Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

More than that surly. Would get pretty freaking cold very quickly though with maybe some strange weather. Cue burning Shakespare, the bible and the Harry Potter series, and finally eating that pot noodle and the dog food that has been in the cupboard for 20 years.

On that note I helped my mom defrost the freezer the other day and we found left overs from her 50th birthday in there. She's 64 this year!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

8 minutes

That's the time, from the sun going out, that Earth would receive the sun's last light.

Interesting question though,  We couldn't grow crops on any scale, vitamins from the sun would be bad for any living thing.  I'd say, with current food storages & energy capacity, about 6 18 months maybe? 

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Lived in Kent for a bit, they referred to pop as a can of drink. Freaks.

I live in Kent (although Midlander by birth) Pop is absolutely a midlands thing and reminds me of my Grandma. 

Are we assuming the heat from the sun would stay around after it "went out", or are we assuming no heat?

Because if it's the latter then surely we'd freeze almost instantly?

If the former I reckon it'd be longer than we think. I bet the heat would stick around for a while.

I'd guess humans could survive (as a race) for 18 months (as in be in existence)

Based on more or less nothing :D

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Are we assuming the heat from the sun would stay around after it "went out", or are we assuming no heat?

Because if it's the latter then surely we'd freeze almost instantly?

If the former I reckon it'd be longer than we think. I bet the heat would stick around for a while.

I'd guess humans could survive (as a race) for 18 months (as in be in existence)

Based on more or less nothing :D

How long could technology keep us going?

Assuming no heat, we could heat our homes/cars etc you'd think for a while at least. I guess we'd have to upspec a lot of stuff to manage. I'm assuming it being about zero degree's. Someone clever will probably tell me that it would be about -300 degrees C without any sunlight :lol: but that takes the fun out of it...

Food would be an issue I'd guess. Farming would be incredibly difficult without natural sunlight.

Just now, Genie said:

How long could technology keep us going?

Assuming no heat, we could heat our homes/cars etc you'd think for a while at least. I guess we'd have to upspec a lot of stuff to manage. I'm assuming it being about zero degree's. Someone clever will probably tell me that it would be about -300 degrees C without any sunlight :lol: but that takes the fun out of it...

Food would be an issue I'd guess. Farming would be incredibly difficult without natural sunlight.

Well that's what I'm getting out.

If there was no sun, and no heat remaining from when it was here, then the temperature would be incredibly cold. I think your guess of -300 degrees isn't far off (absolute zero is approx -270 degrees IIRC so it wouldn't be much warmer than that)

But if we're taking into account residual heat then I guess some of that would stay around for a while.

Food would be the issue. No sunlight = no food

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Well that's what I'm getting out.

If there was no sun, and no heat remaining from when it was here, then the temperature would be incredibly cold. I think your guess of -300 degrees isn't far off (absolute zero is approx -270 degrees IIRC so it wouldn't be much warmer than that)

But if we're taking into account residual heat then I guess some of that would stay around for a while.

Food would be the issue. No sunlight = no food

There must be a way around making some foods 100% without sunlight? Assuming not, then I guess with all the food around at any given time I guess we'd all starve to death after a couple of months tops.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

There must be a way around making some foods 100% without sunlight? Assuming not, then I guess with all the food around at any given time I guess we'd all starve to death after a couple of months tops.

Well all plants would die, as they need the sun. And as far as I know, everything we eat relies on plants existing at some point.
Maybe somebody will correct me there...

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well all plants would die, as they need the sun. And as far as I know, everything we eat relies on plants existing at some point.

As the link I put on the previous page said, after 8 minutes (the last the Earth would receive the suns light), then all photosynthesis would stop, meaning nothing could grow, plants being the bottom of the food chain would mean the tiny, small and medium sized animals depending on them would die, entire food chains would collapse in a month or 2.

Heat isn't really the issue, the Earth has a molten core don't forget, so if you lived near a geothermal spring (like Iceland), you could keep warm for centuries.  Under ground of course because without the Sun, the seas would freeze over within a few weeks.

After a year, all residual heat from the surface of the Earth would be gone, so it'd be -400c on the surface, we'd have to turn into Mole people.

But according to the link I posted, a small number of humans could live on for generations without the sun.  You'd have to start getting used to freeze dried food though :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

What would kill us first then? Perhaps the most pressing issue would be the lack of oxygen.

Just now, tarjei said:

What would kill us first then? Perhaps the most pressing issue would be the lack of oxygen.

Big, established trees would live for years, because they don't need to photosythnesis to grow, plus, because they're so large and metabolise to slowly, they have years worth of sugars within them.

Trees would be A-ok for a while :) Just no saplings.

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

As the link I put on the previous page said, after 8 minutes (the last the Earth would receive the suns light), then all photosynthesis would stop, meaning nothing could grow, plants being the bottom of the food chain would mean the tiny, small and medium sized animals depending on them would die, entire food chains would collapse in a month or 2.

Heat isn't really the issue, the Earth has a molten core don't forget, so if you lived near a geothermal spring (like Iceland), you could keep warm for centuries.  Under ground of course because without the Sun, the seas would freeze over within a few weeks.

After a year, all residual heat from the surface of the Earth would be gone, so it'd be -400c on the surface, we'd have to turn into Mole people.

But according to the link I posted, a small number of humans could live on for generations without the sun.  You'd have to start getting used to freeze dried food though :)

We could grow food and create a new base for the food web with artificial sun lamps though couldn't we... like those naughty people do with their herb plants.

Â