Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

"Dr. Death"

There is a drama starring Alex Baldwin & Christian Slater - on Peacock over here.

Documentary is on Netflix.

TL;DR Surgeon wold open people up and smash their in spines into pieces, or kill them & sometimes decapitate them. Badly trained? Coke head? F'in insane? All of the the above!

• Sad 1

Maybe not a documentary you "have to watch" but I got stuck watching a Norwegian documentary called The quest for Tonewood about a man who builds violines.

One of those I'd never had found if it wasn't for Swedish telly. I always enjoy stuff about passionate nerds who are masters of what they do and this was one of those.

The description kinda sums it up:

"With maple trees from the Balkan forest, you can create an invaluable violin - as prestigious as the original Stradivarius. When violin maker Gaspar Borchardt cycled through Bosnia in his twenties, he found the most perfect tree he had ever seen, but did not take it home. Determined to find it forty years later, he has embarked on an unforgettable journey to build the perfect instrument for the world-renowned violinist Janine Jensen

A luthier is obsessed with the idea of crafting a violin, the sound of which is so exceptional that it will thrill the musician who plays it and caress the souls of those who hear it. This will require a special type of wood, cut from a hallowed tree that is only found in a Balkan forest. A musical quest that is as thrilling as a high-stakes treasure hunt." 

Claire's Quest

• Like 1

Summer of Soul (...or, When The Revolution Could Not Be Televised) is streaming on Star, on Disney + at the moment. Found footage of a cultural festival in Harlem in 1969. Fried gold. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Watch the Music (with Mark Ronson) was pretty good. Each of the six episodes looks at a different aspect of making music. Lots of good interviews and a good (if high-level) insight into making different kinds of music. 
I can’t profess to be a particular fan of Ronson but he is clearly something of a scholar when it comes to music and I warmed to him somewhat through the six episodes. 

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is there anything reliable about how he is?

I think the last update was he couldn't walk or talk, and that was 6-7 years ago.

With it being so many years without him being seen and no updates on his health, it's quite likely he's in a vegitative state, and he's not going to improve. If that is the state he's in, I just hope he doesn't have enough awareness to experience it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think the last update was he couldn't walk or talk, and that was 6-7 years ago.

With it being so many years without him being seen and no updates on his health, it's quite likely he's in a vegitative state, and he's not going to improve. If that is the state he's in, I just hope he doesn't have enough awareness to experience it. 

My assumption has been that he’s in a vegatitive state hence why the family are not sharing details.

Lots of people must know but sworn to secrecy by the family.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Lots of people must know but sworn to secrecy by the family.

Yeah, and the family has said before that they're following his wishes, I'd guess he had left instructions of what he'd want to happen if he was ever seriously injured in a crahand people are respecting that

• Like 1

4 episodes in to 9/11 turning point 

surprised by what it is, wouldn’t say that it goes in to great depth and definitely nothing new about the day itself but the insight in what changed after it makes it worthwhile 

it goes after the yanks that’s for sure which is the biggest surprise, if you already thought they were a batshit crazy war monger it country who have bizarre policies this adds more fuel to the fire

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Watched Ramones End of The Century last night. Pretty good, only disappointing aspect was the speedy appraisal of their late career. Enjoyable though, weird for my daughter to tell me she finds them a bit shit. Odd way of being written out of my will. 

• Haha 3

On 22/08/2021 at 06:51, sne said:

Maybe not a documentary you "have to watch" but I got stuck watching a Norwegian documentary called The quest for Tonewood about a man who builds violines.

One of those I'd never had found if it wasn't for Swedish telly. I always enjoy stuff about passionate nerds who are masters of what they do and this was one of those.

The description kinda sums it up:

"With maple trees from the Balkan forest, you can create an invaluable violin - as prestigious as the original Stradivarius. When violin maker Gaspar Borchardt cycled through Bosnia in his twenties, he found the most perfect tree he had ever seen, but did not take it home. Determined to find it forty years later, he has embarked on an unforgettable journey to build the perfect instrument for the world-renowned violinist Janine Jensen

A luthier is obsessed with the idea of crafting a violin, the sound of which is so exceptional that it will thrill the musician who plays it and caress the souls of those who hear it. This will require a special type of wood, cut from a hallowed tree that is only found in a Balkan forest. A musical quest that is as thrilling as a high-stakes treasure hunt." 

Claire's Quest

My wife is a violist and the top violin shop/repairer in the USA is in Albuquerque New Mexico. I had no idea of that and I'm a professional musician.

Tagging along with her one day my mind was blown. This shop has BILLIONS of dollars of inventory on site in the shape of celli, violins, violas and double basses. They let her try a few different violas that they have in their recital hall while she was waiting for her repair. Now keep in mind that violas are really cheap compared to violins, but the cheapest one she tried that day was $1.4 million. :o

My big take away - I just could not stop imagining a Breaking Bad episode where Walt and co. break in to steal some crazy expensive string instruments. The security they have there must be state of the art. (It's not just the monetary value they have. Fine string instruments are irreplaceable works of art.)

But thanks for this Sne - something Mrs. Authority and I will actually enjoy watching together!

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

My wife is a violist and the top violin shop/repairer in the USA is in Albuquerque New Mexico. I had no idea of that and I'm a professional musician.

Tagging along with her one day my mind was blown. This shop has BILLIONS of dollars of inventory on site in the shape of celli, violins, violas and double basses. They let her try a few different violas that they have in their recital hall while she was waiting for her repair. Now keep in mind that violas are really cheap compared to violins, but the cheapest one she tried that day was $1.4 million. :o

My big take away - I just could not stop imagining a Breaking Bad episode where Walt and co. break in to steal some crazy expensive string instruments. The security they have there must be state of the art. (It's not just the monetary value they have. Fine string instruments are irreplaceable works of art.)

But thanks for this Sne - something Mrs. Authority and I will actually enjoy watching together!

Nice! Was thinking this might be something you'd be interested in.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â