Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

12 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I watched the Cecil Hotel doc. I thought it was very disappointing. If I want the opinion of so called Web Sleuth idiots then I'd subscribe to their crappy YouTube channels.

Exactly, it was total bullshit. It's pretty clear that she

Spoiler

had a mental episode and climbed into the tank

Everything else was window dressing.

48 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Exactly, it was total bullshit. It's pretty clear that she

Reveal hidden contents

had a mental episode and climbed into the tank

Everything else was window dressing.

i thought the point of it was to take you on a journey of ‘mystery’ that these people got caught up in, before bluntly revealing the cold truth in a warning against these sleuth type behaviours in the final episode. seemed a very intentional route to me anyway.

that one sleuth that sent someone to her grave to touch it for him was a **** creep.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, a m ole said:

i thought the point of it was to take you on a journey of ‘mystery’ that these people got caught up in, before bluntly revealing the cold truth in a warning against these sleuth type behaviours in the final episode. seemed a very intentional route to me anyway.

that one sleuth that sent someone to her grave to touch it for him was a **** creep.

Parasites just swarm in Los Angeles, it's pretty gross.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've now watched the third and fourth parts of the Adam Curtis series, I thought the third one was very good and the fourth was fantastic. 

He's succeeded in taking some of those personal stories through to a bigger picture of the world and society in which we live, whether he can join that to a conclusion is pretty difficult to see, but the change of gear through parts three and four is excellent I think.

Part four is a brilliant piece of work, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

I’ve devoured most of his work and am two episodes in to this latest piece. I’m always left with two main thoughts:

1. I wish I could retain even a fraction of what I’d learned 

2. I wish I was clever enough to do something useful with this newly acquired knowledge

• Like 3

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

He was a very odd character, it’s like he was in love with her, even though he didn’t know her. 

What about the death metal dude, they really screwed his life up. No consequences for the nosy bastards (I don’t want to call them sleuths). 

• Like 1

I watched 7 Days in Kigali the other day, it’s about the Rwandan genocide in 1994. It follows a few people through their experiences of the first week it erupted. Some seriously horrible things took place. An average of 10,000 Tutsi’s a day were massacred for 100 days. It’s quite a heart rendering watch, but sort of essential if you want to know what happened. 

I couldn’t help but think about where I was around that time. I was 14 and watching the USA World Cup, without a care in the world and no idea that child soldiers were hacking innocent people to death with machetes just a few thousand miles away 😢

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I watched 7 Days in Kigali the other day, it’s about the Rwandan genocide in 1994. It follows a few people through their experiences of the first week it erupted. Some seriously horrible things took place. An average of 10,000 Tutsi’s a day were massacred for 100 days. It’s quite a heart rendering watch, but sort of essential if you want to know what happened. 

I couldn’t help but think about where I was around that time. I was 14 and watching the USA World Cup, without a care in the world and no idea that child soldiers were hacking innocent people to death with machetes just a few thousand miles away 😢

.They'd hack at their achilles tendon first so they couldn't run away. A fever dream of horrors. Really disturbing. Neighbors slaughtering neighbors. All egged on by a local Hutu radio station. Genocide in Bosnia that summer too. It can happen anywhere, and it will happen again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

.They'd hack at their achilles tendon first so they couldn't run away. A fever dream of horrors. Really disturbing. Neighbors slaughtering neighbors. All egged on by a local Hutu radio station. Genocide in Bosnia that summer too. It can happen anywhere, and it will happen again.

You’re not wrong there, it’s only a matter of the right political conditions and time. 

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

He was a very odd character, it’s like he was in love with her, even though he didn’t know her. 

What about the death metal dude, they really screwed his life up. No consequences for the nosy bastards (I don’t want to call them sleuths). 

Poor old Morbid. If it isn't hard enough being a death metal, freak in Mexico. He actually ended up being sectioned. 

I thought the ex hotel manager was a little off key.

Edited by sheepyvillian

Just finished the end of the Adam Curtis series on the iplayer and it is fantastic.

The last couple of episodes are brilliant, he does somehow manage to bring the whole thing together into a coherent conclusion - he draws lines through Tupac to Cummings to Putin and Trump that make perfect sense, combines the influences of AI and psychology and their effect on the everyday in a way that's understandable, revelatory and yet clear and most wonderfully of all manages to finish with what might almost be a happy ending.

The future is not yet written, history is not over and we should cling to the dream of revolutionary thoughts.

Marvellous.

• Like 3

Watched the Cecil hotel thing, it’s unintentionally a documentary on how social media are experts in **** everything 

“I’ve read a lot of autopsy reports and this one is unusual” says a blogger about a qualified professional who actually did the work...**** behave 

and how the addiction or whatever you want to call it of chasing these mysteries effects peoples lives

unfortunately they either don’t want it to be that or didn’t realise what it was and don’t pursue that angle enough, so as it is it’s just a “fairly” straight forward thing padded out with idiots off YouTube, the interest is in what the sleuths are doing and how stupid they are and potentially ruining lives and the case, it’s a documentary about people with questionable mental health in more ways than one...

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3

Enjoying age of samurai on Netflix, well thought out and probably uses the most of its budget albeit its shame they haven't got more acted scenes, I think it focuses well on the characters and touches on other stuff rather than focusing on what the samurai were or battle tactics, it doesn't treat you like an idiot even though with all the names and places it is relatively complicated at times, it mentions the name of a castle that you wont remember but is ultimately irrelevant as long as you remember the names of who is doing what 

The sengoku period is a really interesting and violent one so it lends well for documentaries and should be in a few more films too

Â