Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

49 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Quite interested in the Sparks doc by Edgar Wright - very quirky band! 

Yep that's on my list too after hearing something about it yesterday on t'radio

• Like 1

Steve McQueen’s uprising on iPlayer is a great piece of work. It centres on the New across fire in 1981 where a teenage birthday party ended up in 13 deaths and the subsequent protest movement that led to the Black People’s day of action protests and following riots in Brixton. 
It’s uncomfortable watching but an important (untold) part of the history of this country. Feels entirely timely.

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

The Civil War.. a film by Ken Burns.

Made In 1990, a 9 part series, 10+ hours of outstanding documentary film making. Cant recommend it highly enough. 

The only slight gripe is that it could have gone in to more detail about how deplorable and how desperate for those unfortunate people who were on the wrong side of the slavery business. Don't let that put you off though as it's essential viewing of a high order.

Edited by Phil Silvers

Early September Netflix have a doc from the book blood brothers which is about the relationship between malcom x and Muhammad Ali, the book is great so got high hopes for that 

They've also got a 5 part series of sports docs called Untold which could be interesting 

Started A Murder in West Cork but didn't get far. I could see that they were dragging everything out so they could make it a 3 parter. Don't need to hear about what route the detectives took from Dublin to West Cork or where they parked once they got there. Zzzzzzzzz.

On 27/07/2021 at 22:35, maqroll said:

Started A Murder in West Cork but didn't get far. I could see that they were dragging everything out so they could make it a 3 parter. Don't need to hear about what route the detectives took from Dublin to West Cork or where they parked once they got there. Zzzzzzzzz.

You're missing out. it's a good watch.

The 5 parter on Sky was them really dragging it out.

To be honest i think they pack a lot into the Netflix one. There's plenty of stuff they left out too

On 27/07/2021 at 22:35, maqroll said:

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You're missing out. it's a good watch.

The 5 parter on Sky was them really dragging it out.

To be honest i think they pack a lot into the Netflix one. There's plenty of stuff they left out too

So whats the general feeling on that Bailey fella?

Mentioned it in the film thread, but if you're interested in music and enjoy band biopics I'd recommend seeing The Sparks Brothers. It's long but very entertaining and funny and it was clearly a labour of love for Edgar Wright. 

• Like 1

Documentary night last night with my mates - a great excuse to get a pizza in and drink stupid amounts of red wine!

last night we got through -

The Beastie Boys - absolutely brilliant in tone and premise. The onstage memoir style was very good indeed.

Zappa - interesting but didn’t quite hit the heights of The Beastie Boys. Informative but not so ‘entertaining’. Interesting and talented character.

The Sparks Brothers - another corker. Really well made and fun to watch. 

Safe to say my mates left mine around 3am and 6 bottles of red lighter! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Documentary night last night with my mates - a great excuse to get a pizza in and drink stupid amounts of red wine!

last night we got through -

The Beastie Boys - absolutely brilliant in tone and premise. The onstage memoir style was very good indeed.

Zappa - interesting but didn’t quite hit the heights of The Beastie Boys. Informative but not so ‘entertaining’. Interesting and talented character.

The Sparks Brothers - another corker. Really well made and fun to watch. 

Safe to say my mates left mine around 3am and 6 bottles of red lighter! 

If you lot yodeled I'm unfriending you.

• Haha 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

If you lot yodeled I'm unfriending you.

😂😂😂

If I did, it wouldn’t be for a f@&?ing vegetarian one 😂

we’re lucky to have a great local independent pizza place that’s half the price of those yodelling dicks! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Funnily enough yes! It was mentioned and they had a chuckle about it.

it’s worth watching. 

I worked that gig... Stage Door Security. There's a chapter in my autobiography that I'll never write in that night and it's aftermath

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

I worked that gig... Stage Door Security. There's a chapter in my autobiography that I'll never write in that night and it's aftermath

You’ll have to post more about that night at some point 😁

• Haha 1

On 21/07/2021 at 18:48, choffer said:

Steve McQueen’s uprising on iPlayer is a great piece of work. It centres on the New across fire in 1981 where a teenage birthday party ended up in 13 deaths and the subsequent protest movement that led to the Black People’s day of action protests and following riots in Brixton. 
It’s uncomfortable watching but an important (untold) part of the history of this country. Feels entirely timely.

I'm just on part 3 now. Really moving stuff. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t know how long it’s been on there but the Kipchoge documentary on Sky/Nowtv is something special. 

All about his attempt to run a sub-two hour marathon.

I’m barely a fan of athletics and I knew little of him other than knowing the name but what a man. 

Â