Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Now on a 1986 special, The MP for the Unemployed where a 4 year unemployed guy swaps places with Tory MP Matthew Parris. Again, fascinating.

There's a bit where both of them visit a farm which is prevented from producing their full potential of milk by common market quotas. You can see the anti EU sentiment bubbling away back then.

Edited by darrenm

Anyone watching, "The Trial" on Netflix? It's about a black lad in Boston who was fitted up by the Boston police department for murdering a policeman. It's quite scary how openly racist the Boston police were. Fascinating stuff.

Edited by sheepyvillian

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Anyone watching, "The Trial" on Netflix? It's about a black lad in Boston who was fitted up by the Boston police department for murdering a policeman. It's quite scary how openly racist the Boston police were. Fascinating stuff.

Finished it, its great, scary stuff with several parts of it that echoed making a murderer 

Watched the new Werner Herzog documentary Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds and sadly it wasn't really that interesting. It's about meteors, comets and their influence on various civilizations so it should be good but isn't as good as I hoped.

Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds Poster

Watched surviving R Kelly as its finally been added to Netflix here

My ignorance at the time was that it was one for the showbiz pages of the red tops and I had no interest in it, he was having sex with 16, 17, 18 year olds and the different state laws was catching him out and they were groupies and he was a rich famous superstar and it was wrong and dirty but not necessarily somethibg the 70s hadn't been full of

So I was a bit wrong... Its harrowing, at times difficult to watch, I found myself increasingly enraged by his manager and security, this is a ring, 10+ enablers who should be up the wall too, was surprised by the aaliyah stuff as I like her music and it showed me just how deep my ignorance was

I think it's overly American, Netflix haven't edited it so you can see where the dumbness of American TV comes up (10% of it is coming up and previously stuff) and personally I think surviving epstein did a better job of explaining what type of victim he targeted and how he rewarded them to get his claws in so deep

On 18/11/2020 at 11:17, villa4europe said:

Finished it, its great, scary stuff with several parts of it that echoed making a murderer 

I finished it on Thursday. America should hang It's head in shame with it's litany of judicial failures with the great majority of them having a black man has the victim.

I thought Sean Ellis came out of the documentary with his dignity fully intact, how he managed that, I don't know. And where would people like Sean be, if it wasn't for the sheer doggedness of lawyers like Rosemary Scapacchio. What a beautiful soul, she is.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2020 at 06:14, sheepyvillian said:

Look up the Charles stuart case. BPD has always been deeply racist and corrupt. Like most American big city police departments. 

14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Look up the Charles stuart case. BPD has always been deeply racist and corrupt. Like most American big city police departments. 

The Behind the Bastards podcast has recently covered the Portland police union, declaring it the worst in America and a shining example of why police unions are bad (not least of which seems to be because they're the blueprint for how they act across the country), it seems like the US police 'sector' is **** from top to bottom. 

On 14/10/2020 at 10:23, Brumerican said:

I haven't watched the Watts thing on Netflix due to the Aaron Hernandez doc putting me off those for life,  but I did watch the JCS breakdowns that @Stevo985 suggested and they are incredible.

Part 1 The discovery

Part 2 The Polygraph

Part 3 The Confession

Chris Watts Mistress || What Netflix DIDN’T tell you about Nichol Kessinger!

Like I said I haven't watched the doc but just based off the polygraph and confessions I'd bet good money his mistress should be facing some sort of justice too but she changed her name and did a runner.!   

Just found this thread (I guess as near to the top) and watched these.  Really interesting stuff and an absolutely horrible case. 

That last link you’ve given - the bit where they’re describing the murders in it made me feel sick. I guess nothing else went into the detail of it (I don’t know if the Netflix documentary did?) but honestly, how could he do that? I’m a father to 2 daughters so maybe it just hit home particularly hard. 

23 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Netflix 4 part Yorkshire ripper documentary is good, I know of him but that was about it going in to it, those who are older or who know the case might think it has nothing to say but for me it worked 

I’ve been watching this, got the last part to watch tonight. Like you, I knew a bit about him, but there is so much more that I didn’t know. Like how intent the police and media were to make it just about prostitutes. The assumption that the first victim was a prostitute, with no evidence of her being so. The contrast in the way they described the victims was shocking. Non-prossies were innocent victims, while the others were basically asking for it. I know it was different times back then, but the sexism looks unbelievable in 2020. 

I also knew the Sutcliffe killed his victims with a claw hammer, but didn’t know about the mutilations or him revisiting the bodies to move them into more visible positions. It’s a good documentary, captures the time well IMO.

I still think the who they are card would be played but people would be less accepting of that rhetoric, people are less trusting of the red tops 

The thing that surprised me the most was how sporadic it was, no pattern to the timings of the killings, not sure if a reason for that has ever been given, the gaps between each one goes against a lot of the other serial killer stuff I've seen

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Dunno if this has been posted before but I found this quite fascinating both on the history of punk and the social commentary that runs through it. We're almost back there

You'd definitely think so wouldn't you

There's so much to be said right no, music in the next couple of years really should flourish 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the Boomtown Rats doc on BBC I player. Didn't realise they were such a controversy in their own home of Ireland. It's amazing how grim Ireland was in the 70s and how much power the Catholic church held. Geldof certainly didn't hold back in his criticism of the status quo. 

It was good to be reminded again of the pyjama wearing, Johnny Fingers. I used to think he was a cool cat when I was a kid. 

On 07/12/2020 at 13:39, Seat68 said:

This is out on Friday I believe. 

Watched it last night, its very good, obviously know who they are but don't particularly appreciate them, my mom was a fan when I was growing up but only of the pop stuff so it was interesting for me both in terms of them and the early music, the 3 brothers are likeable, the interviewees all work and its well put together 

Might watch Saturday night fever again, watched it years ago and was surprised by what it actually is, it's got a bit of grit to it, its the first film I ever heard the word word removed used, pretty much hand in hand with the band, it's not what you expect it to be, it's not just a cheesy disco film, it's actually a lot better than that and doesn't get its credit 

• Like 1

Â