Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

On 13/03/2021 at 19:36, sne said:

Just watched a documentary about a ultra Marathon called the Barkley Marathon. Really enjoyed it. Some great characters and some really impressive runners. The story around it is pretty fun and charming.

Highly recommend it. This one is about the 2012 race but there is another one about the 2016 & 2017 race called Where dreams go to die that is on Youtube. Watch The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young | Prime Video

This used to be on Netflix, and is one of the best docs I've ever seen. Highly recommended. Goes in directions you don't expect it to.

I've just watched the Caroline Flack documentary on Channel 4, and got to say it's a must watch if you're interested in mental health and celebrity culture.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2021 at 18:34, sne said:

Really looking forward to this one, is out now apparently.

50929759473566111902_thumb.jpg

That’s definitely on my list of things I want to see

EDIT: Just looked it up and they've put it on "General Release" already (in the UK). You pay £9.99 to stream it and pick which Independent Cinema you watch it through and presumably that cinema, although closed, also gets a cut of the money. It may be on my agenda this weekend now

• 2 weeks later...

Seaspiracy was a huge disappointment for me. I'd say it was almost terrible. 

They guy making it comes out like a kid who just found out about these things while googling and looking at Wikipedia. Surely if he's interested in these issues then he must have known about them. But he presents it as if he's just found out that the fishing industry is bad. The oceans are in a bad shape. "I just discovered that water is wet". No shit. He's presenting things a news that surely everyone has been aware of for decades.

Guess you can watch it as a entry level thing and then move on to more serious in dept documentaries but this is basically a big budget Youtube, kids level thing. Perhaps it's geared towards Zoomers and kids.

Seaspiracy (2021) - Rotten Tomatoes

I look forward to his next documentary where he discovers that war isn't as fun as the army recruitment guys make it out to be. 

Edited by sne
  • Haha 2

I watched a short documentry called 'Night and Fog'

Ten years after the Holocaust, Alain Resnais documents the abandoned grounds of Auschwitz while reflecting on the rise of Nazi ideology and the harrowing lives of the camp prisoners using haunting wartime footage.

This is on Sky Arts. Hansa Studios: By The Wall 1976 - 1990. A famous recording Studio, where many great albums were recorded. Bowie recorded Low and Heroes here. Iggy recorded Lust For Life here. And plenty more was recorded here in a studio right up by the Berlin Wall at the edge of Western Culture.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Just watching Finding Jack Charlton on BBC. Well worth a watch. Focuses on his time managing ROI. Paul McGrath is heavily featured as well. 

Yeah that was a good but tough watch at times. I was only nine during USA ‘94 but I remember it well because of Houghton, McGrath, Townsend etc... 

Dementia terrifies me. Seeing my man now and I just wish she would pass on. She doesn’t know any of us, even her own kids. You go see her for a bit, go for a piss and come back and it’s like it’s a new visit with someone else she doesn’t recognise. Heartbreaking. It’s just an existence. Once it’s clearly took hold it should be legal to just put them out of their misery, I hope once I’m old and if I ever get it then it’s possible to just take a bullet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Yeah that was a good but tough watch at times. I was only nine during USA ‘94 but I remember it well because of Houghton, McGrath, Townsend etc... 

Dementia terrifies me. Seeing my man now and I just wish she would pass on. She doesn’t know any of us, even her own kids. You go see her for a bit, go for a piss and come back and it’s like it’s a new visit with someone else she doesn’t recognise. Heartbreaking. It’s just an existence. Once it’s clearly took hold it should be legal to just put them out of their misery, I hope once I’m old and if I ever get it then it’s possible to just take a bullet.

Sorry to hear this mate. We had the same with my gran before she died. Last few years in a home, not understanding why and being desperate to go home and getting angry when you wouldn't help, asking where her husband is (he died when I was a kid). Hate to say it but made visits there horrible and I didn't like going as it wasn't her anymore. She would occasionally come out with some blinders though, once excitedly told me how she'd been deep sea fishing and caught a whale, or that she'd been out dancing with her friends and this strapping great big Norwegian man kept spinning her around. 

12 hours ago, sne said:

Anyone watched this one, any good?

White Riot - Movie Reviews

Watched it this morning, really was good.Thanks to @Bob Funkhousefor the info that it was on Sky. My only criticism is of the image there, it wasn't just a "Motley Crew of Punks", Steel Pulse, Matumbi and many other bands were not punks, it's even pretty hard to describe Tom Robinson as a punk, It was far more than just punks, as the film itself shows. I really didn't know the bit about the Clash and Steel Pulse holding a demonstration outside the NF Offices, that took some serious balls

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2021 at 19:21, StefanAVFC said:

I've always wondered. Not enough to watch the documentary mind you. It's the one drink I enjoy from Macca's, the thickshake. 

13 hours ago, Bob Funkhouse said:

Watched this, was enjoyable. Such a strange mix of people who went on to do vastly different things.

I'll have to give a third mention in this thread for a favourite documentary maker of mine, Ken Burns. He did a comprehensive 10 part series about baseball called, appropriately, Baseball. 

It's really a fascinating sport and the history of baseball completely mirrors the history of modern America which, of course, Burns tells brilliantly. Also some great stories about the individuals and also scandals that made baseball's reputation. 

It's on amazon but only if you have the PBS add on which is £2.50 a month. I'd recommend paying the £2.50 and seeing how many Ken Burns docs you can binge in a month.

He did a superb one on country music which was cut significantly when shown in the UK but the PBS version really was excellent. 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2021 at 22:10, markavfc40 said:

Just watching Finding Jack Charlton on BBC. Well worth a watch. Focuses on his time managing ROI. Paul McGrath is heavily featured as well. 

I thought it was really poignant when someone showed Jack the picture of McGrath and despite his dementia he instantly recognised who it was. I think that also speaks volumes of how good of a player Paul was.

• Like 2

I watched a Billie Holiday doc on BBC iplayer. It was based around some tapes that had been recently found. Apparently, some female reporter was planning on writing a biography about her and spoke to various musicians and friends who knew her, but the book never materialised.  I won't reveal the rest, just to say, it's quite a sad watch but very interesting. 

IMDb The water of Life 2021

A feature documentary about the craftsmen, chemists, and renegades who saved scotch whisky and start a single malt revolution.

Should be a good one, can't find it any where yet, tried all the usual oceans and rivers, anyone finds it, please share, thanks.

Â