Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

• 2 weeks later...

Some great doc's on that Sky documentries

Just watched "The united way". A little poor I thought, more about Cantona than anything else really, although I guess he did help write it. He always comes across very modest, but for me, he was the definition of the egotistical footballer, got everything his own way, great player though to be fair. I wanted to see when Ronaldo came along, but it didn't go that far.

Also watched Inmate#1, Danny Trejo, well worth a watch, what a great guy that man is, ard as nails too.

• 3 weeks later...

Inspired by the report coming out this week, at last, started watching the Murder in the Car Park doc on the Daniel Morgan case. 

Not yet finished it but the first part is certainly very well done. It's the classic talking head format interspersed with recreations of the events as recalled by those involved (including where they contradict each other). 

Also underlines, if it wasn't certain before, that that whole case was clearly dodgy as **** from the very beginning. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2021 at 12:33, theboyangel said:

This looks a great watch and is free on Sky Arts next Saturday night.

I cannot profess to know much about Robert Lloyd and/or The Nightingales but as it’s set in Brum with Stewart Lee narrating/interviewing I’ll be watching it. 

Finally just got around to watching this. It's f***ing brillaint

• Like 2

On 12/04/2021 at 18:37, theboyangel said:

Just watched and really enjoyed The Battered Bastards Of Baseball, regardless of knowing nothing about American Rounders.

fascinating underdog story! 

(it’s on Netflix!) 

Excellent documentary. Shows how Major League Baseball gobbled up all the small independent ball clubs all over the country, turned them into franchisee feeder clubs and ruined the grassroots. The Bastards put up a valiant fight against them. It could have only happened in the 1970s.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Just watched Tiger on Sky Documentaries and was very good. Tiger Woods is made/moulded differently. 

He strikes me as a rather awful person.

• Like 1

Watched framing Brittany Spears last night, it was good but in reflection it seemed to miss lots of opportunities

Thought it could have been longer and gone in to her success story a bit more and then definitely in the media intrusion of her life a lot more, plus then also more on sexism and misogyny and then finally more on mental health rather than just showing it they could and should have detailed it

Felt very sorry for her come the end, both in terms of her dad but then more what the media had done to her before that 

People who say even recently about Meg and Harry about not wanting the press in their lives but yet they still use TV when they want to - watch the 30 mins in the middle of this and say its acceptable... Its disgusting, I'd rather be in the gutter with nothing than live that life 

Finished the 3 part ghisliane maxwell documentary last night. 

I wonder if she's gonna spill the beans in return for a lighter sentence (if convicted of course) ? If so, there's bound to be a few CEO, higher rollers, politicians and even royalty with twitchy bums.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2021 at 09:48, Genie said:

This passed me by at the time, the documentary looks like a good watch.

I've read a lot about this and pleased to see it being properly documented.  This would've been my absolute dream lineup when I was in my late teens (I'd still quite like it now tbh). 

But the festival was an unmitigated disaster, a far cry from the vibe of Woodstock 69.  I heard a lot of the problems came from the sheer heat and the only accessible water being bottles that were being charged at around $4.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I've read a lot about this and pleased to see it being properly documented.  This would've been my absolute dream lineup when I was in my late teens (I'd still quite like it now tbh). 

But the festival was an unmitigated disaster, a far cry from the vibe of Woodstock 69.  I heard a lot of the problems came from the sheer heat and the only accessible water being bottles that were being charged at around $4.

I have been to a US festival and it was not as we know it. I went to the warped tour in 2006. It was **** dry for a start as apparently Underoath requested it. Not sure if that’s true but I could not get a drink. Also it was blistering heat without shade as it was in the **** car park of Dodgers Stadium in LA. Zero shade. Blistering heat. Finally again the only water available was bottles and they were stupid prices. 
I did get to see a few bands on home turf and a few that I had always wanted to see but otherwise it was a nightmare. 

Just watched Hotel Coolgardie on Amazon.

Two Finnish girls go and work in a bar in an outback mining town in Western Australia.

Starts out as a funny fish out of water story, but turns into something a bit more heavy and disturbing. Recommend.

started this is pop on netflix, really enjoying it, each episode has its own theme so episode 1 was boyz to men, 2 was auto tune and t pain, 3 was why are the swedish great pop producers

very light hearted with some great content and plenty of guilty pleasures

end of the road is a brilliant song, its good to see its place in time explained

• Thanks 1

Â