k in the latter of the 20 years.

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

because thats all part of the drama! if she keeps it to herself then all she gets is the financial reward not the attention, part of me thinks the attention is worth more than the money ?‍♂️

if the win is on the smaller side i dont know if she will do the publicity or keep it quiet so she can inflate the figure to show off but that comes with the issue of higher expectations from everyone else

like i said its like a grenade there is no way it wont cause trouble

It reads like your aunt deserves all the trouble that might be coming her way! Are you ‘distant’ enough from that part of your family to be able to stand back and enjoy the fireworks’?

this is hard to explain, we're all really close but in the last 20 years 95% of the time 1 of the sisters isn't talking to another for various reasons, they fight and then make up, the kids by and large avoid it all, i'm never involved, there's a danger if i got some money then some of my cousins wont, that kind of thing

she will revel in the trouble

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

as in her daughter!

my mom is one of 5 sisters, I've got me my brother then 9 cousins, all of varying incomes and lifestyles and mortgages, kids, married etc my mom then has 10 cousins who have another i think 18 kids between them! its a big family

the auntie that has won is the one who has the best job and the least debt

Good, she deserves it then for being a net contributor to society!

If my folks won a million on the lottery I would never expect or ask for anything... i'd be secretly hoping i'd get something but i'd never say so. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, coda said:

Postcode lottery? If they asked me to appear on those infernal adverts I'd tell them to keep the money.

I have now got that bloody jingle going round my head ?

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think £1m for me to retire. I'm not a flash harry so would make it last!

That would be a nice amount. I reckon I could enjoy myself with that amount and not work

31 minutes ago, coda said:

Postcode lottery? If they asked me to appear on those infernal adverts I'd tell them to keep the money.

Indeed. My wife does the postcode lottery. Everytime the ad comes on she says "Oh no, I must be a thick chav!" 

At my doc's earlier and chatting about my treatment and about how my current one isn't really working and he says he might have something that would work better. Great I think! 

Now i've got a months worth of suppositories ?

Â