Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Seriously though, we do like change when it's an improvement on what we had before. This isn't (insane multiquotes notwithstanding). 

In terms of moderating, I spend about the same amount of time sorting out people's lame attempts under the new system as the old one. I'd say under the old one, it was more laziness from posters which led to massive blocks of nested quotes, under this system it's more posters not knowing how to quote, plus the site glitching quite a bit in leaving quotes in the posting box. Sorry to dis (some of) our otherwise lovely posters.

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

You are entitled to your opinion, even when it's wrong :)

Now you have to consciously multi-quote rather than it happening by default.

how much did you get quoted for the improvements on the forum?  yeah yeah i know its a bad un.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

In terms of moderating, I spend about the same amount of time sorting out people's lame attempts under the new system as the old one. I'd say under the old one, it was more laziness from posters which led to massive blocks of nested quotes, under this system it's more posters not knowing how to quote, plus the site glitching quite a bit in leaving quotes in the posting box. Sorry to dis (some of) our otherwise lovely posters.

lovely! now thats a word ive never been called before.

• Like 1

That people from outside the greater Birmingham area don't seem to have grasped the simple facts about the naming conventions of soft drinks.

There are three soft drinks:

1.) Squash (or cordial if you're posh) - it's made with cordial and tap water.

2.) Pop - it's fizzy and comes in cans.

3.) Juice - it's made from real fruit and comes in little plastic bottles or cartons.

That's it - if you're confusing those names, you're wrong.

You missed off council pop

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't know if the experiments have been repeated more recently, but there was a major study done on US troops in WWII, the results being collected in S. L. A. Marshall's book "Men Against Fire". What they discovered was that the majority of infantrymen in actual combat never even fired their weapons, let alone hit anybody. Many of them thought - insisted, even - that they had, but inspections showed their guns not to have been fired. 

What shooting was done (and probably done fairly effectively) was done by a small minority of experienced professionals. 

Exactly. 

I seem to remember that there was a Horizon (?) on the subject a while back.

I found this source: http://tinyurl.com/oscyxgk

A look at history might help illustrate what I am talking about. In World War Two, it is a fact that only 15-20 percent of the soldiers fired at the enemy. That is one in five soldiers actually shooting at a Nazi when he sees one. While this rate may have increased in desperate situations or with different units, in most combat situations soldiers were reluctant to kill each other. The Civil War was not dramatically different nor were any previous wars.

In WW2 only one percent of the pilots accounted for thirty to forty percent of enemy fighters shot down in the air. Some pilots didn’t shoot down a single enemy plane.  A very interesting statistic when you think about it.

47 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That people from outside the greater Birmingham area don't seem to have grasped the simple facts about the naming conventions of soft drinks.

3.) Juice - it's made from real fruit and comes in little plastic bottles or cartons.

bloody brummies.

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yep, I've fallen for that before now.

Around a mate's house in Northern town:

"Do you want some juice?"

"Erm yeah, what kind?"

"Orange and Pineapple."

"Erm just Orange would be great."

"No, it's Orange and Pineapple."

"Together?"

"Yeah!"

"Erm, OK"

Brings out squash!

Northern monkeys! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Exactly. 

I seem to remember that there was a Horizon (?) on the subject a while back.

I found this source: http://tinyurl.com/oscyxgk

The Wiki article on deliberate avoidance seems to suggest that the Army had massively lowered the rate of deliberate avoidance by the time of the Vietnam War by better training methods, but I've no idea whether that's reliable or not. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

plus the site glitching quite a bit in leaving quotes in the posting box

This will not happen with the current editor. If it does I need to know about it. Read the notes at the top of the site issues forum and post it in there. This will only happen to people with the old editor in their cache.

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said: That people from outside the greater Birmingham area don't seem to have grasped the simple facts about the naming conventions of soft drinks.

Yep, I've fallen for that before now.

Around a mate's house in Northern town:

"Do you want some juice?"

"Erm yeah, what kind?"

"Orange and Pineapple."

"Erm just Orange would be great."

"No, it's Orange and Pineapple."

"Together?"

"Yeah!"

"Erm, OK"

Brings out squash!

Northern monkeys! 

If anyone offered me a drink and then proceeded to list various flavours of squash I'd headbutt them on the face.

18 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

People are the biggest threat to humanity so we need to take them out. All of them.

Except me :)

Saying that, I was watching Last Man on Earth last night (good show).

And I thought "If there was me and a very small number of other people, responsible for "repopulating" the human race.. I honestly don't think I'd bother".

Or, I'd have to think extremely hard to have a child in those circumstances.  Earth wouldn't feel the difference, she'll still be spinning around that axis for another few billion years, maybe even see a new apex predator/intelligent life.  Be interesting to see what would happen if man should suddenly disappear.  They did a one off special years ago about what would happen, cats would do better than dogs was one key finding, because they scavenge much better.  Also, it wouldn't take very long for all the roads to disappear (about 2/3 years if I recall), due to overgrowth etc.

Why the **** don't dishwashers have a smaller bit in the cutlery part from small spoons?

They all get stuck in the gaps of said cutlery plastic bit.  

(Unloading and loading the dishwasher are the most tangible and largest contributions to the smooth running of my house I do)

I think this is the first time I have ever written "cutlery" also.

Why the **** don't dishwashers have a smaller bit in the cutlery part from small spoons?

They all get stuck in the gaps of said cutlery plastic bit.  

(Unloading and loading the dishwasher are the most tangible and largest contributions to the smooth running of my house I do)

I think this is the first time I have ever written "cutlery" also.

Ours doesn't have that 'box' arrangement for cutlery, it has a slide-out drawer, where the items lie in horizontal slots. Much better design.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Except me :)

Saying that, I was watching Last Man on Earth last night (good show).

And I thought "If there was me and a very small number of other people, responsible for "repopulating" the human race.. I honestly don't think I'd bother".

Or, I'd have to think extremely hard to have a child in those circumstances.  Earth wouldn't feel the difference, she'll still be spinning around that axis for another few billion years, maybe even see a new apex predator/intelligent life.  Be interesting to see what would happen if man should suddenly disappear.  They did a one off special years ago about what would happen, cats would do better than dogs was one key finding, because they scavenge much better.  Also, it wouldn't take very long for all the roads to disappear (about 2/3 years if I recall), due to overgrowth etc.

I was wondering the other day how long 'the world' would survive if one day the sun just went out...? What do you reckon?

Edited by Genie

Â