Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Big, established trees would live for years, because they don't need to photosythnesis to grow, plus, because they're so large and metabolise to slowly, they have years worth of sugars within them.

Trees would be A-ok for a while :) Just no saplings.

But I thought they needed sunlight to convert co2 to oxygen. If they continued to live for years in the dark, would they continue to release oxygen into the atmosphere?

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

As the link I put on the previous page said, after 8 minutes (the last the Earth would receive the suns light), then all photosynthesis would stop, meaning nothing could grow, plants being the bottom of the food chain would mean the tiny, small and medium sized animals depending on them would die, entire food chains would collapse in a month or 2.

Heat isn't really the issue, the Earth has a molten core don't forget, so if you lived near a geothermal spring (like Iceland), you could keep warm for centuries.  Under ground of course because without the Sun, the seas would freeze over within a few weeks.

After a year, all residual heat from the surface of the Earth would be gone, so it'd be -400c on the surface, we'd have to turn into Mole people.

But according to the link I posted, a small number of humans could live on for generations without the sun.  You'd have to start getting used to freeze dried food though :)

But isn't heat generated by nuclear reaction in the earth's core?

If so it would continue.

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

So we'd all die, eventally... how long would it take?

Again, assuming that temperature remains the same, which seems to me to be a very weird assumption to make, but playing with it anyway, I would say the vast majority of animals on Earth would be dead within 3-4 weeks and the hardiest might take between two and three months. 

Leaving food aside, there would be a] violent rampages, and b] mass suicides as well. Don't underestimate the psychological damage that would come from being in that situation. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Generating electricity, especially enough to make enough light to replicate sunlight on a large scale, would be much more difficult without the sun too.

I imagine we'd have to rely on nuclear power?

Generating electricity, especially enough to make enough light to replicate sunlight on a large scale, would be much more difficult without the sun too.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Ignoring food and heat and just considering light.

Tromso in Norway (population in the tens of thousands) gets no sunrise or daylight between November and January.

Sure. But people living there are used to that (and even then they know that the sun will, one day, rise again). Most people wouldn't be able to get used to that, certainly not in the timeframe required, and keep in mind that 'the sun won't rise for three months' is really quite different to 'the sun won't rise again ever, because it's gone out'. Even now, tourists to Tromso to see the northern lights often report feeling depressed and listless during their visits. There's a whole chapter of one of Bill Bryson's books where he describes staying there for weeks on end in midwinter, it's safe to say he didn't enjoy it overly. 

53 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the reason Iceland was mentioned is the geothermal power sources there. 

Still, I think it would be really very little time before we all died. Let's say we were in the completely optimal position. Before the sun went out, we had constructed an underground lair in Iceland, with all immediate necessities, a geothermal power source and a hydroponic system for growing food. We also have access to clean water. What happens when a bulb goes in the hydroponic system? We couldn't manufacture another one. And things go wrong at power stations all the time, and no power station has an eternal lifespan. Even if the best case scenario, we'd simply be waiting for technical items to malfunction, one by one, dying slowly as they did so. 

My back is absolutely crippled. Not sure what I did to it. Maybe moving a mattress or lifting a heavy weight out of the way.. possibly with my back, but I thought I'd lifted with my legs. Anyway it's banjaxed. I've started roaring involuntarily in response to the pain of sitting down, or standing up, or walking or anything really, and I'll occasionally nnnnnggg when there's pain, to try to make it go away. Had it for the last 4 days now. Sleeping is a nightmare. I'll find a comfortable position and then an hour later the pain will wake me up. I think I should go to a doctor.

But I've an exam on Friday so I'm going to hold off til then. I'm too young to feel this old.

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Christmas Jumpers.

Is there anything that shouts "I'm a complete clearing in the woods" more than someone wearing a christmas jumper.

God damn I genuinely despise them. So lame. 

You must be a Muslim.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Christmas Jumpers.

Is there anything that shouts "I'm a complete clearing in the woods" more than someone wearing a christmas jumper.

God damn I genuinely despise them. So lame. 

Yup, it's no longer funny.  It was funny about ten years ago when they were brought back ironically.  It's way way over-done now. 

• Like 1

Â