Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

14 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

When the sun goes out the explosion will be enough to scorch all life off anyway so the question is irrelevant.  We certainly don't need to worry about dying of cold.

I think before this happens it goes really,  really big.  Like bigger than can fit in a draw under a bed or in the back of an estate car :o.  It then goes really small and goes mental because the little marble fellas of hotness do not have a big place to bounce so they bounce of the walls more as they completely lose all grip on the hotness, it can fit in a glove box or in one of those handy rucksack things and then it goes super cold.  Brrrrr.  Yes that cold.:ph34r:

Scale might be out a little.  I am not a teacher.

• Like 4

Bloke at work, from a bit further down the hangar than me: "That phone in there [an empty, pretty much unused, meeting room] was ringing"

Me: ".....OK......."

BaW "........"

Me: "....thanks for telling me that"

BaW: " I thought you dealt with things in there"

Me " No, no more than anyone else..."

so to summarise BaW heard the phone ringing, but didn't answer it, then when it had stopped ringing, told me he'd heard it ringing. wtf!

• Like 1

Car insurance companies.

Mug you off with high premiums for years then when you actually need them because someone ploughs into the back of your car they're absolutely useless, and just trying to sell you a hire car.

Would be so much easier to just go to a garage and get them to invoice your insurer.

22 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Christmas Jumpers.

Is there anything that shouts "I'm a complete clearing in the woods" more than someone wearing a christmas jumper.

God damn I genuinely despise them. So lame. 

Apparently I have to pay for the privilege or wearing one to work on Monday. Apart from the fact that I don't own one and the fact that I'm in relatively high-level meetings with external lawyers and a potential supplier for most of the day, not wearing one means I'm a rocket polisher. I've offered to pay five times the required amount to not have to wear one and apparently that upgrades me to clearing in the woods. 

Guess it just shows it's nothing to do with raising money for charity, it's about conformity.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2015 at 16:40, PieFacE said:

Christmas Jumpers.

Is there anything that shouts "I'm a complete clearing in the woods" more than someone wearing a christmas jumper.

God damn I genuinely despise them. So lame. 

I was at a hotel in Scotland last weekend and all these people in Christmas jumpers arrived in to the lounge. Chatting away. Some work Christmas do. So I hear one of them say it was a lovely service. I'm thinking right it's some bizarre religious group or the boss wanted them all to attend a Christmas style mass together.

Anyway, a member of my party got chatting to one of them because they had a baby. Awww look at the baby. The mother retorts. It's a week. Awkward silence. My friend didn't really understand. Oh the baby is a week old? No six weeks. More silence. It's my mother's wake. It's a wake. She died last week of cancer.

Turned out the dead woman wanted  all the funeral goers to wear Christmas jumpers at her funeral. I'm guessing the cancer went to her brain before the end. I suppose they're lucky they got away with just Christmas jumpers, and not full gimp costumes or something.

• Like 2

One woman (who is a bit slow) who sometimes shop at the place my mother works has recived a letter from USA that she has inherited millions of dollars from an unknown "relative".

The sad thing is that she really believes she has, and is bursting with joy, my mother tried to explain to her that it's most likely a fake letter and it's very common that people recieve letters like this, she then got angry at my mom claiming she was just jealous :crylaugh:

One woman (who is a bit slow) who sometimes shop at the place my mother works has recived a letter from USA that she has inherited millions of dollars from an unknown "relative".

The sad thing is that she really believes she has, and is bursting with joy, my mother tried to explain to her that it's most likely a fake letter and it's very common that people recieve letters like this, she then got angry at my mom claiming she was just jealous :crylaugh:

Genuine question, do you believe it is better if...

A - She believes it to be true and pursues the money on the slim chance it might happen. She either gets rich (unlikely) or she is ridiculed for believing in such a thing (likely)

B - She doesn't believe it to be true and ignores the money, resulting in no slim chance of a(n unlikely) windfall but also no ridicule

I'm not trolling, I used to have a view on this situations until I read something this week that changed my approach slightly.

6 minutes ago, PongRiddims said:

A - She believes it to be true and pursues the money on the slim chance it might happen. She either gets rich (unlikely) or she is ridiculed for believing in such a thing (likely)

B - She doesn't believe it to be true and ignores the money, resulting in no slim chance of a(n unlikely) windfall but also no ridicule

I'm not trolling, I used to have a view on this situations until I read something this week that changed my approach slightly.

What did you read that changed your mind ?

What did you read that changed your mind ?

Answer the question and I'll tell you :)

B ofcourse, cause it's not true.

OK, as would I.

What I read was called Pascal's Wager, his argument was about religion, but his point was if there is a slight chance of something incredible happening, are you not better to believe it could and reap the rewards if it did, than ignore it entirely.

I'd imagine at some point there has been an American who has left a fortune to a long lost relative overseas, so it could happen, it could be true. With that in mind, is the ridicule in believing it worth the money you could potentially receive?

It's a tricky one, because automatic response is always to side on the fact of it being so unlikely it's ALMOST impossible, but imagine if there was $10.000.000 out there with your name potentially on it, and you completely turned it down because you didn't want to be ridiculed.

Â